Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

I just wanted to jot down a summary of my experience of the Doncaster Tattoo Jam hosted by Skin Deep.

Travel – coming from Leeds it was around 40 mins by train and another 10 mins by regular bus to the Doncaster Races Exhibition Centre so quite easy.

There was also ample parking and the roads seemed to be pretty clear.

Queuing – When I saw the queues outside it as halfway round the building and I thought I was going to be stuck there for an hour. As it was we were in by 12:15 and there was no hassle with security searches just paid, tagged and off we went.

Artists

There were around 168 tattoo artists from all over the USA Europe and as far away as Japan. Normally at conventions there is a mix of shaky average, average, good and mind blowing artists.

I am pleased to say that I managed to look at every single artist’s work and all of them ranged from good to mind blowing. I was extremely impressed at the quality of artwork that was on offer. This said quite a bit was not to my personal taste but even my wife is who anti-tattooing admitted that there were some damn fine artists.

There were several artists who even amongst this large gathering really stood out for me;

Electric Linda (Norway) some mind blowing portrait work and damn was she booked from the moment she sat down.

Red Bunny Tattoo (Tokoyo) – These had some masterful Japanese tats and with 4 artists every one of them was booked solid.

Tattoo Prime Dublin – These had to be the best fantasy tattoo portrait artists I have seen in a long, long time.

Skunx Tattoo – I admit even though not a fan of Louis Malloy Dan Gold is 1. An excellent artist (his killer robots are great) 2. Was actually very approachable. We had a 10 min chat as he was working on a lady’s stomach piece and had no objections to me getting a film clip of his work and a few photo’s.

Security Guards

To be honest the majority were a right pain in the arse with faces so long they were scraping the floor. Permanently moaning at ppl to move along.

The prime example was that at the same time as the convention there was a private wedding going on which seemed to be very expensive affair. They were segregated but since they had split the artists over a top and bottom floor we had to share a lift.

The security guard was saying that 4 of us with tattoos had to get out of the lift so that his wedding party (not bride or groom just guests) did not have to share a lift with ‘our kind’! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Since you could fit 16 ppl in this lift we advised that we were not stopping anybody from getting in and since we paid ยฃ20 each to get in + hundreds combined in tattoo fees and general purchasing we had every damn right to use the lift like everybody else.

The wedding party got in and it was all smiles after that point.

Exhibition Tattooing

There was some great examples of stick/bone tapping tattooing going on as well as a 2x single point Japanese artists who were doing some work.

Great stuff to watch.

I also got to watch some Maori tattooing being done but this was with a machine. They also had to hold the guy still for his chest piece (Wuss! lol)

Food and Drink

Well very basic and the food service was crap – queuing forever and had to repeat order about 4 times and also ran out of soft drinks.

The sandwiches were around ยฃ4.50 -ยฃ6 and a bottle of lager would set you back around ยฃ3 so not too extortionate but not cheap.

Bands

Regular live bands which from the bits I heard were not bad.

The vendors – lots of em and the usual expensive crap was on sale – was some nice gems to be had to be fair in terms of portraits and such but ยฃ350 for a A3 picture of a tattooed lip reading Fuck Off was taking the piss looked like it had been ripped from BME.

My wife spent a fortune on clothes there – T shirts alone set me back ยฃ15 a piece but again some nice stuff in and amongst the usual tat.

I wasn’t able to stay for the judging comps as had to head back but would def go again.

The day out including travel, food & drink and shopping was for 2 ยฃ170.

The downside was my wife wouldn’t let me get any ink done due to health issues ๐Ÿ™ but had a damn good time and would recommend it for next year.

Take care
    Matthew

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

i wish i had gone alone now its not that far for me . ๐Ÿ™

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

emote_coolthumb.gif
    great post matthew

vizzielover
    Participant
    @vizzielover

Wish I’d gone too, only about 40 mins drive from me!

DropDeadDani
    Participant
    @dropdeaddani

i went on the sunday =p
    its great there holding the event at donny for another 4 years too =]
    which days did u go?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Dani

I went on the Saturday – as I am not an artist I could not attend the lectures on the Friday ๐Ÿ™

I was chatting with a guy on the phone and he stated that next year if i send them an email and proofs of my studies they will let me attend as an academic observer.

Shame I missed you would have been good to hook up i would have loved to see your ink in the flesh.

Take Care
    Matthew

DropDeadDani
    Participant
    @dropdeaddani

lol always next year! u will love my fiances tattoos too there all black and gray, mine are all colour and im not planning on going black and gray anytime soon lol
    but yer, hope to catch ya next time! ill be there on the sat n sunday as were both entering for awards for both days, hope i win at least one!

eighty4
    Participant
    @eighty4

Is this held in donny every year or does it move from place to place every year? Reason I ask im from sheffield originally and go home for a holiday every year. It’d be great to pop along ๐Ÿ™‚

DropDeadDani
    Participant
    @dropdeaddani

its going on for another 4 years in donny, the last one was the first one in donny.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.