ArniVidar
@arnividar
backinburntcity;80736 wrote:
I know I would go crazy looking at it now that I do think about it.

Hah! Made you think!! 😀

buttwheat;80754 wrote:
This is priceless. Yes go for it. Does your sister approve?

LOL. I could smell the sarcasm all the way to Iceland :p

backinburntcity;80741 wrote:
It would go on my left arm, and be about 9cm across, starting from the crook of my elbow. A little plain, but heh, a much more simple meaning.

Well, most people in here will give you the same response on that one: Straight text is extremely boring.
Banners and backgrounds and stuff like that can salvage, depending on tastes, but overall (for me) text just doesn’t work very well. And this comes from someone who actually plans on getting some text on him, and has no clue how to make it look not-horrible 😀

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The key thing to a text tattoo is that you have to plan ahead.

1. Choose a font that is legible at first reading – if you don’t you will spend your life saying it reads….

2. Sizing have it big enough so does not merge into a blob of messy ink.

3. Spell it right! I am serious I have seen so many tattoos with poor grammar, wrong spelling, and wrong translations my headaches.

4. The key part is leave enough room to expand on the piece should you want to add background or incorporate another tattoo into it.

5. Placement – make it fit the place you want without bunching and get the flow consistent to the shape of your body.

Some say plain text is boring I disagree it can look as good as any fine detail tattoo – it is just another form of art. I personally intend to get some text done on my collarbones in the near future.

Also with regards to the other tattoo idea – we do not want to piss on your bonfire but find that the honesty gained from making the errors or seeing the errors made on first ink is invaluable and really needs to be passed on to save disappointment.

Take care
Matthew

backinburntcity
Participant
@backinburntcity

Glad to entertain you, baby-with-a-cigarette.

So Arni thinks straight text is boring, and Matthew disagrees. I did mention already that my text design is kinda plain, but I think I agree with Matthew that it’s just a different, simpler kind of body art. I like the idea of something simple rather than ornate or extravagant anyway, if it’s something that will be on my body.

ArniVidar;80784 wrote:
This comes from someone who actually plans on getting some text on him, and has no clue how to make it look not-horrible 😀

Why not add some background/banner, like you mentioned? Maybe I should do something like that to my text. I think I’ll just ask whichever artist I choose to work if he has any ideas, or draw some kind of banner or something myself, as I’m kind of an artist.

And thanks for your tips Matthew. Don’t worry, I will MAKE SURE it’s spelt right when(if) I get this.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

I realize that this is from back in January, but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here who explained all of the reasons NOT to get certain types of tattoos so eloquently. I really got a lot out of the responses to this thread, although after reading everything and seeing that this person is no longer a member I am seriously suspicious of the validity of the thread starter. I think that this would be a great sticky, I know I learned a ton from it!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Well obviosly you don’t agree with it otherwise you wouldn’t be posting it on here for our opinion. So our opinion doesn’t matter!

If you don’t agree with it don’t get it..

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.