Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

Hey all, I was wondering; when you were planning/ getting your sleeves or large leg pieces etc how did you go about planning them?

I’m planning to get a half sleeve with an ‘English country garden’ theme. Lost of different types of traditional English flowers etc but super realistic and was wondering if it would be best to design the entire sleeve and have it all done in a couple of sittings (outlines then shading etc) or should I get a new flower every once in a while and then fill in the background when I’ve got enough on me?

To clarify, how did you plan your larger pieces? As one big design or as smaller key pictures that were eventually connected?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, I guess it really depends on the theme of the sleeve, and your preference.

I’m planning a complete leg sleeve, and I want the entire thing to be one piece, but there’s no way I can afford to create it that way. So I am forced to draw up every single image and place it, design the background and create a paper stencil. Then I’ll need to bring with me whatever I’m going to get, along with the whole thing for the artist to correctly place it. It’s an enormous job, and really a ridiculous undertaking 😀

Then there is the other leg sleeve… it’s basically just a bunch of stuff, not really designed to be joined in a specific fashion.

So I guess yours would fit somewhere in the middle of that. You’ll be able to create one thing at a time, but for each of them you need to tell your artist that it’s going to be part of a sleeve, and that X background is going to be created at a later date, so that he can design with that in mind.

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

Thanks man 🙂

I’m a student so I’m in the ‘not being able to afford the whole thing in one go’ boat. I want to design it myself and the way you’re doing yours sounds like a good idea plus once it’s finished I imagine the sense of achievement will be amazing. I’m looking forward to the challenge (inbetween coursework of course lol). Got untill Jan (next student loan installment thus next tattoo) to get something started.

If anyone else has any other methods I’m certainly open to hearing them.

board_riider
Participant
@board_riider

Well, I’m 2 sessions into my full sleeve (which looks like a half sleeve at the moment) but I basically have my artist booked each session from open til close (its way cheaper that way at her shop as well) and we bang out as much as we can in that 6 hour period. For me, I want to get my sleeve done as quickly as possible, so she has everything drawn up basically, and so now I have the full top outline, and most of the coloring done on the top. Next sitting will be underneath my arm *cringe* and if she has time, we’ll start outlining the bottom half of my arm….
So yeah, it really boils down to how much money you can fork out each time, I guess..and how long you can sit for, etc etc.
My next sitting is in 3 weeks and I’m stoked..after each sitting there’s such a sense of accomplishment as well, as you see your piece coming more and more alive. For me, I’d rather see more of a whole piece, as opposed to patch-work, you know what I mean…but it’s totally everyone’s different preference.
Your idea sounds pretty cool, by the way!

inkbyj
Participant
@inkbyj

When doing a sleeve, its like any other major project. Its all in the planning stages where all the real hard work is done. Just have a really good idea of what you want to include. Then find a really good local custom tattoo artist, and have him draw something up for you. Just have a good plan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.