Wardy
Participant
@wardy

I was looking through amazon and i just want to see if this is a good book to buy to develop my art skill’s and if i would benefit from it. It’s only £9 just saying in case somebody asks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Draw-What-Practical-Books/dp/0823023753/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1320788872&sr=8-12

thank’s in advance people.

hamsternuts
Participant
@hamsternuts

not heard of it myself, but i checked it out, and as well as the high review on amazon, it got 6 reviews on Google Books, which were 3,3,3,3,3,5 (out of 5)

so it seems promising bud

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Thanks dude, just waiting for one of the tattoo artists or apprentices knocking about the forum to give me a opinion on this book or mrchen, buttwheat & AnrnVidar etc.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Dude I couldn’t draw my way out of a box. But the more resources that you can learn from the better

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I think there are better books out there for learning how to draw. Better still, you should really enroll in some classes. Books are fine once you have the basics down, but if you’re starting from nothing, personal instruction will be more beneficial. They don’t have to be college classes (I saw your post about that). There are plenty of weekend art classes and such you can take elsewhere. When I was younger I took some Saturday art classes at a local high school for example.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
D3FiANC3;100697 wrote:
I think there are better books out there for learning how to draw. Better still, you should really enroll in some classes. Books are fine once you have the basics down, but if you’re starting from nothing, personal instruction will be more beneficial. They don’t have to be college classes (I saw your post about that). There are plenty of weekend art classes and such you can take elsewhere. When I was younger I took some Saturday art classes at a local high school for example.

😮 i didn’t know there would be just art classes about, im defiantly going to look in to that!

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Wardy;100718 wrote:
😮 i didn’t know there would be just art classes about, im defiantly going to look in to that!

Some artists like this one will hold classes, or you may find some small, local art schools also. Your best bet might be any type of community centers in the area.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Yeah, like the above posts, personal instruction will probably get you the best results. Good visual references are always best. I use photos for most of my references. Being able to draw is more about being able to see than anything else. Having someone there to show you what to look for will help out a great deal.

As much as I love books, there really aren’t many helpful books out there on drawing. It’s all just shapes and shading at the heart of it.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

Like the above posts…. YES, definitely get yourself to a class. Check an art gallery or community center.

I have this book. If it wouldn’t cost more than the book to mail it to you, I’d send it along. It’s a pretty solid book. A lot of the focus is just like the tin, learning to draw what’s in front of you. I had always drawn from reference pictures, not “life drawing”, so I found it pretty damn helpful when I had to take life drawing for my design courses. If you only ever plan to draw from reference photos, it might be a waste. For the price on Amazon, it can’t hurt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.