rubberroomranger
    @

does anyone do black light ink tattoos?? i want one REALLY bad but every tattoo parlor i’ve called said they don’t do them. i’m willing to travel so i don’t care what region, state, city, etc. the parlor is in.

please and thank you.

Injun
    Participant
    @injun

Not sure of where would do them, but just wondering if you are looking for the invisible blacklight inks, or the Neon Blacklight inks?

rubberroomranger
    @

def the neon. i want them colored so you can see them all the time and then they just glow under the blacklight

Injun
    Participant
    @injun

Keep in mind from what I have read, the Neon type of Blacklight Inks end up very dull under regular light. The tattoos don’t look very good under regular light, but as you commented glow under blacklight. With that in mind, how often are you going to be under a blacklight. Remeber these tattoos will be with you when you grow out of the blacklight stage too. (If you grow out of it. :rolleyes: )

ArniVidar
    @arnividar
    Injun;46623 wrote:
    Remeber these tattoos will be with you when you grow out of the blacklight stage too. (If you grow out of it. :rolleyes: )

I’m not so sure I’ll ever grow out of light stuff myself. I slept under black-light for the most part of a year. When my bulb blew out and I didn’t have time to get a new one, my migraines started to get better…. so I never slept under it again.

Now I have a high-powered green laser to play with (big boys got bigger toys, is all ;)) and I’m wondering if I should build a mirror array into my room so that I can set it up somewhere and have it criss-cross the room like they do in the movies 😀

Oh, I want UV ink done, but Sherav’s kinda scared me off it for the time being. He’s actually almost managed to scare me off ink altogether :p

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

i am getting asked all the time for UV work, but at the minute there is not enough long term safe info out there about them, one of my good friends is a tattoo artist, machine builder and ink manufacturer…. he refuses ever to have anything to do with UV inks
    my regular supplier does not do them but has sent me personal info on somewhere that does… im still not sure though if i want to trust them 😉

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

personally i wouldn’t have any done yet

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav
    ArniVidar;46630 wrote:
    Oh, I want UV ink done, but Sherav’s kinda scared me off it for the time being. He’s actually almost managed to scare me off ink altogether :p

Mwhahaha :p

Seriously though what have I done other than put the known info into a easily readable format??

Not meant to scare anybody – think yes but if I wanted to scare I would post up all the horror pics i got of when ink goes wrong (lol)

Take Care
    Matthew

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

id like to see some horror pics 😀

rubberroomranger
    @

haha well i’m only 21 and go clubbing all the time so trust me i’ll be under blacklights quite a lot. plus i love neon colors regardless. but i don’t want dull colors, so is it possible to get a regular colored tattoo and then get blacklight over it, or even just parts of it??

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Um, dude, do you think before you open your mouth? Yes, you’re 21 now, but tattoos are for life, and are you still gonna be some idiot club rat when you’re 45? Also, did you miss the part where UV ink ain’t exactly safe?

Love. Peace. Metallica.

rubberroomranger
    @

umm hey jerk, yes i’m aware of the obvious fact that tattoos are permanent. but i’m not living my life as a 45 year old and no i won’t still be going to clubs. i’m living it as i go along. whatever i do up to that point is what makes me who i am. if that includes obnoxious tattoos then i’m fine with that. i’m willing to take the risk. and by the way, you can get tattoos removed. i don’t mind a little scaring if that what i’m left with. so keep your cocky opinions to yourself.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Ah, to be 21 and to know the secrets of the universe again, but, apparently, not the complex system of written communication known as punctuation.

I see you still haven’t addressed the safety issue though–have fun getting cancer!

In closing, if you don’t want someone’s opinions just because they don’t jive with yours, you may consider to continue speaking to the voices in your head rather in a public, online forum.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

rubberroomranger
    @

you’ve completely missed the point. and yes i did address it and i said i’m willing to take the risk. and i wasn’t dissing your opinion. i was simply disagreeing. clearly we have different views on the matter. i just didn’t like the way you voiced your opinion. it seemed rude. like you were assuming i have less intelligence because i’m young.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

In answer to your question yes it is possible to use blacklight on top of normal ink.

There are restrictions however as if used excessively it can cause the tattoo to look lumpy and disfigured.

Light use will look like this;

http://ursispaltenstein.ch/blog/images/uploads_img/blacklight_tattoos.jpg

But even here you will notice the lines are far from smooth.

Some inks can be applied better than others but there is no FDA approval for human use.

The stuff that is phosphorus free is actually used to mark fish and game.

There is no in-depth study as to whether the ‘safer’ inks are are cancer causing or not.

Here is the extract from my tattoo e-book on it

UV Ink (Black Light Ink)

This type of ink is a relative newcomer to the tattoo scene and has been around approximately 10 years for human consumption, although it has much more recently taken off for use as a tattooing pigment

The ink in essence glows in the dark especially when it is placed under an ultraviolet light (the kind usually found in nightclubs).

Although they come in colour the white ones are not as discernible to the naked eye but the outline of the scar can be seen on the skin.

So what is it made from?

There are two main types of UV ink on the market:

Polymethylmethacrylate 97.5% and micro spheres of fluorescent dye 2.5% suspended in UV sterilized, distilled water.

This was mainly used for marking animals and fish. This was so they could trace at night in the wild.

The second type of pigment used is a photo luminescent pigment, which contains alkaline earth aluminates.

These can include the very toxic soft metals

Barium

Beryllium

Radium

Strontium

All of these are highly toxic to the human body and can lead to cancer and severe allergic reactions.

There is no official research as yet as to whether this type of ink is safe to use in tattooing in the long term.

Whilst I have done my best to evaluate the risk of the above products but as with all chemicals they may carry a risk later on in life. No responsibility can be taken for the above information – if in doubt seek further clarification from a medical professional.

If you get it done be careful with the ink you use and the artist who does it.

Also bear in mind that the lifespan of these inks is quite limited to approx 2-5 years and they can also leave brown ink marks or travel further round the body – like an internal leakage.

Also the lasers do not work brilliantly on UV inks as different type of pigment.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.