Demure
    Participant
    @demure

I’m pretty laid back. I guess I don’t really care that much one way or another but I wouldn’t want anyone to ever consider me trampy or slutty therefore, I’d never get a lower back tattoo. To each their own… as per usual..

Talistar
    Participant
    @talistar

One of the sides and not the middle of your lower back will be more uniques and less skanky in my opinion…

Demure
    Participant
    @demure
    Talistar;33112 wrote:
    One of the sides and not the middle of your lower back will be more uniques and less skanky in my opinion…

I concur +1

Azure
    Participant
    @azure

Ahh the ‘tramp stamp’ debate gets me heated haha.

As of recently, I am the proud owner of one of these controversial tattoos.
    I’ll just add that I’m not a slut, don’t sleep around or wear trashy clothes etc, whether or not that is the issue in question.
    I had the design for this tattoo done before I decided on the placement. There is an image on one side and then an equal sized block of text on the other side – the block of text is a verse from the poem I read at my mother’s funeral, the picture symbolises her in my own way, and the whole thing is a tribute to her. When I had the design, I considered placement, and lower back was the only place for me. I did not want it wrapped around anything, so that ruled out legs and arms. I will not be having large stomach pieces until I know I am done having children, for obvious reasons. I wanted it to be central (I have a thing about symmetry) so not on my side. I’m not into chest pieces – too much of a lifestyle change for me. I already have a between shoulder tattoo, it was too big to go above, and I have a tattoo design in the pipeline which meant centre back is out of the question, so lower back was the only place – it suits it, it’s not the typical ‘tramp stamp’ design, and I’m very happy with it. Absolutely nothing about wanting sexual attention, that’s a really absurd accusation, I’m not really into the sort of guys that would see a glimpse of a tattoo and think ‘i want a bit of that’ anyway to be honest…

So if all that makes me a tramp, then so be it ๐Ÿ˜‰

The way I see it is that women are pretty limited with space for tattoos… a lot don’t like to have arms done for reasons like what it’ll look like with a dress etc, stomach is out of the question for intelligent people who want to have children unless they have the money for laser, legs are only good for particular types of designs, and chest tattoos on women are pretty controversial too. So that leaves the back, and the lower back is a good spot for women as it doesn’t stretch as much as other areas of the body with age, it does allow you to show part of the tattoo off if you want that (and there’s nothing wrong with that, no different to having it on your arms), and it’s a nice big canvas for you to be creative with.

That’s just my humble opinion anyway… we’re all entitled to our opinions and the world would be boring if we all agreed… but I dislike those who insist that women with those tat’s are trampy and/or have trampy intentions… simply not true.

And an afterthought… the epidural thing is rubbish. I didn’t have the tattoo when I had my son, but 95% of my friends are fellow mums, and you’ve no idea how many people I know with lower back tattoos who had the epidural. Not sure where that rumours come from, maybe there’s been an issue with it with someone, but believe me it’s not the case with most.

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

well you summed up all my thoughts on the subject pretty much.:) Now i dont have to type too much lol

Azure
    Participant
    @azure

Haha…

I was sposed to quit rambling in the new year… oh well!

smallville_hero
    Participant
    @smallville_hero

I would think get want ya want and to hell with people. I dont see anything wrong with em.
    I do think there are better places. I like them on the navel myself, but back is subtle and its good when only people can see them when you want. My opinion anyways.

aquaned
    Participant
    @aquaned
    Demure;33001 wrote:
    That’s like saying… wear really short skirts that show your skivvies and shirts that allow your tits to fall out. No one cares how much sex you’ve had and by calling someone a slut or tramp for wearing that kind of clothes is SEXIST!

The idea is… what kind of MESSAGE do you want to send to others around you?

Are you like a republican or something? You sound like my mother.

Who cares what message my appearence sends to others. if they don’t take the time to get to know me then f**k ’em. I can’t stand that kind of subjectivity – do what please you and only you.

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher
    aquaned;33548 wrote:
    Are you like a republican or something? You sound like my mother.

Who cares what message my appearence sends to others. if they don’t take the time to get to know me then f**k ’em. I can’t stand that kind of subjectivity – do what please you and only you.

I don’t agree, we have to be responsible for the way we are perceived by others. People who don’t give a shit are the same people who will complain constantly about some form of social rejection. It is in your face that society does not accept certain steriotypes, like it or not. If you choose to follow a steriotype that is not usually accepted then that is 110% fine, but you have no right to complain about the rejection you may receive.
    I love the idea ‘fuck the system’ but I enjoy living and being a part of society so ‘fuck society’ is not something I can follow.

I would expect you to understand this more than most, being gay will have been a struggle at time in certain environments. Walking down the road all loved up arm in arm with your partner, giving him a kiss as you part on the street to go oposite directions has never been acceped in the way and hetro couple would beable to do the same thing. If you want to do that, then again it is 110% fine, but expect a certain degree of social rejection and don’t complain about it. You know how it is and it is your choice.
    This is not about being right or wrong, it is about society and understanding where we stand within others views, sometimes it is just easier to comply to a certain point.
    Ramble finished.

aquaned
    Participant
    @aquaned
    scrubmuncher;33551 wrote:
    I don’t agree, we have to be responsible for the way we are perceived by others. People who don’t give a shit are the same people who will complain constantly about some form of social rejection. It is in your face that society does not accept certain steriotypes, like it or not. If you choose to follow a steriotype that is not usually accepted then that is 110% fine, but you have no right to complain about the rejection you may receive.
    I love the idea ‘fuck the system’ but I enjoy living and being a part of society so ‘fuck society’ is not something I can follow.

I would expect you to understand this more than most, being gay will have been a struggle at time in certain environments. Walking down the road all loved up arm in arm with your partner, giving him a kiss as you part on the street to go oposite directions has never been acceped in the way and hetro couple would beable to do the same thing. If you want to do that, then again it is 110% fine, but expect a certain degree of social rejection and don’t complain about it. You know how it is and it is your choice.
    This is not about being right or wrong, it is about society and understanding where we stand within others views, sometimes it is just easier to comply to a certain point.
    Ramble finished.

Well stated yet shallow sentiment. If we accept society’s subjective hang ups then we are doomed to live with them eternally but if we rebel we stand the slightest chance of evolving. Why do you think we can even talk about gay marriage today? Beacuse some of us dared to reject an unfair and subjective system design by old crabby whtie guys.

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

I agree and change does occur, rightly so. Although a daily assault on society does very little in small numbers. Minorities are seldom seen yet alone heard. Portray a whore and expect to be tret like a whore, it is pesonal preference, and for the most, people don’t give a toss. My point being only that of do not be suprised when society kicks you in the bollocks for not giving a fuck, the majority are against freedom and change, indifference. The words so often used to describe our lives as being free to be who we wanna be even freedom of speach are only puddle deep in reality of the society we live in.
    Human nature is to label and look down on those who may not share our lifestyle, or fit into our clan. Bullshit it is, but it will never change, a minority will always exist in some form or another, and the majority will always be there to kick them to the gutter!

aquaned
    Participant
    @aquaned
    scrubmuncher;33553 wrote:
    I agree and change does occur, rightly so. Although a daily assault on society does very little in small numbers. Minorities are seldom seen yet alone heard. Portray a whore and expect to be tret like a whore, it is pesonal preference, and for the most, people don’t give a toss. My point being only that of do not be suprised when society kicks you in the bollocks for not giving a fuck, the majority are against freedom and change, indifference. The words so often used to describe our lives as being free to be who we wanna be even freedom of speach are only puddle deep in reality of the society we live in.
    Human nature is to label and look down on those who may not share our lifestyle, or fit into our clan. Bullshit it is, but it will never change, a minority will always exist in some form or another, and the majority will always be there to kick them to the gutter!

I think the fact that we were raised in different countries may have some bearing on our difference of opinion. We’re obnoxiously individualistic here in the states. Anyway, I doubt a young women with a tattoo on her lower back would be treated like a whore in any circle that I know of or kicked to the gutter. This isn’t 1950. Live and Let Live

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Don’t take my examples si literally, they are merely that, an example to show my understanding of human nature!!

Azure
    Participant
    @azure
    scrubmuncher;33551 wrote:
    If you choose to follow a steriotype that is not usually accepted then that is 110% fine, but you have no right to complain about the rejection you may receive.

Haha, well I’m British and female, so complaining is my prerogative ๐Ÿ˜‰

I do see where you’re coming from with this point. However, I don’t entirely agree. The ‘tramp stamp’ stigma has only really developed in recent years as far as I’m aware.
    eg. Next week, society might decide that people with earrings are sluts, but as ear piercing has been around for donkeys years before the stigma tag (as had l.b. tattoos), would that really make it so that everybody who continued to have their ears pierced in the future had to sit and take the crap that previous generations didn’t have, without being able to say anything about it, because they made the choice?
    Social trends and tabboos go in unpredictable directions, and I don’t think it’s necessarily making a statement as strong as ‘fuck society’ to simply please yourself as opposed to others. Those words never crossed my mind when getting my l.b. tattoo… as said previously for me it was just a logical conclusion about the best placement for a design I really wanted. While I’m comfortable with people having differing opinions, if someone walked up to me on the street and called me a tramp for my tattoo they’d get a hard slap… I’ll happily take criticism when I’ve asked for an opinion, but I don’t think there’s any excuse for blatant rudeness when it’s uncalled for, whether I’ve put myself in that position or not.

And worry not, rambling is all good ๐Ÿ˜‰

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

Man this is a very long thread

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.