mike_yanks
    @

hey. im looking for a good reliable chinese translation website for a tattoo im getting. i found a site that looks good but im still trying to find more.any suggestions??
    thanks

oedozakura
    Participant
    @oedozakura

Does it have to be Chinese? I’m a Japanese/English translator and can provide you with any Japanese kanji character translation you want. tattootranslation@gmail.com

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Mike

Pls PM me waht you want it to say.

I have a friend who is from HK and is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin.

Thanks
    Matthew

oedozakura
    Participant
    @oedozakura

If you want to PM directly with a Japanese/English translator with 35 years of experience feel free to PM me. Speaking a foreign language is not a license to translate language between language pairs. It depends on the source and the target languages and which one you’re most qualified in. Cantonese is not usually written. Cantonese speakers use Classical or Written Standard Chinese when writing. If you want to use Chinese written characters instead of Japanese which characaters do you want to use? Mainlaind Chinese? Taiwanese Chinese? Hong Kong Chinese? They can all be written differently accordingly. And Japanese is different from all of them.

If it’s purely a visual aesthetics issue then all of the above are more or less, generally similiar. Mainland China, Written Standard Chinese, however is kind of ugly, angular, and squarish. If you want pleasing aesthetics and also want to be able to pronounce what your tattoo says….I guarantee you that Japanese is much easier to pronounce for a non-speaker compared to tone-centric, tongue twisiting Mandarin and Cantonese.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Oedozakura

Well you obviously feel strongly about the linguistic differences and styles between Japanese and Chinese characters.

I will not get into a pissing contest about it, as personally I do not really care as to which is ‘better’.
    As for the translation you are correct in what you say about a speaker merely doing it.

That said my friend is a scholar who also has a higher degree in both English and Chinese languages and spent many years as an interpeter and translator.

I would not put forward anybody who I thought was nt upto the job.

As for the translation they would be done in either Modern or Traditional Characters and would be that used in Mainland China.

Again it is an offer of help (that still stands) not a flame war.

Take Care
    Matthew

oedozakura
    Participant
    @oedozakura

Pissing contest? Flame war? No. Since most monolingual individuals don’t generally know the difference between the two, I’m simply pointing out some rudimentary differences between Chinese and Japanese. And like you, offering some help. But I’m not going to lose any sleep over one tattoo. Good looking out and my regards to your scholar…friend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.