KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

About a 1.25 years ago, I got accepted into the University of Cincinnati’s college of Design, Art, Architecture, and Planning.

DAAP is the first art institution opened in the Untied States, though it bore a different name back then. Makes sense since the Cincinnati Art Museum was the first ever in the US. Either way, DAAP’s still one of the best.

I did awesome there. My art progressed at a rate I couldn’t believe. I went in there barely able to draw a straight line, and as of the beginning of summer vacation, I was in the middle of the pack. Got Dean’s List all three quarters.

Then I got kicked out in the beginning of October. DAAP still wanted me just fine. Problem is, I maxed out my federal financial aide. The government won’t give me dime one to go to college anymore.

The financial aide people at my school basically told me I’m screwed, unless I can get someone to cosign some private loans with me…and I’m not willing to ask anyone to shoulder that burden for me. I can’t promise I won’t default. Plus, my credit sucks.

So my stupid question is this:

Does anyone have ANY idea how I can raise funds so I can return to school? Yes, I know this is a tattoo community, but this relates: I’m going to art school so I can get my art to be good enough to go get apprenticed. The ultimate goal is to hold the gun myself.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

Didn’t know there was such thing as a tattoo GUN…..

But anyways… Im sure you could raise funds easily. And asking for a cosign isn’t THAT bad especially because the monthly rate won’t be that high.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

There are a number of ways that you can raise funds and as suggested is there any preferential loan rates for students in the USA?

But before you do any of that you have to be serious with yourself and ask this question…

Is my art already good enough to warrant an attempt at an apprenticeship?

If it is good enough already, am I putting off the inevitable uphill struggle and possible rejections that may come with it?

I have seen your art work it rocks – you have a talent and the drive to become an artist already, so you have to ask is the safe zone of college worth the $$?

If you feel that you must complete the course here are a few fundraisers;

Work – yep one of the hardest and requires iron discipline to put some of that money aside each month.

Freelance your art on the web, flash designs, portraiture, paintings whatever sells.

Buying and selling – find something affordable that you can buy low and either sell high or in bulk and use that money to keep moving up the ladder and increasing profit margins.

Net – Beg – Hey might only scrape a few dollars but that is more than you had before.

My personal advice is go check out some artists see if they think you are ready to apprentice if so great once you are earning you can finish off the course in your own time.

If they say need more work then either hook up with family and see if any deal can be made or get a job that will allow you to save as much as you can.

Also see if there are any private patrons of arts who will fund you or see if there are any loopholes.

Alternatively become a hard arsed drug dealer and killer for hire.

Take Care
Matthew

PS if you use skype private msg me it we can chat it over.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

You forgot something Sherav
3405130766_2fb2dccd2e.jpg

But in all honesty, I’d go with Sherav and chase that apprenticeship, starting now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.