anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@ALEX55 122118 wrote:

got the Jesus part finished not healed yet/bad pic but i think its amazing http://www.thetattooforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12004&d=1357966165

It’s not awful, but the artwork/design is quite poor. The shading on his neck/collarbone looks almost random; the shadows aren’t where they should be. The chin looks deformed, rather than angled as intended. His beard is also uneven below his lip. You’re obviously happy with it though so none of that really matters I suppose.

ALEX55
    Participant
    @alex55
    Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

A few questions.
    1) Do you believe Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior?
    2) If the answer to question No.1 is “no”, why do you want his portrait on your arm?
    3) If the answer to question No.1 is “yes”, why do you want his portrait on your arm?

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@ALEX55 122485 wrote:

well this is the reference material if that makes morse sense to you guys Google Image Result for http://www.catholicjournal.us/storage/thorns.JPG%3F__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION%3D1334108850285

oh2r82.jpg

Seeing the reference image makes the tattoo look much worse, as it makes the flaws stand out more. In the reference pic, the proportions are correct, the beard is even on both sides of his face, the shading is indicative of how it would be in real life, and so forth. Jesus’ head also looks squished, he is in dire need of a nose job, and the right eye looks a little bigger than the left. We have all seen far, far worse, but it’s still not a well done tattoo.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@ALEX55 122485 wrote:

well this is the reference material if that makes morse sense to you guys Google Image Result for http://www.catholicjournal.us/storage/thorns.JPG%3F__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION%3D1334108850285

oh2r82.jpg

Seeing the reference image makes the tattoo look much worse, as it makes the flaws stand out more. In the reference pic, the proportions are correct, the beard is even on both sides of his face, the shading is indicative of how it would be in real life, and so forth. Jesus’ head also looks squished, he is in dire need of a nose job, and the right eye looks a little bigger than the left. We have all seen far, far worse, but it’s still not a well done tattoo.

ALEX55
    Participant
    @alex55

@Sam-I-Am 122486 wrote:

A few questions.
    1) Do you believe Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior?
    2) If the answer to question No.1 is “no”, why do you want his portrait on your arm?
    3) If the answer to question No.1 is “yes”, why do you want his portrait on your arm?

The only reason in my opinion that you and I are alive right now is because of Jesus Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, the LEAST i can do is to go to church every weekend, but I wanted to take it further and get him inked on my arm, with all the pain he went through he deserves to be tattooed on my arm. It is one thing to comment on the quality of someones tattoo but when you tell someone what they can and cant get tattooed and question their decisions you crossed the line. Why dont you go tell more pointless jokes and get a life?

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Wow. This is why im willing to drive 10 hrs for a portrait.

ALEX55
    Participant
    @alex55

D3FiANC3: I appreciate youre opinion if I didn’t want others opinions I wouldnt post things on this site so thank you. Its just weird how on this tattoo especially everyone says how amazing it looks in person, but on this forum you guys hate it compared to the work ive seen on here its not the greatest tattoo but I think it is extremely disrespectful to artists for you to compare their work to the likes of Shane O’Neill, Josh Woods, etc. I just think it is terrible to call these tattoos done by regular artists terrible but thats just my opinion

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@ALEX55 122491 wrote:

I think it is extremely disrespectful to artists for you to compare their work to the likes of Shane O’Neill, Josh Woods, etc. I just think it is terrible to call these tattoos done by regular artists terrible but thats just my opinion

What you’re saying is that we should treat their work as we would treat the drawings of a toddler. Since it’s a toddler and we obviously can’t go about destroying their ego and wrecking their life, we tell them that “wow, that drawing is fantastic!” when it’s hardly discernible what it’s supposed to be.

We CAN, of course, do that… tell you that your tattoo is absolutely fantastic, but that would be doing you a disservice AND lying through our teeth, just as much as we would be lying to the toddler that their drawing is fantastic.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@ALEX55 122491 wrote:

D3FiANC3: I appreciate youre opinion if I didn’t want others opinions I wouldnt post things on this site so thank you. Its just weird how on this tattoo especially everyone says how amazing it looks in person, but on this forum you guys hate it compared to the work ive seen on here its not the greatest tattoo but I think it is extremely disrespectful to artists for you to compare their work to the likes of Shane O’Neill, Josh Woods, etc. I just think it is terrible to call these tattoos done by regular artists terrible but thats just my opinion

It’s not weird at all. People are only able to rate something based on their level of knowledge and experience and will inevitably compare it against what they know. Most people simply have no idea how to tell whether a tattoo is good or not and furthermore, they are often comparing it against the complete garbage that is churned out by scratchers and incompetent “professionals.”

Now when it comes to tattoos, there are generally 2 levels of comparison. First, there is the question of whether or not the tattoo is well drawn and executed. This is not a comparison-based judgement; it is simply an assessment of the tattoo on its own. Shading is either properly done or it isn’t. Proportions are either correct or they aren’t. I explained in my previous posts why your tattoo is not a well done tattoo and none of it has anything to do with any other artist.

Second, there is the question as to whether the tattoo could have been done considerably better by someone else. Phil Young, for example, does great portraits. Shane O’Neill does them better, but that doesn’t change the fact that Phil does great work. Likewise, if I compare your ink against most of the stuff I see at my gym, it is quite a bit better – but that doesn’t make it good. If a tattoo is poorly done, it’s poorly done; it’s just that simple.

You don’t need to get work from a world renowned artist in order for it to be a good tattoo. Every single artist at Hope Gallery, for example, does great work. Aside from Joe Capo, none of them has much of a waiting list nor are they world famous, but they all do great work nonetheless. Now if you get a tattoo from say Jeff Gogue and the lines are wonky, the shading is poor, and the proportions are wrong, it’s still a shit tattoo, despite the fact that Jeff is (imho) one of the greatest artists out there.

So again, no one is calling your tattoo bad because of who did it or because some world famous artist could do it better. They are calling it bad because it is poorly done. Period.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@ALEX55 122491 wrote:

D3FiANC3: Its just weird how on this tattoo especially everyone says how amazing it looks in person, but on this forum you guys hate it

There are two reasons for that.
    1: the the people you are showing it to have no knowledge of tattoos.
    2: the people you are showing it to don’t want to make you feel bad they know you, We don’t know you and could give a fuck about your feelings.

You can be happy with your tattoo but it is pretty poorly done. The thing with tattoos are they are kind of permanent so you should want the best you can get.
    One thing I figured out real quick when I was a newb on Index :: Tattoo Forum at Everytattoo.com was that anyone can get tattooed by a great artist and not to settle for crap.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@ALEX55 122489 wrote:

The only reason in my opinion that you and I are alive right now is because of Jesus Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, the LEAST i can do is to go to church every weekend, but I wanted to take it further and get him inked on my arm, with all the pain he went through he deserves to be tattooed on my arm. It is one thing to comment on the quality of someones tattoo but when you tell someone what they can and cant get tattooed and question their decisions you crossed the line. Why dont you go tell more pointless jokes and get a life?

I like your strong convictions. I don’t care for portraits because I have seen nice ones that haven’t aged very well. They don’t usually improve as they age. It is more than an opinion that your tattoo is not well done. It is a fact. You have it and all the talk in the world won’t change that. You seem happy with it and that’s fine. Not many people will tell you to your face that it’s poorly done.
    I try to show my love for Christ by the way I live my life and the way I deal with others.
    As far as jokes: If one person laughs (or groans) at my jokes they are not pointless.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

Who is jesus? :confused:

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

This forum opened my eyes quite a bit. So much that i havent been excited enough about an idea to schedule another appt with the artist ive been using for the past 7 years. Im currently saving up enough money to make a trip to tampa and get work done by an artist that was recommended by this forum.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.