Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

Other options are Vamp body art, Burnin Hell tattoos, Tattoo masterz.

I’m so confused! I’m sorry if I seem like an idiot – Thank you all for your help so far.

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

PROGRESSION TATTOO

Found the above shop with a quick Google search, its in Adelaide. Not bad.

Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

Thanks Amok,

I have sent them an enquiry – I hadn’t seen them before.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

Look at tattoo pictures. Lots and lots of them. Look at the lines, are they clean and even or does the line weight change. Are they straight or wiggly? Look at lots of good and bad tattoos and you will get better at spotting both kinds. Then there’s the shading, is it smooth? Does the piece look flat and lifeless or does it “pop”?

It takes a while, but you can “train your eye”. I still have a long way to go myself. But I only have one skin, so if an artist’s work doesn’t blow me away then I don’t have any skin (or money) for them. Like jerryatrophy said, they should make your jaw drop. I learned this AFTER I got a few tattoos, of course.

Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

So, it seems that I may have a problem getting a good artist to do smaller work 🙁 At least that is the response I’ve gotten from one of the places I contacted.

I can understand why more in demand artists don’t want to do smaller pieces, but at the same time, I’m not going to trust someone to do a big piece until they can do a satisfactory smaller piece.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@Asrais 135323 wrote:

So, it seems that I may have a problem getting a good artist to do smaller work 🙁 At least that is the response I’ve gotten from one of the places I contacted.

I can understand why more in demand artists don’t want to do smaller pieces, but at the same time, I’m not going to trust someone to do a big piece until they can do a satisfactory smaller piece.

Your method has landed you some problems. Revise your definition of small from 3 cm to about 14 cm. Trust people with good tattoos, and trust impressive portfolios.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Take a look at my signature link below, it will open your eyes to what top notch artists are doing now. There are quite a few in Australia on the pages 🙂

2000km lol I do around 7000km every 6 months by car to get tattoos 🙂

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@Asrais 135294 wrote:

A bit far from me (2000 km)

I don’t know if that is an hour drive or a 2 day drive.

I’m American and was not taught the metric system nor anything about Australia except it is an island that England sent all it’s criminals.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@buttwheat 135341 wrote:

I’m American ans was not taught the metric system nor anything about Australia except it is an island that England sent all it’s criminals.

Lol

Well it’s quite far, like from the UK to Poland:)

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@buttwheat 135341 wrote:

I’m American and was not taught the metric system nor anything about Australia except it is an island that England sent all it’s criminals.

A little over 900 miles.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@Asrais 135323 wrote:

Step one is finding a good artist. Step two is getting the tattoo. You don’t take a tattoo artist for a test drive. And if you don’t know how to judge an artist by their portfolio then how can you judge their work by a tiny tattoo on yourself?

I have a suggestion. If you contact a good artist who isn’t interested in doing work as small as your piece then ask if they can recommend someone else. Then look at that artist’s portfolio. They might be able to steer you to someone.

Keep looking until you find someone really good.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

Australia has some of my fav artists! Laukis being one of them. And top artists have already done small work while they were coming up. So your logic of not trusting an artist until u see them do small work won’t apply to top artists.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Matthew Bumer Joyce, South Australia – https://www.facebook.com/bumerr/media_set?set=a.10151649237163989.617557.681478988&type=3

There is a shit ton of artists in Melbourne, how far to Melbourne?

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

BTW, Asrais, I applaud anyone with the mental toughness to stick around and learn, rather than getting frustrated and lashing out. It shows a lot of people previous to you can’t dish out.

Asrais
    Participant
    @asrais

I think that pretty much anything I want at the moment would be regarded as a small tattoo – I didn’t mean to sound like I wanted to take an artist for a test drive, but it’s frustrating, to go into a shop and not be taken seriously because what you want is a smaller piece – which is what I now feel happened with my last one – they gave me the impression that they were confident that there apprentice could do the piece I wanted and because it was a reputable place, I thought it would be good to give the apprentice a shot – I trusted them and obviously that was stupid of me.

Melbourne is about a 10 hour drive – which is not out of the question in the future, but at the moment my car wouldn’t make it.

I have had a look at Matthew Bumer Joyce, his work looks good and he also has a few smaller tats on his facebook page, so that gives me hope.

@GrayCatLove
    – there’s only one thing I hate worse than doing something stupid, and that’s doing the same stupid thing over again – seems here is as good a place as any to learn.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.