poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I almost don’t want to answer this just because of your last line, which is so sexist and degrading that I just wanna bash my head at the table. But here goes.

A lot of people on here trust their artist, because they pick the very best. They pick an artist based on their ART. Not some bad artist who does bad work, but an amazing one. Someone you can actually trust. I’ve had several of my tattoos made like this; I contact the artist, say I love their style and I want say.. “A weird octopus” and say have fun. As a result, I have some pretty amazing tattoos. This comes from choosing my artists wisely. Seeing what they can and cannot do, what they have done before, compare to what I want. And I ALWAYS see a stencil first. Even if they freehand it, they draw on you first. If you want a fucking infinity symbol, you’re obviously not going to some of the worlds best artists, because I’ve never seen anyone of those make those.

If you end up with a tattoo you regret, YOU are the one to blame. Seriously, a cute dragon on your boob? That’s gonna be a fierce creature in a couple years anyways. And not checking the grammar and spelling of your text tattoo… That’s really all on him. And if you don’t know your artist and their art, you need to communicate with them, see what they’ve done before, do your research. If you don’t do these things, you can only blame yourself. I only go to artists who I’d trust to do whatever they want, because I’m seeing an artist, not a machine. And honestly both infinity symbols and feathers are such used up images, both done so horrible bad, most people on this forum would advise against them because they’re 99% of the time, shit tattoos.

And just to end this; This is a discussion forum. People have different opinions, people exchange experiences, opinions etc in a mostly friendly manner and everyone gets along pretty well. Coming in with a wall of text, demanding that you’re right… Not a very solid way of communicating, in my opinion.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@MaCheenIt 139115 wrote:

Guy did an OUTSTANDING intricate old english font. Only problem, first letter was LOWER CASE.

Not the artist’s fault! He accidentally hit the ‘caps lock” key. I do it all the time.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I think when most of us are talking about giving “free rein” to an artist, it is an artist that is either spectacularly well known, or an artist with which you’ve enjoyed a long term working relationship.

First time customer? No way.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@MaCheenIt 139115 wrote:

That is some wonderful trust, and you probably aren’t picky about what is put under your skin.

Wrong I am very picky about who tattoos me, That is why I do my research on the tattooists that I choose.
    Take a peek at my tattoo pics none of them did I give the artist a drawing just the idea.

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

MaCheenIt, I’d love to see some of your tattoos. Most new members post them but you haven’t yet. C’mon!

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

What are you babbling about again? .____.
    Noone is saying stay blindfolded the entire time. The level of talent that were referring to is astounding.
    You don’t pay someone $1500 for a day and then try to shoehorn them into your “folder of reference material”
    If you don’t trust your artist , by all means tells them EXACTLY what you want and also tell them how to do their job while you’re at it.
    I’m sure you will get exactly what you want. Sub par art from a sub par artist.

And now that this thread had been repeatedly jacked……

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Can only voice what the others have said!

The only reason anyone gets a shit tattoo or mediocre one is not researching themselves properly. I trust all my regular artists 1000% and I let them do what they want. They may take just a general theme from me but they generally have total artistic freedom by me. Check out any of our tattoos in gallery and you will see that your opinion just screams out that you do not really have a clue yourself about real artists in the industry. Your post came across as aimined at your average joe who will go to a ‘highly recommended’ artist as per say by a friends mums, dog, whos aunty went there once with her nephew who got a feather and some shit cheesy text under it.

This is so far from the case when people actually care about the artwork being put on their body instead of wanting a the cheapest tattoo from an artist who lives next door.

Research, travel, don’t limit yourself by being lazy and wanting a tattoo just because its close by.

Check out my signature link below to see what real artists are doing. All these are available to anyone with enough dedication.

MaCheenIt
    Participant
    @macheenit

@jerryatrophy 139128 wrote:

What are you babbling about again? .____.
    Noone is saying stay blindfolded the entire time. The level of talent that were referring to is astounding.
    You don’t pay someone $1500 for a day and then try to shoehorn them into your “folder of reference material”
    If you don’t trust your artist , by all means tells them EXACTLY what you want and also tell them how to do their job while you’re at it.
    I’m sure you will get exactly what you want. Sub par art from a sub par artist.

And now that this thread had been repeatedly jacked……

I get it. As far as the long time, well inked members, I DO get it, there is a level. Senior members have been in this for a long time, they have developed a level of understanding, those of you who are dedicated to the ink personally know ultra high level artists, fucking gurus, MASTERS of art and ink in skin. Tattoos that are undeniably true body art, and it is a whole different world from where this thread began. Do not think that I don’t get it.

A girl wanted peoples opinion on two small tattoos. Not the best tattoos ever done by ANY stretch of the imagination. Not really scratch either. I personally viewed them as poorly executed, they ARE obviously the work of someone who is amateur. I simply said so, and I also gave her the same advice I would give anyone who just wants a couple tattoos. The tattoos she has can be fixed, IF she chooses, and the obvious fact the tattoos provided, lends me the understanding she isn’t connected to any part of the higher level tattoo world.

The ONLY reason I advise her looking into, or working with an artist is: personally, what I have witnessed; talking about yokles who want a tattoo, for whatever reason, but aren’t “living the ink” they don’t know any artists, they don’t know anyone who does, they aren’t holding 3K for the real McCoy.
    The other reason goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, HERE in O.C. there has been a FLOOD of parlors. The main drag of ANY O.C. city has an average of 4 shops within a half mile, I can reach the door of no less than 8 shops from my driveway in under 15 min.s and it is more or less the same across the states. you don’t have 4-5 T.V. reality programs about tattoos/artists if there is no interest.

The proliferation of shops has exploded. If you have a machine and a buzzbox, $500.00 a month for a hole in the wall you can open a tattoo parlor. They are pumping out tramp stamps, thug/gangsta’, TRIBAL TATS. It is an industry, and Jerryatrophy, Buttwheat, probably shake their heads along with dozens of those who have spent years becoming woven into the upper echelon of the ink. With GOOD REASON, the head shaking turns angry at times. A lot of crappy tattoos for ALL the wrong reasons. That perpetuates the tattoo stigma stereotype. It keeps tattoos from becoming respectable by society at large, tattoos are found on “badboys and tramps” being the stereotype, instantly generating a certain view about someone.

A great many tattoos are a passive aggressive lashing out, worst of all are those who get a tribal or tramp stamp without even having the desire to know where they originated and how or why. “Pamela Anderson has one!” Dear God. “Check the tribal dude, fuckin wicked or what?” PUHleeze.

FUCK YEAH! I GET IT!

I am not sure about the “feather/infinite 8s” darling, she obviously wants(ed) tattoos, she wound up with TATS. She fortunately didn’t wind up with horrible gang inspired scratch.

Jerryatrophy, Buttwheat, other seniors who derided my advice, all I saw by way of opinion was the thumbs down attitude. Fine, because tough love does work, and your opinion is brutally honest, commands respect, and leaves no question. But what did you attempt to provide in order that the girl doesn’t walk into that again? Instruct and inspire!
    Where I come from, a person provides advice on how to minimalize future mistakes. NOBODY here has given TIPS for how to seek out the cream of the crop, and actually SCORE a $1500 session, or who your favorite artists are. Nobody pointed to any threads that instruct or inform. So now the girl is aware that she has two crappy tattoos, the feather being the better of the two.

Seniors remember the excitement they felt when they they actually got ink from their idolized artist for the first time. Am I wrong? Hell no, I am not. and the ink is, was and always will be fucking awesome. Was it THAT easy to get that session? Did you instinctively KNOW how to get the best bang for your buck? NO, you researched. Unless you were born into the home of a true inkpad, you had to do a bit of investigation. Not everybody knows how to pursue the ultimate level, some can only dream. You networked and developed a relationship with various artists. The art is stellar, your understanding goes through the roof as you chat with the master. The artist is ALWAYS happy to ink or chat with those who “KNOW” and it is a brotherhood(sisters too) that is only felt when you are there, and you know whether you are or are not.
    Uh yes I get it.

I am certain THIS thread isn’t geared for top level, it is opinion asked/answered, perhaps that is why nobody was giving away the good stuff.

**INKPAD: A title of respect for someone who has more than two tattoos that cover large amounts of skin.
    it is a local term, and is not used to insult.

I would LIKE to see the opinionated tattoos evolve into something better, if it elicits a “average” from seniors, it, at least holds some evidence of having risen above amateur status. If the young lady is so inclined, and a SENIOR OFFERED, (ahem) perhaps her world becomes connected to a REAL tattoo universe. (Note idea spiraling down with tail smoke, certain death imminent)

In my own humble way I simply hope to see that she NOT make her tattoos worse, should she look to improve them. I stand by my advice, and in hindsight was in NO WAY disrespecting any top artist, my sincere apologies to those who might have been offended. I was advising under the assumption she would not be heading out on a mission to “get the best by the best, money is not an object.” When THAT is not a viable option, a person SHOULD take the time to make sure they get something that won’t make Buttwheat groan. (with good reason)
    I KNOW “if that is not a viable option why would you even bother?”
    Because, (LOL) the multitude of midgrade tattoos gotten by uninformed people make the best look even better, allowing the artists who create them to charge a bit closer to what they are worth. Nobody can afford priceless.

I don’t like to ruffle feathers, I am not a stranger to the tattoo worlds.
    My apologies for any misunderstandings, and since I have no interested party as to why I joined in the first place, I will go ahead and get off the forum.
    But do keep your eyes open for an altogether different type of machine, perhaps we will meet YAH? I will MaCheen It…

BertNaked
    Participant
    @bertnaked

This is just too much. I’m really trying to understand, but it’s too much.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Ive spent 1 year making a map by myself to help others research who may not know.

Link is in my signature!

You will be surprised that most of these artist are very cheap and affordable by most. There are some artists of course that do demand high fees and wait times but there are many other great artists in nearly every town or city.

People just need to be educated but to be educated they would have to be trying to research themselves and they may hit upon helpful forum posts.

When I was researching for my tattoos there was nothing really to help me research. I spent like a year googling shit like “best tattoo artists in the world” and then following those pictures to forums which lead me onto the possible names of the artists of the art I had seen.

I even joined a Ukrainian forum before Dmitriy Samohin was well known and asked/offered to pay taxi drivers in the Ukraine to drive and find out Dmitriys contact details as they just were not available on the net.

I did all this with no knowledge of the tattoo world at all, because I cared what went on my skin.

There is no excuse for not researching yourself. You wouldn’t pay an unqualified plastic surgeon to work on your face would you?

Tattoos are for life and should be treated as such!

I will say there are people who really don’t give a shit what they get as long they get a tattoo and cheap, I have friends like it so the acrual people you do try and help sometimes don’t even want it.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I wish I had discovered this forum before I got my first couple tattoos.

Your list is great tool peter.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Sorry. If you are trying to make a point. Make it. Nobody cares enough to read the first draft of your novel. Especially on a 4 inch screen. Lol.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@Sam-I-Am 139139 wrote:

I wish I had discovered this forum before I got my first couple tattoos.

Your list is great tool peter.

Thanks mate!

It’s a start at least for people to research, plenty more to add and other stuff being done to make it more accessible in the future 🙂

RHCPinYourStep
    Participant
    @rhcpinyourstep

neither, originality is key

Dan
    Participant
    @dan

the feather like was said,

lesser of two evils,at least don’t get the words.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.