Joggem
    Participant
    @joggem

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forums, but I’ve been checking back regularly and I decided to get my first tattoo.
    I want it to be a 3/4 sleeve on my left arm, from around the middle of my forearm up to my shoulder. I want it to symbolize the process I’m going through that is healing from depression.
    I don’t want anything religious or too colorful.
    My original idea was to get some skulls on the lower portion of the design, and at around the shoulder get a wolf’s head, maybe howling, with the phrase “Deep roots are not reached by frost” somewhere on the arm, and probably go for a more realistic art style. I don’t really know how to connect both, or what to put in the middle…
    I found this picture of a skull tattoo, I liked this style a lot
    6646938347_436556b675.jpg

What do you guys think of that? Could it work out?
    If anyone can help me find more images, give me some ideas, or help me out with a sketch (nothing fancy, just so it gives me a idea of what it would look like) I’d appreciate a LOT.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds interesting. I’m not into a lot of text personally, but it works for some when it’s done properly.

Keep us posted.

Joggem
    Participant
    @joggem

Thank you for your reply!
    Okay, I started contacting a few artists that had some works that pleased me, and the one that does the sketch that I like the most will be the one I’ll tattoo with.
    Anyway, they are taking very long to answer me (which is understandable) so I’m still trying to figure out something for my tattoo.
    I drew this on paint just now, just to give you guys somewhat of a idea of what I had in mind (yes, my drawing is terribly awful…)
    I thought maybe the wolf’s head could come from a kind of smoke, and then turn into the solid head, almost like a spirit…
    wCjih.jpg
    Do you have any suggestions on what to do to give it more of a “getting better” feel?
    I don’t know if this helps you to get some suggestions, but I do love animals and such, and I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 7 years old. I also like nature and everything involved. I also wanted to add something to symbolize my 2 dogs, because it’s almost like they feel it when I’m down, and they come to me at those moments and stick near… Maybe two paws?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Rather than smoke, how about fog or mist?
    A woodland background on a foggy or misty evening?

Joggem
    Participant
    @joggem

Oh that does sound like a nice idea… I’ve searched for some trees and found this
    7e8bf0501b711fb.jpeg
    maybe something like that, coming from behind the skulls, maybe out of them, as if it was growing out of death?
    And also make both the skulls and the wolf bigger, so it would make it a bit easier to connect… huh?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Sure.
    (The vein “lightning bolts” are a nice touch)

Joggem
    Participant
    @joggem

ok, so I drew this for a reference…
    20121126183057.jpg
    do you think that would be a good and unique sleeve?

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

tell the idea to your tattoo artist. Why try draw it yourself when it’s your tattoo artists job to do that? …

I really don’t get it sometimes. Im honestly confused.

BertNaked
    Participant
    @bertnaked

I dont know about the trees. In my opinion a tree makes the tattoo look dumb, because it’s a hard thing to pull off for starters, and second.. it won’t fit in with anything.. it doesn’t flow.

Joggem
    Participant
    @joggem

It’s just that I like the designing part… And make the piece more unique, more… mine.
    I mean, the artist will add his touch to it, but it’ll still be my sketch and all

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I like that!
    Good and definatly unique.
    A good tattoo artist could use that sketch and run with it.

The artist I’ve been working with draws freehand. He would really get into something like this.

That sketch reminds me of the work of a Native American artist named Yazzi. I have a painting of his that has faces (spirits) in the clouds above the subjects walking through snow on the ground.

Joggem
    Participant
    @joggem

@BertNaked 120307 wrote:

I dont know about the trees. In my opinion a tree makes the tattoo look dumb, because it’s a hard thing to pull off for starters, and second.. it won’t fit in with anything.. it doesn’t flow.

Thank you for your feedback
    I see what you mean… I’ll try to figure something out, meanwhile, any ideas?

iggybuddi
    Participant
    @iggybuddi

I actually really like that. I think it can be done well, but you’ll need an AMAZING artist (and I don’t mean the guy down the road that did your buddies tribal tattoo) to make it all come together. I look forward to seeing it done, but I hope it gets its justice done by a top notch artist.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I like it. Take that sketch to your well researched tattooist have him draw it up and then get the ink in you.

Joggem
    Participant
    @joggem

Thank you guys!
    I’ll see if I can go to a tattoo artist today, I saw some of his work on facebook and he seems great, won some prizes for realism (which I think is the hardest of all styles) and all.
    I’ll make sure to post pictures when I get it done.
    Again, thank you all for the feedback, and thanks a lot Sam-I-Am for the ideas 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.