Danyolb
Participant
@danyolb

Hey All.
I have a basic design, and am open for comments to improve.
I don’t plan to get inked for another 6 months or so, plenty of time to consider.

Location: Above elbow to top of shoulder where chest meets. half-sleeve
e.g.zeldafishbymotorleague.jpg

Design: Something to symbolise my premature birth, and fighting for survival.
ingredients to the design include, Koi fish – fighting the currents, sagittarius (born in december), possible my weight at birth in roman numerals, something to symbolise fighting health.

Colours:
Black & White with Red:
eg: blackwhitewithredcolour.jpg

I want to go to an artist with more than I have at the moment.
Open to all ideas, Thanks all.

DanTheMedic
Participant
@danthemedic

Birth weight in Roman Numerals?

Taking into account you’ve had Jap work done, wouldn’t Kanji numbers be more in keeping with the design?

Just a thought.

Danyolb
Participant
@danyolb

That sounds much better mate appreciate that.
Also how would you recommend getting the tattoo to really highlight a struggle for health, fighting for survival.. I love sagittarius photographs like the below. How would you say to compose all of these ingredients to get my idea a whole?

sagp.jpg

Thanks.

DanTheMedic
Participant
@danthemedic

TBH mate I’m not sure. I’m a Scorpio and really wanted to incorporate that into my design but not sure if it works in Jap style as its a completely different thing astrology and traditional designs.

I would possibly recommend either speaking to someone on here who really knows their background into Jap styles and what goes/doesn’t go together and see what they say.

There was a different thread on here I was reading yesterday that I also commented on and one of the senior members seemed to really know his shit about the elements you can and can’t put together – that’s if you WANT it to be flow in an authentic style. For me I think I might end up having a completely separate tattoo with my star sign on somewhere else.

You could have a really small Sagittarius logo done within the design, say like on one of the koi’s scales, so it was still in the design but not so prominent that it looked out of place?

Danyolb
Participant
@danyolb

Love the idea Dan.
I seem to have too many ideas going on, and I don’t know whether to go with a koi fish or go down another route.

I have a message I want the tat to carry, but don’t feel confident in a way to get it across ๐Ÿ™‚
Hopefully it will all come together in the end. Appreciate the comments BTW!! Cheers mate

Open to all comments ๐Ÿ™‚

Adler
Participant
@adler

From what you described, you’re looking at 2 or 3 seperate tattoos not just one with a bunch of unrelated elements. If you’re going to get a koi (somewhat generic and overused) then get a koi, if you want a sagitarrius symbol then get that but don’t incorporate the two into into one tattoo.
By the way, who did that tiger tattoo above?

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

totally agree with adler, there are different elements that you can and cant incorporate into a traditional japanese tattoo, tbh, i would avoid writin of any kind and i would look more at samurai’s for strength and geisha’s for vulneability and peonies and so on and work with those kind of aspects, or even dragons and symbolise your things that way, if you get a beautiful japanese sleeve done and then chuck in a load of kanji i just think it will totally distract from the art and instead you’ll always be having to explain what the kanji means. leave the saggitarious thing out or do it elsewhere, it has nothing to do with japanese. I would resource a well known japanese artist in your area and go and talk to them and see what they say, their input will always be better than ours, it is their job after all ๐Ÿ™‚ good luck x

Danyolb
Participant
@danyolb
kittykat200;103439 wrote:
totally agree with adler, there are different elements that you can and cant incorporate into a traditional japanese tattoo, tbh, i would avoid writin of any kind and i would look more at samurai’s for strength and geisha’s for vulneability and peonies and so on and work with those kind of aspects, or even dragons and symbolise your things that way, if you get a beautiful japanese sleeve done and then chuck in a load of kanji i just think it will totally distract from the art and instead you’ll always be having to explain what the kanji means. leave the saggitarious thing out or do it elsewhere, it has nothing to do with japanese. I would resource a well known japanese artist in your area and go and talk to them and see what they say, their input will always be better than ours, it is their job after all ๐Ÿ™‚ good luck x

Thanks for all of the above comments ^
After reading more sources, I totally agree with where you are all coming from.

However, what would you recommend I get to express my premature birth situation. I want a tattoo because I love them, but I want to base it around a part of me so that I know I will always love it as it expresses my past. Basically its going to be a half sleeve, Black shading and red only like the above tiger tattoo (who I cant remember who inked it… I’ll dig through my files.). Any recommendations/examples will be massively appreciated.

Again thank you very much for helping me.
Kind regards – Daniel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.