Danyolb
Participant
@danyolb

Hey There Guys,
I have been considering a jap trad koi half tattoo from chest to elbow for some time now. I’d like it to symbolise my premature birth fighting for survival going from the bottom of the waterfall (elbow) up towards my chest, as leaves (representing time) flow past. I may even consider it evolving into a dragon, however, I’m still unsure.

I have looked at many pictures, and I’m not a good drawer so designing my own proved hard. I have two questions:

Does anyone have any ideas or examples?
What steps should I take to get an idea onto paper?

Thank You So Much
Dan.

tattooholic
Participant
@tattooholic

You can get a subscription to a tattoo design membership site –
some of these have direct access to tattoo design artists and you can get a customized tattoo design that will fit your requirements

Danyolb
Participant
@danyolb

Could you please link me to one? thanks 😉

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Don’t waste your money. It’s all crap.

Yellowbeard
Participant
@yellowbeard
Danyolb;78467 wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas or examples?
What steps should I take to get an idea onto paper?

The ‘lowly carp swimming against the waterfall, evolving into a dragon’ is a very common motif in Japanese-style tattooing. You shouldn’t have any problems finding examples by searching the web.

Once you get a clearer idea what you want, any tattoist working in the Japanese style should be able to give you some ideas on content, placement, traditional meaning, etc.

That said…if I understand your placement idea correctly, that’s an awful lot of content to cram into a relatively small area. You might think about a backpiece. That way you could have all the elements you want and convey your tattoo’s meaning without it looking like you tried to cram the Encyclopedia Britannica into a pamphlet…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.