Redeyejedi
Participant
@redeyejedi

New to the boards here and couldn’t find this question asked so …
I recently lost 15 pounds, plan to regain the weight n more. But if I get inked and I fill my body frame again, will the piece stretch? :confused:
I’m assuming the location may play a role in any possible distortion, so I’m asking about chest, arms, back, and lower legs.
Thanks in advance.

Mods, please delete second post. Mistake.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Sure it will stretch and shrink with your body composition, but you won’t even notice it unless you gain/lose a huge amount of weight very quickly. I weigh about 9 lbs more than I did in April (when I got my last tat), and I expect I’ll put on another 5-10 lbs within the next few months (intentional bulking .. weight training).

Redeyejedi
Participant
@redeyejedi

What you consider a huge amount? Larger folks have more capacity for weight changes.
I am 5’5″ and at my peak I am 165 pounds fit. I normally am in the 155-160. I recently suffered a 17 pound weight loss due some bullshit drama/depression. I intend to gain the weight back and be back in the upper 150s.
1. Would it be better to put off getting arm or chest work done until I regain the weight?
I didn’t notice the weight loss however everyone around me certainly has and won’t leave me be about it. It was only till I jumped on the scale at work that I realized how much I shrank.
2. Hope this doesn’t sound silly, but are certain pigments more susceptible to the effects of weight change?
I assume weight loss would affect a peice differently then an increase in weight.
3. How does losing a lot of weight affect a tattoo?

Thanks,
Aaron

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

My wife lost 45 lbs in the last 5 months; that’s drastic. I’m 6′ and I weighed 174 lbs in April. I now weigh 183 and I expect to be 190+ early in the new year. Over the course of 9 lbs I didn’t notice any change in the look of my upper arm portrait and I am certain I won’t notice any when I break 190 either. Now if I were go on an eating binge and rocket up to 225 lbs by March, then I am sure my tat would be all f**ed up.

1. For that 5-10 lbs, I wouldn’t worry about it at all.
2. No, but you will notice it more on some pieces than others. e.g. A simple design will show the effects less than a very detailed piece.
3. Just as you would imagine it would. Imagine a balloon with a picture on it. As you aid or remove air from the balloon, the image changes a bit in terms of proportions and so forth. Within a certain range, you don’t really notice any difference in the image. However, if you overinfle the balloon or let all the air out, the image looks completely different than if the balloon was properly inflated.

Redeyejedi
Participant
@redeyejedi

Thanks defiance, much appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.