axis68
Participant
@axis68

Hi All,

Apologies if this has come up before but what do you consider to be the best antibacterial soap on the UK market for washing a fresh tattoo?

Are there certain ingredients within the soap I need to stay away from?

Tanx for any advice.

Arcangle
Participant
@arcangle
axis68;49843 wrote:
Hi All,

Apologies if this has come up before but what do you consider to be the best antibacterial soap on the UK market for washing a fresh tattoo?

Are there certain ingredients within the soap I need to stay away from?

Tanx for any advice.

Anti Bacterial is not recommended,the skin has a natural and friendly population of bacteria that helps protect the surface of the wound,therefore using an anti-bacterial product would kill the bad bacteria but would also greatly reduce the natural bacteria leaving the skin without its primary defense.

Your tattooist already has used clean and aseptic techniques to avoid any nasty bacteria so its usually best to use warm water,(do not use cloth or sponge) pat dry then allow the skin to dry out for 40-60 mins and apply an Aftercare product such as Protat or Tattoo Goo etc.

Hope this helps.

Injun
Participant
@injun

I don’t know about you, but I recommend anti-bacterial soap. I would rather lose the good bacteria when trying to get rid of the bad, than to not use it, and get an infection. If you don’t kill the bad, then it is still there. :rolleyes:

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i use a spray wash by savlon , its mild as its for children’s cuts and grazes i have also used normal dove soap before and i have never had any problems with healing at all 😀

CruisingComet
Participant
@cruisingcomet

I used a natural antibacterial hand wash with tee tree oil on mine, no problems here 😎

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

I just use a towel soaked in warm water to gently pat it and remove any dried blood and apply bepanthen, I don’t use soap until maybe a few days later.

Triliaeris
Participant
@triliaeris

It’s amazing how many different aftercare procedures there are. I was informed to wash mine with antibacterial soap 3-4 times a day for 7 days, and apply aquaphor once my skin dried. After 7 days I could switch to a normal lotion.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

you should never use anything that is oil based for aftercare treatment….. this includes tee tree oil !!! it can leach out the colour;)

personally i use bactericidal hand soap made by zenith, i always have it in my studio …. its the same stuff that you would use in a restaurant or catering business, but i have also used dove soap and all is well.

one of my clients uses savlon baby wipes to wipe it gently and then let it dry, she heals real quick so i might try that when i have another done :p

CruisingComet
Participant
@cruisingcomet
Outlaw;50492 wrote:
you should never use anything that is oil based for aftercare treatment….. this includes tee tree oil !!! it can leach out the colour;)

Really Outlaw?

I thought tee tree oil was gentle? It’s not hurt the colours in my tattoo anyway, but thanks for the tip 😎

journik
@

Arcangel is 100% on the money. Antibacterial soaps just allow antibacterial soap RESISTANT bacteria to stay alive and destroys all the rest IF and ONLY IF you leave it on the skin for 2+ minutes. Otherwise, it’s useless… it takes 2 minutes to work.

BUT… after those two minutes… you’ve got a bigger problem… you only have resistant bacteria on your skin.. they multiply and now you’ve got a new society of flesh eating bacteria with no competition for food. I read this at http://bioprin.posterous.com/mom-why-antibacterial-soap-is-dangerous-to-yo

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
Triliaeris;50483 wrote:
It’s amazing how many different aftercare procedures there are. I was informed to wash mine with antibacterial soap 3-4 times a day for 7 days, and apply aquaphor once my skin dried. After 7 days I could switch to a normal lotion.

I agree! Now I hear people say NOT to use anti bacterial soap..WTF! I’ll stick with using it, I’ve very rarely heard people say not to use it. I switch to lotion on the 3rd day with zero problems.

Arcangle
Participant
@arcangle
Injun;50248 wrote:
I don’t know about you, but I recommend anti-bacterial soap. I would rather lose the good bacteria when trying to get rid of the bad, than to not use it, and get an infection. If you don’t kill the bad, then it is still there. :rolleyes:

mmmmm…:rolleyes:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.