Sherav
Participant
@sherav

This is a bit of a rant about the usage and abusage across the net.

When I first wrote my tattoo e-book several of my friends imemdiately jumped on the idea and said your work will be stolen and abused.

I had figured this into the equation and decided that since I am doing this for free I will not be losing anything (other than the time and effort I put into the work), and the fact that the positive will outweigh the negative minority.

I posted up and the majority is under creative commons or public domain – a few are copyrighted to artists/donors who kindly allow me to use their work. This means the work can be used with relative ease – all it takes is naming the author and continuing the CC Copyright.

Had several thousands of hits both here and wordpress so all is sweet.. sadly far from it.

These last few months I have seen a rise in the abuse of the creative commons licensing (which to a huge extent I will tolerate as often it is students who are cribbing info for their work).

However it has now taken a new low of cheeky bastard behaviour. I took my email off because I was getting swarmed with spam and several ‘your site is shite’ type emails.

I got fed up of responding to the ‘your shite’ with the standard reply of well do something that is better then.

This bit really annoyed me though. (As a current example).

I had somebody track me down to msg me and actually complain that it was my fault that they failed their essay because I do not list my sources.

So it is not enough to plagerise – they want me to provide the sources of the information so they can steal that as well??

I deliberately left out the sources as many are primary and those that are not can be easily checked against sources on the net from manufacturers to medical papers.

My response is my site is a hobby – it is there as a starting point not a free source of essay material.

They could have left a msg here or on the site and I would of helped. Instead they just decided to rip me off got bit and then have the balls to complain about it. 😡

I am considering pulling them down and just having them on a password only basis.

It is a shame as I want it to be public but damn ppl really piss me off with their attitude that I owe them something.

Take Care
Matthew

Jennluff
Participant
@jennluff

Just wanted to say that is bulls–t. How incredibly rude; “I failed my essay because I tried to take shortcuts, but it’s your fault for not making it easier for me to do” – WTF.
Also; WTF email someone just to say their site is shite – whatever happened to ‘if you don’t like it, don’t read it?’
Besides, I’ve read heaps of your posts and some of your blog, I like the way you write, you present arguments well, you make things easy to understand, and on the occasions I’ve seen you come in to a ‘fight’, you provide the voice of reason more often than not.

Sorry people are sh-t.

Jlin
Participant
@jlin
Sherav;66777 wrote:
I took my email off because I was getting swarmed with spam and several ‘your site is shite’ type emails.

I can’t believe people actually do that. That’s just WOW :mad:, I can understand that you are upset Matthew. Still I would strongly encourage you to leave it public, maybe just make it more anonymous so that you aren’t bothered by stupid people all day long… *smh*
Your ebook was one of the first things I read after discovering this forum and I found it to be very helpful and well written so it would be a true shame if you took it off the web.

-DMD-
Participant
@dmd

What the hell is going on with those kids?
A guy puts TONS of work and research for everyone to read without having to do shit and they complain?
That kid’s example freakin’ killed me!!! WTF?!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Thanks Peeps

It has been gnawing at me for days.
Normally I don’t let things bother me too much – if you post up something for public consumption you are going to get good and bad responses.

This was just something that really irritated me.

Taken some deep breaths 😀

Take Care
Matthew

Demure
Participant
@demure

While I too just started the whole blog thing, mine are never going to be informative posts. They will be posts purely on my opinions of things. Using a forum as a source for a paper is ignorant unless the writer says something like “thetattooforum.com” as their source and they don’t do any direct stealing.

Everything is stolen on the internet. I have been noticing all the -students- recently trying to study us as if we’re lab rats. It’s getting sort of ridiculous…

Next if people are sending you hate mail, it means our forum is getting big. You should be proud of that. There are always going to be haters and people just trying to get a rise out of you. They are jealous of what a great thing we have here. Don’t be upset or let their actual -words- get to you because that crap really doesn’t matter.

My emails back would be: I’m honored you took the time to get in contact with me because that means my forum is getting really big.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.