poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

That might explain all the attention I got when I was just in the states for two weeks… Haha, but seriously, pretty much every single person I got in contact with over there commented on my tattoos. Closest thing to a negative comment was a sales girl just saying “you got a lot of tattoos….” A
    But I was just in Florida and New York, though 🙂 Did go see Black Flag and Rancid, and I did notice a lack of very alternative girls at those shows. Quite a few at Rancid in fort lauderdale, but at Black Flag in downtown Miami I hardly saw a single one. Don’t think I saw any with heavy ink… But one thing struck me, in both states; WOW people flaunt some nasty looking tattoos!! Come on, so many awesome artists, and so much terrible ink?? It’s so weird! :p

“Slut” isn’t really a thing here though. People will think I’m some sort of junkie, dumb, irresposible etc, but the most common is just “you didn’t think this through”.
    Some guys do believe that it makes me a slut and easy to get into bed, but I don’t really hang around with people like that, so I don’t hear it much. I should try it as a social experiment one night, go to a typical club, put on a dress and see what happens.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@GrayCatLove 133227 wrote:

(Man. I wish I was a slut. I’d have more fun.)

Sometimes just thinking slutty works.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

No. I been thinking like a slut for years.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Having no shame whatsoever helps! ;D Or jägerbombs. Or hell, just order straight up scotch in any bar and it’ll suddenly work itself out fine!
    Oh, and boobs. And we know you have those! ;D
    Thinking like a slut doesn’t work. That just ends with waking up one sunday morning and suddenly developing ninja escaping skills.
    And for the love of god never listen to your girlfriends about what to do…

RHCPinYourStep
    Participant
    @rhcpinyourstep

This thread is incredibly entertaining XD

On a side not, I study accounting and people look at me like an alien, I don’t “look like” the other students in the business college.
    Some of the people seem amazed when you’re actually nice and not some oddity of nature.
    I actually think it’s amazing when I go somewhere and see a successful person displaying body art/mods.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Pox, you remind me so much of my friend who is a nurse. I washaving.the worst day until you read your post.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

While in Hollywood last week I was looking for a pharmacy that I had seen out the hotel window, but was way turned around and couldn’t find it so I needed to ask directions. The young lady I asked was very heavily tattooed, had lime green short leopard print hair on the sides of her head and was dressed in a cropped black top with tights, very ‘rock’ belt and chains, and big black soldier type boots. There were many other people out on the street, but I asked her because she was walking two dogs so I assumed that she was local. She was very nice and gave me directions and I headed on my way, thinking to myself that she probably doesn’t get asked for directions by many tourists.

Three blocks later I heard her behind me, calling to me. She had chased me down because she had made a mistake in her directions and wanted to make sure I found the place that I was looking for. When I thanked her she said it would have bothered her to send me the wrong way. Very nice lady. Not ‘mainstream’ at all. It made me think about stereotypes, and how I look at people.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

@Zorba 133040 wrote:

What about a dude with a “pretty flower or vine on his hand”?

People got annoyed by this because it had nothing to do with what I was talking about. The point I was making is that how socially acceptable a tattoo happens to be is based in large part in how it effects you getting a job. The general prejudices of the society we’re in plays a major factor in that, so I spoke in generalities. More guys are going to have “badass” tattoos than effeminate ones, so that’s what I talked about.

Plus, it’s you. It’s been a while since I’ve been around, but I remember from when I was that you bring gender preconceptions up constantly, derailing conversations that have nothing to do with it. I’m guilty of this too, with another topic: gay rights, especially the use of the words fag or dyke, or people using the word gay to describe something they generally disapprove of. I derailed a number of threads last year when I was around more often over that shit, and Lord knows I do it in real life constantly. But when I do, people get annoyed, not because I’m wrong, but because they’re just fucking tired of hearing about it. They get mad and hostile at me because at this point they just want to move on with their lives. The same thing applies to you—I haven’t even been around for like a year, and I’m STILL tired of having conversations derailed by your pet cause.

But to take your question at face value, that guy would have it worse unless he was applying to a field dominated by women and effeminate men, such as working in a women’s clothing store. In general, looking at society as a whole, men expect men to behave in a stereotypical manner, and women REALLY expect men to conform to that idea.

Take that with a grain of salt: I’m biased. While in my mind women are free to be anything they want without me thinking badly of them, I have a somewhat traditional view of men. We don’t have to run the household, we don’t have to be the bread earner, but we do have to be men. When things go wrong for the family, we have to be the rock. We need to present ourselves as strong and capable, but to not be afraid to admit we’re wrong and strive to be better the next time. We don’t back down from fights, but we shouldn’t start them either without extreme provocation. We drink our coffee black, our whisky straight, and eat our meat rare. We dress like men, we talk like men, we act like men. And no matter how little it says about me, yes, I would have a poor opinion of the guy with the girly tattoo.

And a large portion of why I find you annoying is because you don’t. But if you’re a man, you really don’t need my approval. You’ll do your own thing and tell me to go to hell, as I rightly should.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Pox wrote:
    Pay your dues first, is my policy. Don’t do hands/neck etc before you’ve done huge parts of your body that isn’t visible all the time! Looks ridiculous when someone has full sleeves, chestpiece and neck, and nothing else.. Haha, my personal opinion there! But it is a fact; The more ink you have, the more you can get away with.

…..

>_>

<_<

-_-;

Um….don’t look at my album, kay?

GrayCatLove wrote:
    (Man. I wish I was a slut. I’d have more fun.)

Remind me to give you my number later. I can help you out with this little problem. 😉

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@KnightHawk 133459 wrote:

Take that with a grain of salt: I’m biased. While in my mind women are free to be anything they want without me thinking badly of them, I have a somewhat traditional view of men. We don’t have to run the household, we don’t have to be the bread earner, but we do have to be men. When things go wrong for the family, we have to be the rock. We need to present ourselves as strong and capable, but to not be afraid to admit we’re wrong and strive to be better the next time. We don’t back down from fights, but we shouldn’t start them either without extreme provocation. We drink our coffee black, our whisky straight, and eat our meat rare. We dress like men, we talk like men, we act like men. And no matter how little it says about me, yes, I would have a poor opinion of the guy with the girly tattoo.

You express yourself very well.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

There’s room for all opinions. I’m a Spivakian feminist all the way. But no one likes the issue beaten into the ground. Most of the people in this country live in the West, the free world. Opinions should be respected. And tearing someone down isn’t more acceptable because you’re a feminist instead of a traditionalist. That’s all I got to say.

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

@KnightHawk 133459 wrote:

…women are free to be anything they want without me thinking badly of them, I have a somewhat traditional view of men. …[/quote]
    And thus you nicely illustrate the one-sidedness, double standard, and unfairness of the whole thing…

Quote:
    But if you’re a man, you really don’t need my approval. You’ll do your own thing and tell me to go to hell, as I rightly should.

But why would I tell you to go to Hell? You have your opinion, I have mine; and that’s the way it should be!

I was just having a bit of fun with the thread. OBVIOUSLY, that backfired.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.