chucky
    Participant
    @chucky

i have to agree. 16 is way to young. Of course I wanted one when I was 16 but when you really sit down and think about it you should come to the conclusion that it would be a major mistake. Im 21 now and only just got my first tattoos recently. Even then I can only get them on certain places because I would never get a job in the industry I want. Im finishing my degree in Business and I dont think I would ever get hired if I got the tattoos i would really like in the places i really want. Im also into piercings and have my ear streched but that can be taken out. Tattoos cant.
    There is a reason why people under 16 aren’t supposed to get tattoos, its not just sme rule ta ruin the fun. Its because they cant make decisions concerning their future. My brother got a tattoo when he was 16 and regrets it to this day..
    But hey, that just my opinion, each to their own

chucky

Jarhead0331
    Participant
    @jarhead0331

This has turned into quite an interesting thread. There are a couple of issues here that are interesting. The first one being age. The second one being the phenomenon of Jews getting inked in Israel. My mother, a German Jew and Holocaust survivor, raised me to never get tattoos. According to her, it was against the Jewish religion. Unfortunately for her, I was raised in Texas and joined the Marine Corps making me quite the “non-traditional” Jewish boy. So not being religious, I began getting inked. However, not until much later in life. I thought about what I wanted on my body for years before actually doing it. I have to wonder, at 16 and 17, where the hell are your parents? What role did they play, if any, in your decision to get inked? As parents, part of the job is to steer children in the right direction until they are independent and capable of making the right, wise decisions.

So anyway, I find myself agreeing with Knighthawk. At 16, you’re still in the sandbox, and you can’t fathom that there will be a time when you want to leave the box and no longer play in the sand. Its not just your body that is going to grow, its your mind and soul as well. 10 years from now, there is a chance that you may look in the mirror and say, “What the F@ck was I thinking?” This is a possibility that probably seems totally foreign to you, but I guess we’ll just have to wait 10 years to find out how it all turns out.

The other issue, Jews and tattoos…my wife is Israeli and her and her cousins are all inked. These are beautiful Israeli women with substantial exposed tattoos. What is going on in Israel that apparently has turned tattooing into a very common and acceptable form of self-expression? When did this start to happen? My mother, although not happy about her inked son, has found scholarly articles written by respected Rabbi who acknowledge that there is nothing wrong with body art and that it is not against the laws of Judiasm. This has given her some peace of mind, but I’m still surprised that it appears to be so commonplace in the “Holy land”. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

As a general matter, tattooing has become much less taboo here in the States. Everywhere I go, I see people with ink. This is good…and bad…for me, tattooing is spiritual. Its a committment and each one of my pieces has significance. Its as if they tell a story of my life. So many people these days get inked because its “cool”…I’m glad the process is painful…sometimes I wish it was more painful. This keeps the less committed away, and helps keep it a little sacred. At least for some of us.

S/F

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    NTshaw;39293 wrote:
    wow, this is as biased as it gets..

i generally don’t speak to assholes, so i’ll keep this short.

point one – i love my tattoos. i will continue to love my tattoos. i am already involved in a self-based career that allows tattoos (and i plan on continuing this path)

point two – take a look at my albums. i sure as hell aint seeing choppers.

why can’t we just get along and respect each other for their ink without the profiling?

Dude, seriously, I’ve waited this long to reply because frankly it seems like you didn’t even read my post. At what point did I talk about you specifically? I spoke in generalities because that’s the subject–should a 16 or 17 year old get inked?

I don’t believe they should, for the reasons I listed. Hell, go reread my original post–I told what’s his cunt, the guy who made this thread, that his tattoo was pretty good. I don’t say that often. Truth to be told, I’ve gotten in trouble with the mods on more than one occasion for telling people their ink sucks my left nut.

There’s always exceptions, always people who are more mature, or just plain lucky, who may end up with something they love at 16.

But 99.9% of the time, a sixteen year old is getting a shitty piece done by a scratcher in some basement. That ain’t an opinion, that’s just how it is. My wife’s father is covered in tattoos he got in between ten and nineteen, all from the same scratcher, and they all, twenty years later, are either blobs of greenish ink, or just plain crap. I know more than a few people who’ve gotten ink from scratchers before they were old enough to go to a legitimate artist….and by far and away, they regretted it.

My point is, just because you lucked out and it worked out for YOU doesn’t invalidate the rule. It just means you were either luckier, or just smarter, than you average 16 year old.

And, by the way, nice job calling me an asshole then doing nothing to address the issues I raised. It’s nice you’re in a career that allows tattoos–how many 16 years olds can say the same and know with a reasonable amount of security that they’re going to be there the rest of their lives? I can’t stress this enough–just because YOU’RE squared away means about dick. You’re the exception, not the rule.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Jarhead

I have been following the trend with interest as I visit Israel quite frequently and was quite suprised at the increase of ‘open tattooing’ from the 90’s to present.

It has always existed but tended to be an underground thing and was very much considered the ‘western curse’.

That said as you know the Hasidim (all sects) will not tolerate the issue of tattooing or piercings (even ears) based on

Leviticus 19:28 : “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.” Many people take this to refer to piercings (“cuttings in your flesh”) and tattoos (“print any marks upon you”)

I think it started with the argument that if a Jew died (especially if killed whilst in the IDF) would they be given a Jewish burial? There was a couple of cases where this was challenged and a notable scholar and Rabbi Jeffrey Wolfson Goldwasser pointed out that a Jew can be buried with tattoos in an orthodox cemetary as long as they repent their sins before G-d.

Then there was the large influx of Saphardic and Russian Jews many of whom have tattoos all though many draw the line at having tattoos that could be considered iconic or in memory of the dead.

One of the main arguments was that it wa not the tattoo itself that was offensive to G-d but the ritual practice that was often associated with early scarification or tattooing. This was often alongside pagan or spirit worship.

With modern day tattooing techniques this often removes this base and many ‘modern Jews’ will argue it is not that long ago that women were allowed to get their ears pierced and still be considered modest. So tattooing is a step further along this line.

Many of the more reformed Rabbis have realised that in order for Israel to continue to exist in these times that many of the older traditions have to be reconsidered and more flexibility given to keep the younger Israelis from emigrating to the USA and the rest of the world.

I also think that many Jews who do have tattoos (including myself) wanted to show the world that even when others try to use a negative practice (tattooing numbers on ppl) it can be shown to be a thing of beauty and defiance.

Personally I love nothing better than sticking my Lion Of Judah in some Neo-Nazi’s face and laughing at their shit and tacky swastikas and saying ‘hey dickhead – this is a real tattoo and gues what a Jew is wearing it!’ ๐Ÿ˜€

All of that said tattooing is still in the very minor percentage of the israeli population. i reckon it will in 20-30 years become more accessible and open.

Also as a side note –

KH looking at the number of times you have told ppl their ink sucks I am suprised you have a left nut left to suck on. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Take Care
    Matthew

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

That is the awe and glory of my left nut Matthew man–you may suck and suck and suck, and yet there is always more left to suck.

Otherwise…that shit was facinating man. I swear to Christ you have a PHD in tattoos.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

Just wondering, what are dermal inkers?

Four29
    Participant
    @four29

You know, I agree with KnightHawk, not the tattoo I would’ve chosen at 16…the funny thing is that in Hawaii, it’s part of the culture, like a right of passage, where teens start getting polynesian sleeves around that age. I think since tattoos have hit the mainstream, the youth are turning it into a fad, but if you were to walk around the high schools, you’ll see a ton of kids sleeved up here. Culturally, I don’t mind the polynesian tattoos, but it drives me nuts to see kids with something like that, or just random shit that they’ll be covering up as they get older. No offense, but the only thing semi-worth showing is probably the skull…the snakes, however…wow…not the best I’ve seen. Sorry mate!

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Joker1;39605 wrote:
    Just wondering, what are dermal inkers?

Apparentally, I got the name wrong. The things are actually called dermal anchors, but since my sister, who introduced me to them a year ago when she got hers, has picked up a stupid fucking accent out there in west butt fuck Wisconsin, I misunderstood what she was saying.

Basically, they’re a kind of piercing that they punch a hole in you, slip it in, and let your skin grow up over the anchor. The heads can be changed, but the anchors are there forever.

My sister is a fashion designer who works in corsets mostly, and is getting a row of them down the front of her like the eye holes for the string in corsets.

2102983759_4c0b590bb9.jpg

Not my sister, but still dermal anchors.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

Oh yeah, i’ve seen those in a few tattoo magazines i’ve got. I’ve pictures of people with piercings like that in their fingers and toes and stuff.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

The places you can get pierced like that are freaky. I love’em. When I graduate from art school, I’m planning on getting three on an upward facing arc under my left eye.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

I’d hate to think what would happen if you had that done and someone decided to punch you in the eye!

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Frankly, I’d be more worried about what my wife would do to me if I came home with my pretty face all tore up. “Thou shalt not fight” is pretty high on the list of “Shit KnightHawk is not allowed to do anymore if he wants to stay married”.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

Headbutting people’s noses in NYC’s bars is an exception though? ๐Ÿ™‚

Jarhead0331
    Participant
    @jarhead0331
    Sherav;39563 wrote:
    Hi Jarhead

I have been following the trend with interest as I visit Israel quite frequently and was quite suprised at the increase of ‘open tattooing’ from the 90’s to present.

It has always existed but tended to be an underground thing and was very much considered the ‘western curse’.

That said as you know the Hasidim (all sects) will not tolerate the issue of tattooing or piercings (even ears) based on

Leviticus 19:28 : “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.” Many people take this to refer to piercings (“cuttings in your flesh”) and tattoos (“print any marks upon you”)

I think it started with the argument that if a Jew died (especially if killed whilst in the IDF) would they be given a Jewish burial? There was a couple of cases where this was challenged and a notable scholar and Rabbi Jeffrey Wolfson Goldwasser pointed out that a Jew can be buried with tattoos in an orthodox cemetary as long as they repent their sins before G-d.

Then there was the large influx of Saphardic and Russian Jews many of whom have tattoos all though many draw the line at having tattoos that could be considered iconic or in memory of the dead.

One of the main arguments was that it wa not the tattoo itself that was offensive to G-d but the ritual practice that was often associated with early scarification or tattooing. This was often alongside pagan or spirit worship.

With modern day tattooing techniques this often removes this base and many ‘modern Jews’ will argue it is not that long ago that women were allowed to get their ears pierced and still be considered modest. So tattooing is a step further along this line.

Many of the more reformed Rabbis have realised that in order for Israel to continue to exist in these times that many of the older traditions have to be reconsidered and more flexibility given to keep the younger Israelis from emigrating to the USA and the rest of the world.

I also think that many Jews who do have tattoos (including myself) wanted to show the world that even when others try to use a negative practice (tattooing numbers on ppl) it can be shown to be a thing of beauty and defiance.

Personally I love nothing better than sticking my Lion Of Judah in some Neo-Nazi’s face and laughing at their shit and tacky swastikas and saying ‘hey dickhead – this is a real tattoo and gues what a Jew is wearing it!’ ๐Ÿ˜€

All of that said tattooing is still in the very minor percentage of the israeli population. i reckon it will in 20-30 years become more accessible and open.

Thanks for your feedback…very interesting stuff.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Joker1;39685 wrote:
    Headbutting people’s noses in NYC’s bars is an exception though? ๐Ÿ™‚

I have no idea what you are talking about, good sir. Perhaps you’re confusing me with the OTHER Matthew on the forum. No worries. Due to our similar names and passion for the fine and gentlemanly art of tattooing, people are often mistaking me for that uncouth, British soccer hooligan. Though his shaved head, the beer staining his shirt, and the fact that his parents may or may not be first cousins should make it easy enough to tell us apart.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.