Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

sounds like a case of Jealousy to me……

so if somebody asked you to do some work, then after you completed it they offer you a tip….. not because they think your too cheap but because they liked your work…. would you take it or would you say to them that you dont believe in tips ??

seniorminnion
    Participant
    @seniorminnion

tbh – I regularly get offered a little extra and I normally say thanks but no thanks – the price was what we agreed on – if you’re happy with my work then just recommend me to others – that’s better than a tip to me – they go away happy – and I get some good word of mouth – hopefully !

seniorminnion
    Participant
    @seniorminnion

( and btw – the whole “tip” thing is another americanism – that is mainly important for the low paid service industry — not people on a bigger hourly wage than solicitors ot doctors ) – and I don’t think the next time you get a solicitors bill that you’d tip them ! – nothing to do with jealousy – just a price for an hours work is exactly that – not another 20% on top of that !

ryannnnn
    Participant
    @ryannnnn

I always tip the artist, even a 60 dollar tat on my wrist i tipped him 20.

Maybe it is an american thing?

I tip everyone who does good work! 🙂

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

For the record, I think seniorminnion sounds like a dick.

Just sayin.

For my two cents, I really think the tip has as much to do with your relationship with your artist as it does appreciation. I’ve gotten all my ink from the same artist, and as long as he’s still working, I don’t plan on going to anyone else. We’ve known each other for years, and I’ve brought him more than a few repeat customers. More, we just get on real well.

Every time I’ve tried to tip him, he’s flat out refused, even when I was flush with cash. Most he’s let me do is get him a subway sandwich. Hell, last time, he bought ME a freaking soda because I was broke. I couldn’t even pay for my ink–my best friend did, because he’s awesome that way.

On the other hand, I saw him accept a $500 tip from someone else without blinking.

So honestly dude, I’d just dude what Lord Matthew Hull said, and talk to your dude.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

I tip sometimes, nearly every time a piece is finished. I visit my artist once every couple months, so I’m always saving up to visit him. I give him extra money sometimes, or alcohol, and I’ll keep my eye out for Harley-Davidson related stuff (loves ’em). You want your artist to enjoy working on you – tipping makes it hurt less too 😉

The Mighty Ming
    Participant
    @the-mighty-ming

I tried to tip my artist on my first and last session out of 4, and he said don’t worry about it. He knew I sold my PS3 just to get the last bit of cash I needed to pay for it, maybe that’s why? But I don’t make a lot of money and my tips were pitiful, I probably offended him!

Bdubbs
    Participant
    @bdubbs

My artist charges 150/hr. Hes working on my second sleeve, which hes done them both. He does great work and works at a decent pace. Also my last session was close to 3.5 hours which would be around 525.00. He treats me right and said lets make it 400.00! I tipped him 65 bucks. The very first session I tip him 20-30 which is usually only the outline work done. There after its 40+ dollars for each sitting.

eatatjerms
    Participant
    @eatatjerms

I usually tip $25 per hour which is 20%.

seniorminnion
    Participant
    @seniorminnion

nice response – and for having a different opinion to you I’m a dick ?? – simply because I believe a price agreed is a fair and honest one !

– for your information – tipping in the uk is nowhere near as common as in the states – and tbh very few people do it for professions. As far as tattooing goes, I’m very much a novice and as to what the general norm is in this country I really couldnt say. I just offered and honest opinion as to why I feel someone fairly welll paid wouldnt expect a tip, and why unless they went above the normal standards expected wouldn’t get a tip from me.
    that doesnt mean I wouldnt appreciate his/her work !

– I notice you didn’t answer my analogy regarding solicitors fees ?? would you tip them – or a doctor etc ??

– just a different view to yours – why the abuse ??

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Because you’re a dick.

I thought it was obvious. Do I need to draw you a diagram?

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink
    seniorminnion;63183 wrote:
    when the artist is getting 5 -10 times my hourly wage – I’m afraid a tip wouldn’t enter my mind ! – I wouldn’t tip any other tradesman that gave me a price for a job either !

you have no idea of the work involved in tattooing….you are ignorant. I work damn hard for my money, I’m exhausted at the end of the day and then have a family to look after, i wouldnt say i was well paid….I EARN IT BY WORKING VERY HARD!! and what else can you buy that will last a lifetime? Maybe you should get a better paying job:confused:

I very rarely get tips and dont expect it either, but your comment is really quite ignorant and arrogant. Do you think tattooist just cream the money? And dont really have to work hard? What about overheads and sterilization, inks ….blah blah blah….the list goes on. YOu pay for quality its your perogative if you tip or not.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

*points up*

That right there. Easier to just say he’s a self-absorbed dick, though.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

seniorminnion
    Participant
    @seniorminnion

well shitehawk – since we’re getting personal – I ‘ve had a look at your page — and for you to call someone a dick – what a joke – like a big kid — obsessed with zombies ?? – love / peace metallica ? — how old are you – 14 ? – life full of responsibilities is it ? lol get a life – and get down a gym ffs !!!

– and I’m not saying tattooists aren’t a very talented buch of people – they certainly are – they do something not many could ! – though they hardy put in a hard days graft ( compared to someone working on a construction site I mean – graft is relative to trade and difficult to compare ! – they draw a picture on someones skin — talented yes – but they can hardly be equated with someone who does a hard days physical graft ! — mentally of course – and the effort of setting up a business like anyone else.
    – and to say a good tattooist doesnt get well paid — come off it -£100/ hour – that’s more than a doctor who had to go to university for 6 years of study and can hold someones life in their hands .

– and btw izzar – you say tipping is my perogative – then reckon I’m ignorant and arrogant if I dont think you deserve one ?? – I’m not saying I’d never tip – just not as a matter of course like most Americans seem to do.

– and still no answer to tipping doctors/ lawyers etc… tattooists are more important than those people are they ?
    – what about police/ fireman /paramedics etc… – I imagine you agree they do a hard days work for around $30/hour —- tattooists not well paid at $150- 200???

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Just to step in for a moment before it sets the forum alight 😉

In fairness Senior is entitled to his opinion tipping is a cultural thing and does not come as standard in the UK as maybe as much in the USA.

Certainly when I visited the states there was a larger expectation for tipping in all the service industries I used. It was no biggie – when in Rome and all that.

That said upon reading what senior put – there was a valid argument that there is no automatic principle to tip.

It is nice if ppl do but not the end of the world if they don’t.

It is merely a personal opinion not a T-bag on the craft. Of course there is always the argument about how much an artist will make.

But in fairness the artist never talks about the expenses or costs of running a professional studio – it is not cheap – there is the cost of equipment, needles, autoclave, bio-hazard waste disposal, licensing fees, water gas electric, premsies rent. All of this is before they draw a wage.

Yes a pro artist can still make good money but they became a pro by working hard at what they do and I do not look down on any person for succeeding in what they do.

My artist charges me £65 per hr (sterling) however he did not charge me the drawing time or the 6 revisions of the full backpiece to get what I wanted so there is around 30 hrs drawing time there I got for ‘free’.

This came out of the artist’s pocket – the time he spent he drawing he could have been doing tattooing so he has put a lot of work into it.

The other issue is that the tattooing industry is a luxury consumerist item. We do not need ink to live so we are willing to pay for it. The same is applied to TV’s ppl do not shout at the shop selling a TV for 3k and making 200-300% profit – it is becauise we justify it because we want it. It brings us pleasure so yes we will pay for something good.

I tip a lot of ppl if I am happy with their work. It maybe through barter or time or money but I believe goodwill makes the world turn a bit better.

As for Dr’s and Solicitors (lawyers) Police etc like myself (fraud investigator) we are not able to accept tips or gifts due to legal restrictions that state we cannot. Most ppl know this so don’t attempt to bother.

Otherwise yes I would prob drop something extra to them if they did me a good servcie.

I got nothing against Senior for been honest on how he feels because if one person feels it a lot more will. That said we don’t need to rip the shit out of each other either.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.