turp
Participant
@turp

So, after kicking the idea around for a few years I’ve decided that I’d like to finally get a tattoo! Thing is though, I cannot draw to save my life, so, what I need is someone who is willing to volunteer to put something together for me! I know the artist at the shop can do it, but call me weird with people, but I’d rather come in with a finished idea or at least a mock-up of what I want instead of just a bunch of random pictures.

Long story short what I want is something along these lines:
I’d like a portrait of Herodotus, he is considered the father of the field of History, which just so happens to be what I want to teach.
Herodotus:
http://www.foundalis.com/lan/c/Herodotus.jpg

I’d like there to be a tree of knowledge growing out of the top of his head, this has some significance regarding my religious views and the importance of knowledge to me, as a student and future educator.
I’d also like the tree to be shaped like a brain. Similar to this:
http://singularityhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Alzheimers_BrainTree_medium.jpg
But less Banzai, more robust.

I’d like Herodotus to be in 3/4 profile and looking down a little bit, as if the tree is heavy, of course this is just how I’d imagined it and if that’s not a workable pose, it’s not a big deal to change it

And I’d like a nice clean line drawing, nothing too complex, and definitely not a portrait tattoo.

I know that’s a lot, and it very well may be a stupid idea, which is why I’d kind of like to get a mock-up done to actually get an idea of what it might look like.

As always, thoughts on the matter are appreciated
turp

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

From experience, I can say, most tattoo artists will not do as good a job on a tat that someone has drawn up and brings to them. They take no ownership of the piece. If you want a really good tattoo, you first need to find an artist and give them the oppertunity to create your design. If your not happy, 98% of the time they will make any changes you want. If they won’t give you what you want find someone else.

turp
Participant
@turp
xxTOPDOGxx;77064 wrote:
From experience, I can say, most tattoo artists will not do as good a job on a tat that someone has drawn up and brings to them. They take no ownership of the piece. If you want a really good tattoo, you first need to find an artist and give them the oppertunity to create your design. If your not happy, 98% of the time they will make any changes you want. If they won’t give you what you want find someone else.

Yeah, I’d like to take a mock up in to whichever artist I choose and let them have a swing at it, for the reasons you said and because they’d be able to make it into a more tattoo-able design. That and I’d also like to get an idea of what it’s going to look like, make sure I’m committed to it, ya know?

tattooholic
Participant
@tattooholic

I’d go and find someone who has experience with these kinds of tattoo designs and have him draw the final design… this way you don’t leave any room for error for your tattoo artist.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.