Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

I was looking over some other sites on the net and was disgusted about the mis-information and bullshit that ppl are posting about tattooing so just figured I’d respond.

Rule One – Always check the source. The amount of bullshit that gets spread around through a ‘friend told me’ or the wiki says so it must be true. 😡

If I post something up I tend to use reliable sources – medical journals, professional papers/sites etc. be very careful about believing everything you read.

To cite a few examples of the myths –

Myth

‘It is safe for a brother and sister or close relative to be tattooed by the same needle – because you have the same blood’. I shit you not.

Fact: The blood types could as easily be different (they can be similar but not always it is gene dependent) and who the hell would ever want to get tattooed by a dirty needle! HIV & Hepatitus doesn’t give a shit about family bonds.

Myth

‘Picking the scab off before a tattoo heals will remove the tattoo completely if you do not like it.’

Fact: Picking the scab will lift the ink yes. So what it will do is leave you with a half-arsed spotty tattoo. It can also lead to infection and blood poisoning.

Myth

‘People with tattoos can never give blood, organ donate, bone marrow etc’
    Fact: Most countries will insist on a 12 mth waiting period so that any blood born diseases can be picked up and identified HIV Hep etc. Once you are free of this and in the clear you can donate. I am on the organ donation register and I just update them each time I get a tattoo.

Myth

‘You need to keep your tattoos bandaged all the time.’
    Fact: This little tip came from a self-styled tattoo-guru :mad:. Tattoos should be covered for the first 24 hours to give them time to clot. But they should be washed preferably within 12 hours and patted dry. After that let them breathe use antiseptic for 3-4 days then moisturise with unscented after. Leave a bandage on all time you are harbouring bacteria and could lead to an infection.

Myth

‘Tattooing makes you infertile.’

Fact: There is no proof whastsoever that tattooing lowers a sperm count or makes a woman less fertile. Beer, bad diet and no exercise can all do that. Not ink.

Myth

‘Anybody with a tattoo has low self esteem’

Fact: Anybody can have low self esteem having ink has no bearing on this. If somebody suffers depression, a personality disorder, or just feel generally down about themselves, they will suffer this regardless of whether they have ink or not. This is due to brain chemistry and social factors – not ink. Hell I know plenty of normal ppl with low self esteem because they are surrounded by nasty heartless bastards and they don’t have tats. In fact i think a bit of ink might even lift their spirits and give them some self achievement.

Anyhow I just wanted to point out there is a lot of bullshit – follow my advice

‘If you are not sure ask. Then check with a professional or a professional source.’

Take Care
    Matthew

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

Great post dude.

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

Excellent advice as always Matthew

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Sherav wrote:
    Myth

‘Anybody with a tattoo has low self esteem’

Fact: Anybody can have low self esteem having ink has no bearing on this. If somebody suffers depression, a personality disorder, or just feel generally down about themselves, they will suffer this regardless of whether they have ink or not. This is due to brain chemistry and social factors – not ink. Hell I know plenty of normal ppl with low self esteem because they are surrounded by nasty heartless bastards and they don’t have tats. In fact i think a bit of ink might even lift their spirits and give them some self achievement.

Anyhow I just wanted to point out there is a lot of bullshit – follow my advice

‘If you are not sure ask. Then check with a professional or a professional source.’

Take Care
    Matthew

ARRGH!!!

*headdesk*

ijnjnjjnkmnl[;’klm

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

GOD I HATE THAT ONE!

I mean, the rest are easy enough to disprove, but that one?

My Aunt’s a social worker, with a BA in psych, and she told my father that one right around the time I was getting my third piece done (my back piece), and my tattooed sister was getting her second. He set me down and tried having a heart to heart with me, trying to figure out what he’d done so wrong that I’d hate myself enough to cover myself in ink.

It didn’t go well.

It went less well when he tried it on my sister, the only person in my family who’s arguably more inked than me, and literally the only person I’ve met (who isn’t a sociopath) who’s less tactful than me. It involved a long, bumbling speech from my aging biker father, and my sister replying with a simple two word phrase. I’m pretty sure you know what it was. It wasn’t “Puppies Rock” I can tell you that.

As usual Matt man, well put and well thought out.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

GoldenKizzeh
    Participant
    @goldenkizzeh

Never heard any of that crap.

It all seems common sense to me.

Surely no one would actually ever be stupid enough to believe that?

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

dude honestly.. the public in most cases are a bunch of dumb cunts for lack of a better word… (sorry girls)…
    you would not believe how stupid some of the people i know are… gullible as hell and pass judgement on things they know nothing about…
    i hate people….

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt
    KnightHawk;35963 wrote:
    It wasn’t “Puppies Rock” I can tell you that.

HAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

I am so using this next time I am pissed I am just yelling out PUPPIES ROCK and leaving the room.

Awesomeness

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.