peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@dhurley40 130799 wrote:

I appreciate the help / input!
    Do you think his Japanese work leans more towards “steaming dog shit”..I rather not get that on my body lol
    Should I be looking at a different artist to do my Japanese tradition tattoo? We all know this is a life time decision and I want to get the best possible tattoo. I dig his work and I havnt found many other artist in my area that I feel capture the traditional Japanese dragon. If any one has suggestions of artist in the Eastern PA/NJ/NY area that would be great!
    I wanna stay out of NYC if possible since prices are inflated IMO

take a look in my signature link, cant go wrong with any of them ๐Ÿ™‚

dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

that is an awesome list!!
    I am looking forward to working with this Rich and will get you all an update after our consultation ๐Ÿ™‚
    Still not sure about location due to my other tattoo locations

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I’m currently looking into New york artists myself, as I’ll be going there for a few days in September. As far as I’ve been able to gather so far, Tattoo Culture, Saved Tattoo, Last Rites, and Tribulation Tattoo are my first choices. Tattoo Culture says 150-200$ an hour. Doesn’t sound overpriced to me at all?
    However, I’m coming in from a different country, where hardly anyone will work for less than 250$ an hour.. The best will be way more.
    So I’m expecting to pay 3-350$ in New York for an amazing artist, and I’m totally cool with that. I’ll still bring my artist a present :p

That being said; It’s okay to ask about price!! Just say that you just need to make sure you have enough with you, and you should get an estimate. It’s okay ๐Ÿ™‚ You won’t do 7-8 hours in one sitting anyways. Most shops, even if they don’t have hourly rates etc, will have a basic idea of what they usually charge for a full session.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@poxphobia 130824 wrote:

That being said; It’s okay to ask about price!! Just say that you just need to make sure you have enough with you, and you should get an estimate. It’s okay ๐Ÿ™‚ You won’t do 7-8 hours in one sitting anyways. Most shops, even if they don’t have hourly rates etc, will have a basic idea of what they usually charge for a full session.

“Usually” won’t be that long of a sitting, but there are are exceptions. My last appt was at a convention, and it was my first “convention” tattoo so I really didn’t know what to expect. I went in expecting about a 3-4 hour tattoo, and had asked the preferred method of payment and advised them that I could bring cash (US dollars since the artist was international). Later, after all my emails back and forth with his assistant, I realized that I had never even asked what he charges. Oops.

After he applied the stencil and finished drawing on my forearm I knew it was going to be WAY longer than that. At that point I looked at him and said that before we started I better make sure that I had brought enough cash, and asked what he was going to charge me. He gave me a number, and we went for it. I had brought plenty, just in case, and even after the tip I got to take a few hundred back home. The sitting was 8 hours.

Also, when someone asks what my tattoos cost from the higher end artists I am very hesitant to answer. I only know what I was charged, I don’t know what they will charge you. I will tell someone who asks what my local artist charged the last time I was there, but advise them that it may have gone up. Because it might have, or she may want to charge them more for some reason. I would never want them to try to ‘bargain’ and say to my artist that I had said that it would ONLY be xxx $ per hour.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Good point! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve done 10 hours myself, so it can def be different! Conventions are a thing of their own too, because often you will want to finish, you can’t as easily just come back later and pussy out.
    If it’s a local artist I think it’s easier to just say “Alright, enough. I can walk around with this for a month”

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@poxphobia 130824 wrote:

I’m currently looking into New york artists myself, as I’ll be going there for a few days in September. As far as I’ve been able to gather so far, Tattoo Culture, Saved Tattoo, Last Rites, and Tribulation Tattoo are my first choices. Tattoo Culture says 150-200$ an hour. Doesn’t sound overpriced to me at all?
    However, I’m coming in from a different country, where hardly anyone will work for less than 250$ an hour.. The best will be way more.
    So I’m expecting to pay 3-350$ in New York for an amazing artist, and I’m totally cool with that. I’ll still bring my artist a present :p

what style are you looking for?

dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

So I am locked in on the artist for my Dragon tattoo but I am looking to get a kraken on my right leg wrapping around my sons initials which is already tattoo’d on my leg.

what do you guys think of this place…any artist look good or should i keep looking?
    Home Page

dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

Had my consultation yesterday. Rich seems almost as hyped as I do about the tattoo. I am scheduled for Oct. 2nd, 7th, 15th, 22nd.
    Each session will be 3 hours of course he said it might not take 12 hours. I have never sat for longer then 1.5 hours so this will be interesting lol
    Going with a Japanese Dragon holding a pearl of wisdom with air/maple leaf backgrounds.

I will keep you guys posted once Oct finally gets here lol

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

@yodaddynukka 130843 wrote:

what style are you looking for?

Considering the fact that I have a ridiculous amount of ideas, I’m not really looking into ONE style. Everything but japanese and realistic, really. Been hoping for Tim Kern, and right now I’m on the “I’ll call you if anything opens up”-list. So anyone amazing, most likely color, new traditional and old school I suppose ๐Ÿ™‚

Adler
    Participant
    @adler

I’m from CT and I’m pretty familiar with tri-state artists and rates. Rich Cahill is known as a solid artist, he used to be at Electric which has great American traditional artists. If I can be of any help just ask. NY is obviously stacked with shops and artists with the normal going rate $200/hr and a few elite artists around the 400/hr rate.

dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

thanks for the offer PM sent!

What can I expect from doing a longer sitting (3 hours). Like I said the longest I sat for a tattoo on the inner bicep took about 1.25 hours…I also get very “flushed” in the face when I get tattoo’d anything I can do to “cool” down?

thanks guys–Oct can not come fast enough!!

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Make sure you get a good nights sleep and that you have a decent meal before going in. Bring with you a soda, some candy, something to keep your blood pressure up ๐Ÿ™‚
    A lot of people actually get cold during longer sittings, I do as well. Might be because I live in winter wonderland though. But I know a small dose of painkillers can help with that, just make sure it’s a brand that doesn’t thin out your blood.

3 hours isn’t a very long sitting, you should be totally fine ๐Ÿ™‚ Just have some food in you and bring some snack with you, and keep hydrated ๐Ÿ™‚

Adler
    Participant
    @adler

@poxphobia 131113 wrote:

Make sure you get a good nights sleep and that you have a decent meal before going in. Bring with you a soda, some candy, something to keep your blood pressure up ๐Ÿ™‚
    A lot of people actually get cold during longer sittings, I do as well. Might be because I live in winter wonderland though. But I know a small dose of painkillers can help with that, just make sure it’s a brand that doesn’t thin out your blood.

3 hours isn’t a very long sitting, you should be totally fine ๐Ÿ™‚ Just have some food in you and bring some snack with you, and keep hydrated ๐Ÿ™‚

That basically says it all. And make sure you have your aftercare products ahead of time so you’re not worrying about buying stuff last minute. It also helps to plan accordingly with healing the tattoo by making sure your schedule doesn’t include things like water or sun right afterwards.

dhurley40
    Participant
    @dhurley40

Awesome thanks so much for the info.. I get beet red and hot when I get worked on lol no issues with getting cold. But I will def make sure I keep my sugar regulated.
    I am looking forward to the longer sittings ๐Ÿ™‚
    The reason Oct will work for me because no beach time in NJ so no plans on water or sun.

What do you guys recommend for “aftercare” so I can load up on them before Oct seems every shop recommends different products.

Thanks guys for all the help!

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@dhurley40 131118 wrote:

What do you guys recommend for “aftercare” so I can load up on them before Oct seems every shop recommends different products.

Thanks guys for all the help!

I use the “dry Wrap” method. Get your tattoo done with a non-petroleum based lubricant. I use redemption, but there are others. When the tattoo is finished it gets wrapped in plastic wrap. Then you remove the wrap every four hours or so, wash the tattoo with fragrance free soap. Dry and wrap with fresh plastic wrap. do this for a couple of days. Then use a fragrance free moisturizer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.