Katydid00
Participant
@katydid00

I have had my tattoo for also a month now, and have a lot of what is called a “Blow Out” I like to describe it as the ink leaked into the skin around where the ink was out in. I am not happy about this, and was wondering what causes it? I noticed it the next day after I got it, and it still has not gone away. Is there any way of getting rid of it, other then tattooing over it. I really don’t want to add any shading to my tattoo. It is in more spots then the one in the pic.
Here is a pic. Please help.

tattoo.jpg

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

If you check my blog for ‘ink in the skin’ the answers are there.

Take Care
Matthew

Katydid00
Participant
@katydid00

Thanks for that info, so it’s basically b/c the ink was put in too deep. What does that say about the artist? I have other work done by him and haven’t had a problem with anything else. It is on my shoulder going down my arm. Maybe it’s because of the area?
Could it also be caused by the sun. Exposing the tattoo to the sun too early. Someone told me that, but for some reason, I’m not sure if I believe that.

S.Neill
Participant
@s-neill
Katydid00;68381 wrote:
Thanks for that info, so it’s basically b/c the ink was put in too deep. What does that say about the artist? I have other work done by him and haven’t had a problem with anything else. It is on my shoulder going down my arm. Maybe it’s because of the area?
Could it also be caused by the sun. Exposing the tattoo to the sun too early. Someone told me that, but for some reason, I’m not sure if I believe that.

Its easy to do and even pros sometimes do it. Usually it can be avoided, and it should be but I wouldn’t blacklist the artist for it. At least not in this case, it seems somewhat slight. I’m not trying to defend him either…obviously I don’t know him…and a good artist should never have a blow out like this, but like I said, it happens. Usually it happens when you “float” the needle instead of setting it. I float mine, and with a small detailed piece you almost have to in order to maintain line integrity, so you are working more by feel and instinct, and that is when something like this generally occurs.

anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates
Katydid00;68366 wrote:
I have had my tattoo for also a month now, and have a lot of what is called a “Blow Out” I like to describe it as the ink leaked into the skin around where the ink was out in. I am not happy about this, and was wondering what causes it? I noticed it the next day after I got it, and it still has not gone away. Is there any way of getting rid of it, other then tattooing over it. I really don’t want to add any shading to my tattoo. It is in more spots then the one in the pic.
Here is a pic. Please help.

tattoo.jpg

Where is your tattoo on your body?

A few months ago, I got a tattoo on the side of my foot and it looked INCREDIBLY blown out initially, hours after getting the tattoo. After a month and a half, the blow out had faded considerably, but it was still noticable. I’ve since gone to another, more respectable artist, who fixed my tattoo; it looks better now than I ever could have expected. The difference is night and day. But, keep in mind that my tattoo looks better now because the second artist did shade some of the blown out areas.

When I asked the second artist why he thought my tattoo was blown out, he said it probably had to do with two things: 1) The type on skin on your feet dramatically changes (ex: the skin on the top of your foot is much better skin to tattoo than the side of your foot). My tattoo is on the top and side of my foot, so there is a big difference in skin type where the original artist tattooed and 2) The artist was heavy handed. This means that because the artist put so much pressure on the needle while tattooing, the ink settled a layer deeper in your skin than it was supposed to. The first thing my second artist said when he saw my tattoo was, “Maaannn, he really got that ink deeeeepp in there.” He was shocked.

I hate to suggest this, but you might be able to fade out the blow out some if you tan? Any kind of sun will fade a tattoo, and if the blow out is faded enough, you could always go to another artist later on and have them redo the line after it fades so that the blow out is barely noticeable.

Katydid00
Participant
@katydid00

The artist that did my tattoo is my friend, who owns his own shop, and is the best tattooist in the city he lives in. I’m not just saying that b/c he is my friend, it’s true. You ask anyone where to go for a tattoo and everyone says his shop. He is booked for 2 months in advance usally. He did a big fairy on my back, and a little tat on my foot. I have other tattoos from other artists, and he has the lightest hand of them all. He is known to have a light touch. That’s why I don’t really understand why this happened. Everywhere I read blow outs are caused by a heavy handed tattooist. But it happened, and I know it was not done on purpose, and I’m sure if he knew that I was going to have a blow out he would have done something different. I’m am disappointed b/c I am now going to have to change my tattoo by adding some shading around it. The tattoo starts on my back, goes over my should and comes down my arm between my shoulder and elbow, so it’s not like it’s a small piece. It also connects with the fairy on my back. I like your suggestion about getting a tan, but I am too afraid on the rest of my tattoos fading. The tattooist hasn’t seem the blow outs yet, so I don’t even know what he does suggest. I am going back to him to get it fixed. I also have to get the rest of it finished LOL

anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates
Katydid00;68566 wrote:
The artist that did my tattoo is my friend, who owns his own shop, and is the best tattooist in the city he lives in. I’m not just saying that b/c he is my friend, it’s true. You ask anyone where to go for a tattoo and everyone says his shop. He is booked for 2 months in advance usally. He did a big fairy on my back, and a little tat on my foot. I have other tattoos from other artists, and he has the lightest hand of them all. He is known to have a light touch. That’s why I don’t really understand why this happened. Everywhere I read blow outs are caused by a heavy handed tattooist. But it happened, and I know it was not done on purpose, and I’m sure if he knew that I was going to have a blow out he would have done something different. I’m am disappointed b/c I am now going to have to change my tattoo by adding some shading around it. The tattoo starts on my back, goes over my should and comes down my arm between my shoulder and elbow, so it’s not like it’s a small piece. It also connects with the fairy on my back. I like your suggestion about getting a tan, but I am too afraid on the rest of my tattoos fading. The tattooist hasn’t seem the blow outs yet, so I don’t even know what he does suggest. I am going back to him to get it fixed. I also have to get the rest of it finished LOL

The part of the tattoo, where its blown out, where is it located on your body? Some blow outs happen when the skin changes on different parts of the body (ex: the skin on your back is different than the skin on your shoulder, the skin on your shoulder is different than the skin on your arm).

It might just be that wherever the blow out happened, the skin had more fat in it (I’m by no means suggesting that you are overweight, everyone’s skin has fat in it). The reason a tattoo looks blown out is because the ink managed to travel a layer deeper than it is supposed to, and the fat in that layer soaked up the ink.

If you trust your artist, and I feel from what I’ve read above that you definitely do, then yeah, I would just go talk to him. If he is as skilled as you say he is (and I don’t doubt that), then he will be able to help you with the blow out.

If you trust

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.