LemonScampi
@

Hey all,

I’m just looking for a bit of advice from some people who are probably alot more experienced with piercings than I am, so here is my problem…

I’d been thinking about getting a lip ring for a while, and so finally bit the bullet about 6-7 weeks ago and got the piercing done. It went fine and I was happy enough walking around with the bar in it, but eager for it to be ready to have the ring put in. I went back about 3 weeks later but was told it needed more time to heal, so I had a shorter bar put in and played the waiting game. Upon going back to the shop today the guy who I’d spoken to on my previous trip (but not the guy who pierced me) told me that actually my piercing had been done too low, and that I’d have to put a really big ring in and it probably wouldn’t look great.

I am to say the least somewhat disappointed, especially as the place I went has a fairly good reputation and I definitely told the piercer that I wanted a ring. So really now I’m just looking at my options. Part of me is tempted to just stick with the piercing I have and accept I can’t have a ring through it, but part of me still really wants the ring that I always did.

So my real question I suppose is to what you’d do? I’ve been wondering about just taking out my piercing and letting it heal over then getting it redone in the right place, would that work? How long would it take to heal? Would it leave a massive scar? If not then my other options are getting it done on the other side (bottom right) or the piercer said he thought he could do another one just above my current piercing (bottom left), I’m just a little worried about how it’ll look…

All advice much appreciated.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

I don’t know much about piercings but I think you should pull it out, wait 6 months and repierce it way you want. Or…. leave the one you have now, have fun with it and pierce the other side in a bit. Then you take the first one out and let it heal. My wife has a lebret and when it’s not in its very unnoticeable. Her’s is a 14 gauge.

So much of life is about compromise. this is something you don’t have to settle on so I think you should do what it takes to get what you want.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

From what I understand the risk of just taking out a fresh new piercing is that this gives the wound an opportunity to become an abscess, as often the outsides of the wound will seal.

DragunRose
Participant
@dragunrose

Ideally with a new piercing you want to leave it alone during the healing process, that includes removing/changing the jewelry. Think about it, you now have a hole in your body, the jewelry at least acts as a “seal” as long as you are properly caring for it.

I would suggest letting the piercing heal, once it does you can play around with rings before you decide if you want to get repierced. If you hate it let it heal and re do it. You won’t have a massive scar as long as you don’t have any problems during the healing process.

Healing always depends on the person, but as far as letting the hole close and repiercing it you want to give it about 6 months.

And if you told your piercer you wanted a ring, talk to him about changing when it is time? Just me personally but if I trusted my piercer I would talk to him about jewelry change before I talked to someone who didn’t do my piercing in the first place.

ShauniMay
Participant
@shaunimay

My lip piercing is a lot lower than most piercings are, and i still manage to wear a ring 🙂
atw5lz.jpg
(it may not look low in this picture but it is)
It really depends on the size of the ring.
Taking out a lip piercing usually does leave a scar, and its usually just the outside of the piercing that heals, not the middle, but it is entirely up to you and your piercer. I personally wouldnt talk to someone that didnt do my piercing about changing the jewelry. Hope this helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.