kingpin1991
Participant
@kingpin1991

I have been thinking lately about getting a tattoo. I have always said that if i get one it had to have meaning and not just like a picture of an animal (no offense); but if im going to put something on my skin that will be their forever it has to mean something to me. I want to get a lyric from my favorite band as a quote to live by and for my great grandmother who died when i was younger. The lyric is “I’m not afraid, at least not to die, im afraid to live and not remember why.” I would want it in cursive somewhere on my arm. I would really like to get it on my forearm but not completely sure because i am going to school to work in the medical field and it may be seen as “unprofessional.” for those of you that have forearm tats; is it annoying to hide, do you wish you had gotten it somewhere else? Overall i would just like to know what you all think.
Thanks.

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg

Hiding it depends on wether or not you can wear long sleeves. If you can and it doesn’t bother you not wearing short sleeves when you want to look professional then you’re good to go. I’m not sure about the text, from what I’ve read on these forums text needs to be fairly large. Personally I see it on a banner on your upper arm or back with a black and gray rendering of a man or perhaps woman to symbolize your grandmother looking off into the sunset. But then again I’m addicted to ink and am constantly trying to figure our new ways to expand most tattoos that I see including my own. At any rate I love the quote.

Tecratt
Participant
@tecratt

I would NOT suggest getting your first tattoo somewhere visible. People WILL look at you differently if you have visible ink, even if it is well done. You will be viewed as less professional. You have to consider that you will be working with the public. And yes, if you had to keep it covered at all times, it would get annoying and nobody would be able to see it so you might as well get it on your upper arm, back, or chest anyway if that is the case.

With that being said, I love my visible ink. I have no regrets getting it, and plan to have sleeves eventually. I will not, however have anything on my hands or neck so that I can cover it up when I want to for formal occasions and such. I also do not have to work with the public so keeping it covered on a day to day basis is not an issue for me.

ETA: Also, you don’t know how you are going to feel about having a tattoo. I have loved having ink since I got my first one but not everybody feels that way after getting work done. Some people think that they want a tat and after getting one immediately start regretting it. It’s not for everybody. If you get a tattoo and then decide that it was a bad idea for you, you are just going to hate it even more if you have to see it all day every day.

kingpin1991
Participant
@kingpin1991

thanks for the input guys. Im gonna have to do a lot of thinking about it. Perhaps my upper arm is a better place to get it, or maybe the back of my leg? cause i doubt i will be wearing shorts in any professional environment. I’m not gonna rush into it, thanks for your input, look forward to hearing more =)

SRC
Participant
@src

i think the quote is a good one but keep in mind that your favorite band now may not always be your favorite band. but regardless, i think that text tattoos can be pretty classic and timeless tattoos. personally i think you should avoid going for a font straight off the computer, though. my first tattoo was the words “stubborn rebel” and the guys in the tattoo shop kept trying to steer me towards the computer to pick out a font, until i emphasized that i wanted something more handwritten and kind of drew out what i wanted. then my artist handwrote something in cursive with embellishments for me, and it still looks great and not like someone stuck my arm in a printer!

kingpin1991
Participant
@kingpin1991

Thanks, SRC, i will definitely keep the font in mind. As for the fact that my favorite band may change in the future, i cant really say…but i know that i will love the quote forever…i have listened to that song countless times and that line still sends chills down my spine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.