Weskhan
    Participant
    @weskhan

Alright so here’s the deal. I’m a pretty damn skinny guy (especially arms and legs) so I’m not really sure where to put this tattoo. It will be my first one, and I don’t want a massive one, one that’s probably small-medium size. Anyways, here’s what I’m looking for….

I’m an awful awful awful artist, I cannot stress this enough, therefore I don’t know how I would find out what I want. My passion is foreign languages. I absolutely love learning them. I’ve been learning mandarin Chinese for about a year and a half now, learned French for 3 years in high school, and taught myself a lot of Japanese for about a year. If I could, I would study every language possible. My next would probably be Arabic, but that’s besides the point ๐Ÿ˜› .

Anyways, I’m 19 and like I said I’m skinny, so I don’t know where I should put this. I want a design that has a bunch of languages in it, maybe one word in many different languages (Russian, German, Chinese, French, Arabic, Spanish, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Italian, all of them and anymore major ones I can find).

I’m almost 20 now, and I came to the conclusion that the only thing I enjoy enough to get a tattoo for is foreign languages. Any ideas? Thank you.

Edit: My friend gave an idea that I should just do the multiple languages horizontally on my side torso, just listed down it, not sure though

Weskhan
    Participant
    @weskhan

argle.jpg

That’s me, my friend said a side one would look good because of how thin I am. Dunno though

sublimeph03nix
    Participant
    @sublimeph03nix

Hey man,

And welcome!

I like the idea of getting words in various languages written on your side, but I think it would be better to have them written vertically, i.e. so that if you’re laying on your back you can read it. Also make sure the languages that use letters and not characters have a good script, cause that can ruin the tatto i feell. As for what word or phrase, perhaps a quotation or that has some significance to you or you just think sounds cool.

Anyways just my thoughts. Good luck with the ink!

-Cam
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi and welcome

Gotta ask you ashamed of your face? ๐Ÿ˜‰

There are several themes that you can have with language/script tattoos.

The first is a passage that is dear to yourself and each line is made up of a separate language you enjoy.

You can have a shape made from the words of the languages that you want. For example a friend of mine has the shape of a baby help in two hands made up from the words of a hebrew prayer.

It took a hell of a lot of planning though.

Alternatively you could have a tattoo that contains a small amount of characters for each language eg a compass where each nautical point is in a different language.

I would suggest chest or back for a first – whilst ribs do look cool they hurt like a bastard.

Take Care
    Matthew

Weskhan
    Participant
    @weskhan

Haha I just don’t like letting my face floating around on public forums. I let that stick to Facebook and Myspace ๐Ÿ˜›

Anyways, I’m pretty sure I’m gonna get it on my side even though it’s gonna hurt. Like I said, my friend suggested just doing a horizontal list of the word in different languages. I mean vertical would be cool, but I’m not sure. Any other ideas?

Edit: Okay nevermind I figured out how much it really does hurt to get a tattoo on your ribs and scratch that. I won’t be able to withstand that pain. Where else could I get it? Remember that I don’t want it to show with clothes on, and no legs please. ๐Ÿ™‚

melissaf
    @

Hi!

A good place to start before you go into a tattoo parlor would be online.
    There are some good sites out there that will be able to give you info for translations into different languages and also show how they will look and what languages and phrases might look good together, some are free some are not, I’m not quite sure on the quality difference but at least it can give you an idea of what you might want. Here are some sites you might want to check out-

http://www.tattoos.com
    http://tattoositesonline.synthasite.com
    http://tattoo-top100.com/

Good luck!

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

I was wondering if you were gonna test the ribs :p
    I hear it really pains – specially if you are slim as it is right on the bone.

My suggestion would be chest, bicep or tricep. try and leave the back you may want a backpiece in the future. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Take Care
    Matthew

crystal_ds
    Participant
    @crystal_ds

i agree and would go with the chest or upper arm, leaving the back for a bigger piece. just wondering matthew how does one ‘test’ the ribs? i’m getting mine there, no backing out, but would like to do something other than pinching myself to get a good idea of what is coming…if there is a way ๐Ÿ™‚

sublimeph03nix
    Participant
    @sublimeph03nix

As someone who has the ribs done and is relatively skinny, I can tell you it does hurt a lot.

However it doesn’t hurt so much that I would think of getting it somewhere else. Really the worst part for me was the upper ribs close to the armpit, the lower ones barely hurt at all, but that’s just me.

I don’t know if this is actually acurate, but as I think about it the pain is similar to skinning your knee…except on your ribs…and it lasts a few hours.

But seriously, it’s worth it when it’s done ’cause that’s a great spot ๐Ÿ™‚

Just my thoughts.

-Cam
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Helsinki Harlot
    Participant
    @helsinki-harlot

You could always pick a word from each language and string them together into a design?
    Maybe have one circle made out of words, and then a word branching out vertical around the circle or something. You can always think of a really simple design and just make the lines words.

Word of warning from being careless tho’. Especially with languages. Even after your artists has drawn the sketch and has put the lines on your skin to start tracing with the ink, look up the words at whatever reliable source you had. (Internet on your cellphone or something.) I didn’t do that, and the Arabic I have on my arm ended up being written backwards. For all the languages that do not follow the western model, do not trust your first glance in the mirror when you check to see if you’re ready to go.

I hope you have fun with this, it sounds like a really great idea!

Talistar
    Participant
    @talistar

Helisnki Harlot – I love your idea and I think many could use it so I just wanted to say that.

One point to think about is that it will probably be hard to make a professional design since you will need many translators (or one that knows all the languages)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.