tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

hay all. over the past few months ive been doing a fair bit of drawing…. wanting to become a tattoo artist eventually (waiting till im 18 to get an apprenticeship) ive been trying to improve my line work and designs.

here are some of my best….
    all free hand… no stenciling used….

please leave comments and critisizm….

PHTO0074.jpg

PHTO0075.jpg

PHTO0076.jpg

PHTO0077.jpg

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

PHTO0078.jpg

PHTO0080.jpg

PHTO0079.jpg

PHTO0081.jpg

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

PHTO0082.jpg

PHTO0085.jpg

PHTO0047.jpg

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Tattman

You certainly have some innate talent for art and I could see you working well in a trad/flash environment.

The comments below are constructive criticism:

Shading – some of the pictures would benefit from different grade pencils to bring out the light and darker elements. Many of your swallows are some good attempts but they need more physical outlining.

There are a few wobbly lines around the facial features of your animals – nothing major but something to practice on.

Blossoms – Need to tighten up on the petals and get them more rounded.

My suggestions are this;

Draw everyday – everything and anything people, animals, cartoons, buildings. This will move you out of comfort zones and into doing stuff (which as a tattoo artist will be expected to draw and ink pretty much anything)

Tracing – Do not be afraid to get into the habit of tracing drawings along with your free-hand. By doing this hundreds of times you will be able to compose complex drawings freehand in your sleep.

In fact as an apprentice you will be expected to draw and trace stuff like flowers and blossoms until you scream at the sight of them. It trains the eye and hand to the shape of commonly requested tattoos.

Hands/paws/claws feet and faces – draw these a lot whether trace or free hand. One of the hardest things in art is doing these especially hands and feet.

I like where your art is heading and wish the best of luck to you in your career – stay with it!

Matthew

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

thank you mathew for your reply…. i do agree with you on your points and i am aiming for a piece a day with my work…. some of the following pictures above are not finished of coarse… the cartoon gargoyle with the joint in his mouth is just a stencil at the moment… shading and fine lineing are to come…

your comments mean alot to me considering the negative feed back from some family members. my dad does not agree with my tattoos nor does he like the idea of tattoo in general. my grand father doesnt think much of my art. he claims that when he was my age he was much better. doesnt help that he has a natural talent for art… ive had to strive for success and acceptance with my art for teh last few months. so far ive gone from stick figures to what you see now all in a matter of 3 – 4 months…. i will continue to draw and improve…

thanx again….

p.s. do you have some of your own art work you could show?

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

hi buddy,

i totally agree with matthew on your shading etc.
    looking through the oieces within this post and the ones within your members gallery, i have to say that you will need to spend more time studying all aspects of life and still subjects, the hand is anatomically incorrect and this is something that you wil need to pay special attention to if you want to become an apprentice or an artist..

your bad points are possible to correct if you spend more time studying flash images from on the net and by keep drawing drawing and more drawing, dont be affraid of tracing, i can see from your pieces that they are copies of existing pieces of work that i recognice …. if you dont have one then i sugggest either buying or making a light box, this will aid you big time and you will never look back.

my advice would be to keep a close eye on ..

your line weight
    shading
    outline continuity
    depth
    3D

and something to watch is to study your subject closely, i noticed in two of your pieces with dice’s on that they are incorrect….. noting a dice has oposite sides that add upto 7… it sounds silly me picking you up on this admittedly, but a dice is something that you will be expected to draw or tattoo at some point, and once its in the skin its too late to change.

trace your arse off, dont be affraid of it, it aint cheeting…… i advised one person to get a kiddies colouring book and to practice colouring it like flash sheets are presented..

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

thanks a heap outlaw… i shall invest in a light box of my own very soon. its on my shopping list….
    im only in the early stages at the moment but i do agree on your points…. i must admit after a while of drawing i begin to shake… my hand does anway…. how can i correct this…. i dont mean shaky shaky but trembles after awhile… im not sure if its my sugar levels or not… i stay away from bad eating habits and sugars and such as it gets in the way of my lifting (weight training)…. any ideas?

i shal continue to draw and yes about the dice… they were filled in by my girlfreind… lol. i should have never given her the pen….

keep the critizism coming….
    any ideas how i go about getting an apprenticship? is it as simple as bringing in a port folio for the artist to see? or is another way….?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Tattman

With regards to my own art I wish I had some to show you. Both my brother and father were artists and this is where I learned to pick up tips on what makes a composition of a picture.

I cannot draw for shit sadly and I simply did not have the patience needed to perfect my scribbles. This is why I rate artists like yourself who are not afraid to (be thrown to the wolves :D) put your work on the net for ppl to comment on. Takes iron balls.

With regards to your father – well some ppl can not seen beyond their own vision of what is ‘right’. Being an artist or creative person is never easy, as explaining the passion to non-creativecan sometimes be a hard thing.

Not to dis your grandfather but age and experience always has a way of colouring things so they are always ‘better/tougher/cheaper in my day’. Take it with a pinch of salt.

I honestly believe that they see it almost as a way to encourage you by setting a high standard and goading you to beat it.

You have innate skill – use your grandfather’s experience (as a mentor) and your time to perfect your art.

Keep drawing your arse off and you will get there.

Take Care
    Matthew

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

anyone else have any opinions and or tips?

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

that was good advice there by matthew… 😉

as for the apprenticeship…. they aint easy to come by at all, the best way is to find an artist that you like and get plenty of work done by him, watch what he is doing at all times and dont ask too many questions….
    once he gets to know you then ask if its ok to hang around at weekends and help out for free with anything
    even if its only making the tea’s and cleaning up., that way he will get to trust you.

once he has got to know you ask him for some critique on some of your artwork, after a little while let him know that you fancy trying to draw some pieces up for their customers and show him your potential…. he will hopefully one day pop the question and offer you a position…

if you have ever a tattoo machine, dont tell him or he might instantly take a dissliking to you. the main thing is to gain his trust and show him plenty of respect, tont be pushy and listen to everything he tells you.
    if he says clean the bogs out then just do it without any quibbles..

good luck with it buddy

ps…. as for the shakes and wobbles, it could just be tired muscles in your hands, buy yourself a 1inch metal grip from ebay that we use on our tubes, place it on the pencil and practice practice practice…. it might help 😉

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

thanks again outlaw…

id gotten pretty close with one of the tattooists that did my work…. his father also…
    but i decided to leave it be as they were rather shady characters and very indescent towards the customers… making rude gestures between one another when the customer is in the room with them.
    never being on time to get to work…. at one stage i had to wait 3 hours to get my quote.. they were meant to be open at 12.00pm and he got there at 3.30pm. i decidede to come back later and he finally showed up.

i knew that these guys just werent for me…. the is another parlor that i have met and will be getting my sleeve done on my 18th birthday.
    hopefully i have better luck this time round… its gonna take him a while to do the sleeve so ill have more of an excuse to hang around longer and get to know him….

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

tracing paper is cheaper than a lightbox:)

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

touche michelle. it is much cheaper… this maybe my other alternative… ive got some lying around but havnt used it much… jus to make stencils of my finished pieces….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.