ryan2022
Participant
@ryan2022

Hi folks, been having an up and down time with life these days, and it had me thinking recently about my tattoos.

I have several on my shoulders and one on my chest. I love my tattoos, and each one has a purpose. the only time I really question them is when I’m out without a shirt on, and I feel self concious. a t -Shirt regularily covers them.

My wife has tats as well as piercings, and we love getting work done together. I just feel a bit strange about them the odd time.

I’m a pretty clean cut guy, with a good job, and the tattoos are fairly aggressive. All are done by the same local artist over a period of about 5 years. I’ve got a traditional scorpion on the left shoulder with a frame of the word perseverance and success in Kanji which works well together. On the right shoulder, I’ve got an abstract image of a blacksmith swinging a hammer ( a good number in my moms side of the family are tradesman), along with a band lower on the arm consisting of Karate practitioners in mirror image repeating around the arm. (Ive trained for most of my life) I’ve also got a dragon with its tail wrapped around a ying yang on my chest that I designed.

Theyre all well done, I just get self concious.

Anyone else have bouts of this?

Thanks,

Ryan

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey

mine’s tiny, and I’ve only had it a month so I can’t really compare BUT

Yeah. And it’s not you, its worrying about other people. Mine is seen pretty much in any shoes that aren’t trainers. I love it, and I’m proud of it too.

But it’s been a week of balls and so on at my uni, and friends have started graduating. People at my uni don’t really seem to have tattoos and so I’ve been getting some odd looks. Admittedly they’re probably just curious but it makes me a little uncomfortable. But hey, it’s my choice, I’m proud of it, and if I want to I can hide it. I don’t want other people’s ‘possible’ disdain get in my way

poesy

ryan2022
Participant
@ryan2022

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, there are a lot of nasty close minded people out there.

i wouldnt worry about it, but thats easy for me to say. I wish I had my wifes attitude all the time. When I tell her, she just looks at me like I’m crazy and says “who the hell cares what they think?”…………She is awesome.

shudderingfordays
Participant
@shudderingfordays

Hi,

This is quite a pertinent point for me. I currently have tattoos on both shoulders (my right side reaching down just south of the average t-shirt sleeve). This Saturday (26th) I am booked in to have my right arm extended to a full sleeve (several hours over two days so I finally get to see where my threshold lies).

Obviously, I have thought long and hard (*insert own joke here*) about the ramifications of making such a commitment. I am fortunate to be in a job that will be unaffected by my decision, and my family and friends are relatively understanding/neutral. That apart, I have to accept that certain judgements will be made about me.

I have reached a stage (age?) where I am able to not give too much weight to strangers’ opinions and remain philisophical. Also, frankly, I’m a little bit fed up with nobody being able to see the markings on my body that I’ve played bloody good money for. Thank you.

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

In my own experience, the people who hate tattoos are too afraid to tell me to my face, probably because im a pretty big guy 😀 I think thats the case with alot of people, tattoos can be pretty intimidating to those who know nothing about them. I guess the criminal stereotype kinda comes into play here. The people worth knowing will get to know you first before jumping to that conclusion.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Or sluts…

that the female sterotype that has to dealt with. Except, infortunately, that can have a direct impact. People may avoid men with tattoos because of intimidation, but women thought sluttish are more likely to risk being hassled on a night out etc

But I feel I’m at the age when I can quite happily tell someone who bothers me to sod off. Doesnt mean the sterotype should prevail.

Like all sterotypes, its unfair, but we have to appreciate we made a conscious choice and so have to deal with the consequences. sad but true

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.