KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

On February 17, 2009, my art school will host a competition to see who can construct the cutest, freakiest, or most badass fucking robot of all time. The only rules is that your team of seven must work from a completely original design, and that it be no less than fifteen feet tall.

As my design for a fifteen foot, fanged Fox skeleton that vomits candy from between it’s fangs was outvoted by the overwhelming number of prissy, pink eighteen year old girls in my class, I ended up on Team Timmy, who are responsible for making Timmy, the Construction Robot.

Let’s roll this bitch.

Day 1:

We drew up the blue prints, and made plans to acquire the necessary materials. Duct tape, screws, electric wiring, and 2×4’s are easy enough to come by, as was paint. But getting enough cardboard legally was cost prohibitive. Fortunately, I know the pass code to the loading dock to the University Center, and we were able to get in, raid the cardboard dumpster, and get out before we were discovered. One girl in our group attempted to steal things other than garbage for the thrill–we talked her out of it.

The cardboard tubes only required dumpster diving at a carpet store.

What I learned: things around campus are constantly disappearing, tires, signs, steel garbage cans, ect. They reappear as art.

Day 2:

02-10-09_1620.jpg

First off, me and Jacob had to construct our bad boy’s skeleton. Three 2 x 4’s, one cardboard carpet tube, and alot of cursing got it up.

02-10-09_1728.jpg

Styrofoam, the old school kind that NEVER biodegrades, was added as a support structure for the construction of the back wheel and the body. Yes, my entire group is hot girls, me, and Jacob.

DSCF0049.jpg

Jacob and I started the head.

DSCF0056.jpg

We constructed the head from basa wood, cardboard, and a shit ton of duct tape. Yes, that is real wiring in Timmy’s head. When finished, a power cord will come out of his ass, and his eyes will light up.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

DSCF0052.jpg

While we built the head, the girls finished the back wheel and the body. Later that night, after they went home, I went back and reenforced these parts as they were falling the hell apart. At the moment, Timmy’s starting to look like something. At the edge of the pic, you can see the deranged grin I must look into every time my instructor thinks of something crazy for us to do, such as make giant flipping robots.

DSCF0057.jpg

We add the foot, and clean up.

ja.jpg

Have a nice night Timmy

Day 3:

Day three I didn’t attend. As the body was mostly constructed, it was paint day, and A) I suck at painting, B) I had prior engagements, and C) Jacob and I quietly agreed that since we designed the bot, bought all the materials, and did most of the work on Day 2, it was their turn.

Day 4:

DSCF0018.jpg

Jesus. Titty. Fucking. Christ. They did a great job painting our boy. The girls are officaly redeemed and then some.

Jacob and I made a few doo-dads, painted them, finished the head and its wiring,and constructed the second arm, hand, and fingers. The head is supported wholly by the second arm. Against my initial protests, the arm was made out of 2×4’s torn down to 2×2’s. But Jacob won out because the truth is, Timmy’s balance is delicate. The extra weight of the 2×4’s would have made him fall on his face.

On the other hand, just to fuck with my day, the screws tore the 2×2’s in half. In the end, Jacob had to leave before we could try again, but not before we figured out how to make it work.

Today was Day 4.

Monday is Day 5, and the end of the process, barring any other insanity.

Tuesday is the contest. I’ll hit all ya’all back both days, first to show you Monday’s progress, and on Tuesday to show you the competition.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Day 5:
    DSCF0030.jpg

We finished painting Timmy, glued on his name tag and joints, and added rust to the unrusted parts. We over came the problem of the 2×2 arms by putting in screws cross grained to pull the cracked wood together, dumping rivers of wood glue into the cracks, and allowing Jacob to pour such vile curses into Timmy’s ears that even I was impressed.

Still, the 2×2’s were not strong enough to support the head, so we strung four ultra-thing, ultra-strong fishing lines from his head to the bridge above. They’re so thin that even in real life they’re difficult to see when you’re looking for them.

Timmy’s ready for the showroom floor. Good thing too, Tuesday’s the contest. I’ll have more pics for you later that night, both of Timmy, Team Timmy, and our competition.

In the mean time, more shots from today.

DSCF0027.jpg

Love. Peace. Metallica. :kh:

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

lol. that is awesome… fantastic job youve done there…
    whats next on the agenda?

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Kicking the shit out of the other robots in the contest, and then, well, I’m building armor for a super villain based off a tattoo on my arm. 😀

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Damn that looked fun to make.
    We were stuck with painting as they wouldn’t let us near anything sharp when I did art class.

Keep us updated on the outcome and do be burning the competiton the night before.

Matthew

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Day 6

The Contest

The Day of the Contest

Tuesday, February the 17th, 2009

The Exhibition Hall

The Robots

Name: Timmy!
    Power: When you press his power button you turn him on.

Name: Shitbot
    Power: Being completed from start to finish in the two hours preceding the contest.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Name: Blue Waver
    Power: Needs a hug.

Name: Huck Bot
    Power: Fishing for your luv.

Name: Washer 3000
    Powers: Tallest bot in town, able to go from dirty to clean in six seconds flat.

Name: Wrenchy the Toolbot
    Power: Being so cut we don’t give a damn he’s a blatant togape ripoff

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

*The inside of Wrenchy’s chest plate

Name: Gorlliax
    Power: Being the shitiest piece of shit ever shat by some little shit. Also collapsed two days after the competition, nearly killing two pedestrians.

Name: Bounder
    Power: Legs actually collapse into body for storage, making it the only functional bot presented. Also smallest robot produced.

Name: Gaybot
    Power: Fabulousness.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Name: U.F.B. (Unidentified Flying Bot)
    Power: Flies like a mad bastard.

Name: Creeper
    Power: Creeping me the hell out.

AHHH!

Name: D.A.S.H. the mobile TV bot
    Power: Dash’s power is to be built by 2 of the judges, and when they could not force the others to award DASH 1st place, or even second or third, they had a 4th place invented so their robot could go to the big drunken party….God I hate DASH.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

The Contest Winners

1st place:

TEAM TIMMY!!

2nd: Wrenchy the Toolbot
    3rd: Huck Bot
    4th: D.A.S.H. (because he’s a douche)

I dedicate this win to Jacob, who disappeared mysteriously the night before the contest….

Though, reviewing the security tapes today revealed this alarming footage…

JACOOOOOOB! NOOOO!!!

Love. Peace. Metallica.

theradpotato
    Participant
    @theradpotato

haha.

not to be a doubter, but how is your robot 15 feet tall?

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Diagonally. We qualified because if Timmy stood straight up, he’d be fifteen foot and then some.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

theradpotato
    Participant
    @theradpotato

Ah, i see.
    I guess design specifications are somewhat different in art school than in engineering :p

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.