Clandest
Participant
@clandest
mrchen;102698 wrote:
you guys looking at the same line work and details I am in the second pic?
if so, I’ll leave this one alone……or simply say, it needs work

Sorry, I am a little confused by this. I would like to get feedback and hear your thoughts on it so that I could possibly help me improve anything that needs improving.

Thanks for the reply.

Funk
Participant
@funk

I believe he’s saying that a lot of the lines look fucking brutal and uneven. After looking back, I’m kinda inclined to agree with him. I guess it’s not extremely obvious unless it’s really close up.

And like buttwheat said, that orange could be toned down a bit. Maybe with some blue, purple, or greys.

Clandest
Participant
@clandest
Funk;102712 wrote:
I believe he’s saying that a lot of the lines look fucking brutal and uneven. After looking back, I’m kinda inclined to agree with him. I guess it’s not extremely obvious unless it’s really close up.

And like buttwheat said, that orange could be toned down a bit. Maybe with some blue, purple, or greys.

yea, its defiantly not perfect, but hopefully there is a enough stuff going on in the tattoo to not just focus on the ships lines so I am not to worried about it to much. And I can’t hold it against my artist, it was a mess with all those lines and ink.

This was the outline
31354010150309789076674.jpg

Funk
Participant
@funk

Yeah there are quite a few rough lines, but It shouldn’t be too terribly noticeable. When’s your next session?

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200
Adler;102632 wrote:
I’m going to take a different opinion in some ways. I like the ship (although I hope all those tiny lines hold up) and I really like the shading and detail with the waves. On the other hand I think the clouds could have been done better, especially comparing to the work on the waves. Also, I don’t really like the entire orange background, it’s too much for me. I think I would have liked to see some other tones within the sky to add some contrast and break up the solid orange.
Not sure what you can add to it except maybe some birds (but might blend with the clouds) or a sea creature in the water or exploding cannons or something…

Agreed, my first thought was the clouds, they look kind of harsh and slug like, there’s nothing floaty and cloudlike about them so i would maybe try to soften the edges? and yes the orange is a bit ott but once you mix in some other colours and tone it out i think it could look great, i love ship tattoos when they’re done well (i actually think they look great in black and grey!) i assume when you say you’re gonna get some work done on the ship you’re planning to colour it in with various shades of brown/grey etc? i think it will look great when its finished ๐Ÿ™‚

Amok
Participant
@amok

I really like the photo you just posted, before the background.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I have to say, I REALLY don’t like how this thing has turned out.

To me, it looks like two completely different pieces, slapped together without thinking. On the one hand you have a seriously detailed ship, of a design that can only look good done in very subtle B/G shading, and on the other hand you have extremely rough, extremely bold, almost childishly simple waves and clouds, rendered way too dark to create a good contrast in the piece. The only way to match the ship to the waves and clouds is to make it more or less entirely solid-color, doing away with all the details.

It feels like the artist attempted to make a piece that was FAR out of his range of skills and then just decided: “fuck that… I’ll just remove all the details from it and make it simpler”

Clandest
Participant
@clandest

Hey again, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it all. When I go in next I am defaintly going to have him tie it all together to make it look like one piece. It does look like 3 sperate pieces, but it is also far from complete. I am guessing like I said before about 2-3 more sessions. And for the style of water and clouds this was what I went in with for what I wanted.

61uvNFYkfXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

that reference point would have been way more helpful at the beginning of the post lol i can see now where the tattoo has come from and so in that respect your artist has done exactly as asked it is just a shame that a lot of the colour etc in the picture you took them is quite harsh but im sure they will be able to soften it for you and make any tweaks you need ๐Ÿ™‚

American Infidel
Participant
@american-infidel

yea once you add color to the ship. hopefully a full coloring it and not just a little shading, it will look rad. only thing thats missing is that color! get it!! ๐Ÿ˜€ look sweet though!!:)

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.