pidjones
    Participant
    @pidjones

At 61, I’m starting to prepare for the next chapter in my life. I have NO idea what it will be like! I’ve had a great one so far, lovely wife and children, decent career that paid well enough (and we were frugal enough) to allow us to save for a hopefully safe retirement at 65. I love to travel, but not fly (or drive for that matter), so I’ve been motorcycle touring the past 10 years and intend to extend that when the days of greater freedom come. I’m pretty conservative, so my decision a couple months ago to have my left nipple pierced, it kind of freaked the family out. Then, a couple weeks ago I told them that I wanted a tattoo of my submarine dolphins and SSBN patrol pin on my left breast. They are starting to worry about me, now! I just feel that it is an important part of my life that I should commemorate and a tattoo would be a great way to do it. I have no plans for more ink afterward except a promise that if one more family or close friend has to fight breast cancer, I’ll get a pink ribbon (lost my mom, but the wife’s cousin won her battle!)

Why wait so late in life? For one thing, I saw a tattoo being removed the old fashioned way with rock salt paste abrasion. Blood pored down the guys arm as the corpsman scrubbed his shoulder. Mid evil at best, and the chief overseeing it let the poor guy know that any cries of pain would be rewarded with more pain! Even though I had admired my grandfathers tattoos that he got in WWI (he served in both), I decided to forgo that little bit of tradition. Now, I kind of wish that I had a faded blue-green vestige of a faked line on my forearm like grandpa did. But not the Kewpi doll!

So, next Tuesday I go to Vivid Tattoo in Knoxville to have Sarah Hurst do her magic on my chest. Anticipation is a very mild word for the way I’m feeling about it! I hope the healing goes as well as my piercing, because it is perfect already. I have pretty oily skin, so I wonder if that will make it better or worse? I have to teach the following three days, but can take off the week of July 4th (no water sports this year!)

I’ll post a photo for criticism once it is finished.
    pinscolor.jpg

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Good one you, its never to late. Look forward to the pics 🙂

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

Welcome to the forum. And have fun on Tuesday.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome!

I just turned 56 when I got my first one.

Keep us posted! We like pictures!

Aiken Drum
    Participant
    @aiken-drum

Like others have said, it’s never too late to start and your reasons for getting one sound well considered and solid so you’re doing the right thing. It’s like I keep telling my sister and my 18 yr old daughter – it’s not why am I getting tattoos, it’s why not? They’re for me and I want them.

Best of luck with it, look forward to see the results.

pidjones
    Participant
    @pidjones

I’m fully prepared for critiques, both gentle and brutal, but I’m VERY pleased! So little pain (hard to call it pain, really). It is 4″ (~10cm) wide, and yet the detail impresses me (including a subtle drop-shadow).
    Newlyinked640.jpg

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Looks good for how tiny it is.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Nice start.

Look good.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Sorry to be the realist here, it’s bad. Inconsistent lineweight, shaky lines, the stars….

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@jerryatrophy 140560 wrote:

Sorry to be the realist here, it’s bad. Inconsistent lineweight, shaky lines, the stars….

I thought it was supposed to look like that.

I see what you’re referring to in the line weight.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

And I’m the asshole around here 😉

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

Inconsistent lineweight, shaky lines, the stars….

That was what I was thinking, too. Those stars …

pidjones
    Participant
    @pidjones

Thanks for the comments, both + and -. I had not noticed the line weight issue (hard to see from above or in a mirror, but evident in the photo). It is giving no grief at all in healing so far. Nor is the pierced nipple below it that she did a couple months ago. Are the lines and stars worth a touch-up some day? Will it bleed out eventually and not be noticed? At 61, I really DGAS what others think, but appreciate your input as enthusiasts. Would I have her do another? Depends on what her art looked like for my next idea – a simple couple fakes of line on my right forearm. Maybe 2-3 hours work. One color (I’d like it to resemble old faded ink).

I go for things that mean a lot to me. My grandpa had tattoos from WWI, and the ones I remember were a cupie doll (no chance of me getting that) and a faked line. Now, I appreciate and admire some of the full back pieces and sleeves. And even the walking dead, skulls and other gore I appreciate for the art in them. Just not for me.

pidjones
    Participant
    @pidjones

Just a quick update. Going in today for a touch-up of the drop-shadow under the patrol pin and the bow on the patrol pin where the very thin line has faded to no line. I’ll not ask for work on the stars unless she asks about it, because they are no more than about 2mm across, and I can’t really expect much improvement in such a small spot. I put that on myself for asking for such a small figure, but I wanted to keep it close to regulation.

pidjones
    Participant
    @pidjones

I have to admit it stung a bit more than the first time. She really went over it well and it looked even bolder in the shop mirror than the first time. The bandage still has 15 minutes before it comes off and I wash it. I’ll take a photo after it dries and before I put her after-care on.

And… the result::)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.