Ghostmute
Participant
@ghostmute

Hello everyone,

I’ve got a tattoo design in mind, but I’m bothered with a question about how realistic it might be. This would be my first tattoo; I’m considering getting a number of quotes from sources as ranged as Carl Sagan, Carl Jung, Hemingway, Faulkner, Bierce, Vonnegut, and on and on (about twenty, twenty five different quotes from around nineteen authors, poets, or scientists), and I want the quotes to be arranged into a labyrinth.

Obviously, this is where the practicality comes into play. Does anyone with experience think this could work? I’m considering placement to be on my upper back, in a small font san serifs. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

The first and foremost thing you should be doing is introducing yourself in that section, you may or may not get some replies, do to the lack of etiquette by posting this first. GL.

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

Well, you’d have to find a talented artist that could get the placement completely straight.

And…
Smaller fonts are cool for a few years…
But really; the ink will bleed. It disperses/separates throughout time and you’d be looking at a lot of black smudges on your back after some time has passed.

Edit:

Bdubbs;59631 wrote:
The first and foremost thing you should be doing is introducing yourself in that section, you may or may not get some replies, do to the lack of etiquette by posting this first. GL.

Ignore this.
It isn’t a set-in-stone rule.
People like their high-horses in here though.

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
Jubakuba;59633 wrote:
Well, you’d have to find a talented artist that could get the placement completely straight.

And…
Smaller fonts are cool for a few years…
But really; the ink will bleed. It disperses/separates throughout time and you’d be looking at a lot of black smudges on your back after some time has passed.

Edit:

Ignore.

WOW! Its called common courtesy, assuming you lack in that department as well.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

I’m of the opinion that it won’t work worth a damn. As Jubakuba said, after a few years, tattoos bleed and blurr together, so a small font in a few years won’t be legible.

From an artistic stand point, I can’t get an image in my head of a way that it wouldn’t look crowded and busy. If you’re asking my opinion, no matter how good the artist is, even if you use a large enough font for it to not blur together, it’s still not gonna come out looking very good.

Just saying.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Ghostmute
Participant
@ghostmute

Thanks very much for the swift and concise replies — very appreciated. Have a good one.

ChaosDani
Participant
@chaosdani

-THREAD HIJACK-

Ok, this whole “introduce yourself or else” thing is getting a bit carried away. Not everyone knows that its common courtesy to introduce yourself in a forum before you start asking questions. I just want to remind everyone that its not our place to scold new members for not following proper protocol. Its not even a big deal if they don’t. I mean, really… do you stand up and make an announcement every time you walk into a room full of strangers?
Calling people out on it just discourages them from posting in the future.

Bdubbs- don’t take it personally. I think its just kinda heated around here cause Biker’s such a douche about it. 😉

To the OP- I can’t see it looking good. That’s a lot of text for one tattoo.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

In response to your tattoo question it is possible to have this done in spirals so that each quote circles inside the other.

However the sizing would be at least a 12 pt and the space required would have to be huge otherwise it will just meld into a blob of ink.

My advice is choose 8 quotes of your most fave and have them done as an interlocking tattoo such as an 8 star of chaos with each quote on the arrow of the star. (just as an example)

===================================================================

Introductions Argument

Ok peeps lets try and lay this argument to rest once and for all it is like the junkie monkey we cannot shake off our shoulders – it’s weighing us down.

This is just my view and frankly I don’t expect you all to agree or even adhere – it is just a suggestion.

Whilst not carved in stone it is nice if people do introduce themselves. This is because we are a community as well as a stop and shop for tattoo answers. We do want more emphasis on community.

The more we know about somebody the more likely you are to help them.

However this is the real world and for whatever reason many people are not going to post an intro.

My advice is it is a personal judgement call as to whether you help a person or not. If one of the reasons you do not wish to is because no intro they will soon work that out.

If a person does help them and there is no intro it is the poster’s choice as an adult.

If a poster is asking for something major like a design to be drawn for free or a major 3 page answer then sure suggest maybe an intro and involvement is the best way to go.

Demanding an intro from a 2 liner or a simple do you like my ink is likely to put off the poster from getting involved.

Take Care
Matthew

katdiablo
Participant
@katdiablo

* responding to the thread hijack **

I’m new here too..

I think the rationale holds true no matter where you are that it’s not necessarily the message, but rather the tone & delivery of the message…

I’d suggest a polite, “Hi, welcome! Please be sure to post an intro for us so we can learn more about you!”

P.S. the tattoo idea of the OP is definitely interesting…

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

*pumps shotgun*

Lord Matthew Hull has spoken. Thus it shall be, thus it has been, and thus it shall ever be. All hail his excellence, his glorious majesty, Lord Matthew Hull of the English Isles!

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Lmao 😀

There is no need to take the piss quite that much KH. And if you want my official title is Sir Hull, The Forum Heathen Immolater.

Seriously though don’t ppl get tired of the whole argument? It is across all forums.

Take Care
Matthew

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Oh, I totally, 100% agree with you man. Seeing these threads with useful questions derailed by the “GO INTRODUCE YOURSELF FUCKHEAD!” thing is idiotic. I kinda want to smack them.

However, if I don’t mock you at every given turn, Sir Matthew, how will you know I like you?

Wanna go steady?

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.