Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that all we ever get in here are “can someone draw me an awesome tattoo” followed by “I would talk it over with your artist”
I dont recall a single time when a request was followed by a design.

It also seems that a lot of the new members that start in here never really join in with the rest of the forum.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I’m new.

I am probably posting all kinds of crap lol

I’m enjoying the forum.

Joined some others but they seem kind of quiet.

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

I’m sure a lot of people would love to get reference material for them to show their artist, but this forum is pretty set on “letting your tattoo artist draw it up” which is just fine. I think they should get the artist to draw their idea but it never hurts to have some reference from someone elses drawing. Also, I have seen some bad ass drawing skills on this forum, I would like to see some people get their designs drawn up!! Maybe I will be posting some of my ideas in this part of the forum because I really didn’t even know this existed.

bluey
Participant
@bluey

I think the best way of getting ideas is form other tattoos, by that I’m not suggesting copying. I’m about to go back for my second consultation. The first consultation I went with a number of examples of what I didn’t like and why. I have worked with the tattooist many times so I expect he will have something I really like. It’s a great way for us non artists to convey concepts and easier for the artist rather than saying I really like this design, now change it so it’s unique. Unless you have identical twin everyone’s body shape is different. I really like the tattoos that exploit the contours of the body and you can only get that from a tattooist that draws something up for you.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I dont know as artist that is interested in you bringing them a design, it is my opinion that you should design your piece with the artist doing the work, his or her input is neccessary, they must be comfortable with the design, have you seen all the people dissappointed when they took something to an artist and the artist said they were not interested or would not tattoo it, why bother, design with your artist…………this is what they do for a living

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

It just seems stupid in the first place having a section for it anyway when it’s part of the artists job to draw up the design.

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

I think it causes bad feelings for new members who post expecting to get a sick tattoo design ater the same day only to get slapped down.
If I was God for a day I would bin this section.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

no doubt, no artist I know is going to ink up somneone elses drawing…….so why bother……..you can take reference pictures, crude drawing you made your self, photos whatever and take them to your artist…..an artist wants to create……..this is why these people became artists, let them do their job

baboon87
Participant
@baboon87

I understand what alot of people are saying, get your artist to do it. I understand I like to do my own work in my field. But at the end of the day i can not draw a free hand sketch or anything to save my life. Hence why i feel this section could be used, but at present it isn’t.

For example, I want a drawing of my idea i have put up in words. I wish to take to my artist and say this is sort of the idea i want but feel free to change to move etc what i have. Instead of trying to explain and draw and re explain with them.

This forum should be changed, instead of design to translate my idea into a drawing.

I have tried to draw my idea, but when i am not even half way it becomes a mess what chance do i have to try and show my artist what i want.

If some one drew an interpretation of what i put in words i would find it easier to correct and see. And i think an artist would too. If they could see a well drawn piece instead of badly drawn lines.

I am sure there are some people or artist out there who want to draw and help for the sake of it, for the enjoyment of it all.

even if it was a quick 10 min interpretation of it.

Panter
Participant
@panter
baboon87;108431 wrote:
I understand what alot of people are saying, get your artist to do it. I understand I like to do my own work in my field. But at the end of the day i can not draw a free hand sketch or anything to save my life. Hence why i feel this section could be used, but at present it isn’t.

For example, I want a drawing of my idea i have put up in words. I wish to take to my artist and say this is sort of the idea i want but feel free to change to move etc what i have. Instead of trying to explain and draw and re explain with them.

This forum should be changed, instead of design to translate my idea into a drawing.

I have tried to draw my idea, but when i am not even half way it becomes a mess what chance do i have to try and show my artist what i want.

If some one drew an interpretation of what i put in words i would find it easier to correct and see. And i think an artist would too. If they could see a well drawn piece instead of badly drawn lines.

I am sure there are some people or artist out there who want to draw and help for the sake of it, for the enjoyment of it all.

even if it was a quick 10 min interpretation of it.

You may well be right and I’m probably more guilty than most of promoting “see your artist” (check my sig for example) but the problem is I don’t think there’s many people that will give up their free time to do a sketch for a random stranger.

If it was for a regular, I think it may be different but a lot of folk here just make one or two posts and are never heard from again.
It would be really nice (I imagine) to do a design for someone and them see them get a variation of that actually tattooed but as people rarely post feedback on advice given, it seems a bit futile.
Conversely of course it’s the regulars who are probably least likely to ask for a design!

I have the same problem in that I can’t draw for toffee, seriously, it’s awful. I knew in my head the sort of thing I was after, or the concept, but couldn’t put it into a sketch.
All I could do was do my best and I quite literally drew around cups and things to get a rough draft, which looked like a 3 Year old had done it, and took that to my artist with a load of print outs of tattoos that I liked the style of even though they weren’t related to my idea in the slightest.

Anyway, he came up with a design, it was too simple for me so he redid it and it was nothing like I’d imagined but was very cool anyway. So, I went with that!
But, it was his original idea, he’s the artist and knew what would work so I can only recommend the same approach to everyone

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I’ve drawn up a few things for people on this forum in the past. Mostly, I just don’t have the time to do it now. I have tattoos of my own to draw up. I hardly have the time for that. I’ll make a deal with anyone looking for another drawing from me. Book an appointment with me and leave a $50 deposit and I’ll draw up anything you want me to. I pay my bills with my art.

MikeRavo
Participant
@mikeravo

I’m brand new to this, I only have two small tattoos and I admit I have posted a request for any suggestions to add to one on my arm.
A problem (does not apply to me) that I have noticed is a lot of people feel intimidated just going and asking an artist for a design, particularly if they are young and it is their first tattoo, because they are either worried about being judged or just laughed at, even though I have never experienced anything of the sort when my friends have gone for sleeve consultations etc.
Plus on here there are hundreds of members and artists who are all willing to offer help and guidance.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.