Harley2290
Participant
@harley2290

Going to keep all my stuff here from now on..

A couple of finished pieces, and an acrylic painting of a hanya mask in the early stages:

trafford2012050200867.jpg
Based on a shige design:
img2012043000850.jpg
trafford2012050200865.jpg
skulltqj.jpg
trafford20120424008171.jpg

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I’m assuming you’re posting these up for critique since all the other stuff you’ve posted on here has been. Here’s what I think.

The eyes on the first one look pretty good. The rest of it looks a bit out of shape though.

The dragon is pretty good. Try tracing it and adding color. Research how guys like Horiyoshi III and Horimoto color things and try to emulate it.

I’m not feeling the Hannya.

The skull looks good too. Try adding more values in your shading though. When you think you’ve put enough black in a drawing, add some more. It seems counter intuitive but the more black and dark shading, the more bright and colorful your final product will be.

Watch what elements you put with Koi. A Koi swimming upwards should have Japanese maple leaves in the drawing instead of cherry blossoms. Koi swim upstream in the fall to spawn, so leaves will be falling. They swim down stream in the spring when the cherry blossoms will be falling.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

very well said david, proportion way off on first piece, jawline, mouth it is all off, farther eye is bigger than nearer, etc
hanya missed by a long shot, refer to references,
old dragon is close
skull is pretty good, mandible is kinda sharp shaped but heck some are (I own several skulls)
I like the front half of the koi, bodyu is too long for me, david mentioned elements that do not fit tradition, not bad, strange shaped piece overall

Harley2290
Participant
@harley2290
mrchen;112721 wrote:
very well said david, proportion way off on first piece, jawline, mouth it is all off, farther eye is bigger than nearer, etc
hanya missed by a long shot, refer to references,
old dragon is close
skull is pretty good, mandible is kinda sharp shaped but heck some are (I own several skulls)
I like the front half of the koi, bodyu is too long for me, david mentioned elements that do not fit tradition, not bad, strange shaped piece overall

Hey, Had no idea about the koi variants of upstream and downstream involving different things, so thanks for that. The koi was actually designed as a 3/4 sleeve fitting piece, with the windbars at the top fitting around a shoulder

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

There are all sorts of rules with Japanese tattoos. Many are broken frequently, but I try not to deviate too much in my drawings.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.