JessyRose27
Participant
@jessyrose27

Hey, I have a question for those who have done this before ..
I want to get my first tattoo, but something small so as to see what I’m getting into.
I don’t have alot of money either so a small one right now is the best thing for me ..
So yeah, my cousin drew me this music note in a funky way, and I want to get it a little under my ear (not right behind it) but not so much on my neck ..
So, my question is : does it hurt ? Is it a good idea for a first tattoo ?
I really want it, but I’m a tad scared .. :p

amishman863
Participant
@amishman863

Welcome to the forum first off.

Please don’t let money determine your tattoo. If it takes you a couple months to save up to get the tattoo you really want then do. It will be on you forever.

Does it hurt? Yes.

Good idea for a first tattoo? I don’t know. My first tattoo was relatively big. Because thats what I wanted. I will not short my self an AWESOME tattoo I want because of a small budget. If you can’t afford the tattoo you REALLY want then don’t get something just because. (Not saying small tattoos are bad)

If you REALLY want it then get it.

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

In my opinion not a good place for a first timer tattoo. I was just talking to my artist about neck tattoos. He said that he refuses to tattoo someone in that area for there first tattoos. Even people that have a few smaller tattoos, he mostly wont do it. He stated plain in simple it a “poser” thing to do. He stated having neck tattoo doesnt make anyone cool. But a “poser” would think so.

Is it going to hurt? What do you think? Needles injecting ink into your skin.

inkmenow
Participant
@inkmenow

If this is your first tattoo, then you might want to try a cheap temporary one first and see if the location is right. Also, make sure it has special meaning and not just to look cool. Good luck!

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

for your 1st tattoo i dont think you should get it where people can see easily .
i actually want a behind the ear tattoo myself :rolleyes:

JessyRose27
Participant
@jessyrose27

It does actually mean alot to me, the drawing. And as for people seeing it, unless I tie up my hair (which I almost never do) no one will see it. And I’m not getting this just because my budget is tight, yeah I’m going to save up for a bigger one too (a bug one between my shoulder blades actually) but the behind the ear one is one I’ve wanted for a long time. I can handle pain ok, I’m just a little worried because I don’t know what to expect pain wise .. And I’m much rather start off with that small then start off with one that would take hours .. But I just wanted to know from people who have had it that also really wanted it : what did it feel like ? Was it worth it ?

Thanks !

amishman863
Participant
@amishman863

Ok, if it has meaning to you and you want it go for it!

Pain wise it is like someone draging a needle on your skin. Yeah its hurts but tattoos wouldnt be what they are if they didnt.

Is it worth it? For me it was just because I really wanted it and because it is a piece of amazing art I will have for ever.

Start out small?? Come on, shoot for the stars! Go for the big one!

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

To do with the pain thing-get some numbing cream from Sainsbury’s. It’s called Ametop and it’s a local anaesthetic and will dull the pain for a while. It does depend on how perceptible to pain. Have you had any piercings before on places like the tragus?

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

I wouldn’t get a neck/ear tattoo becuase they are visible but I guess it depends what career industry you are in. I see a girl at Starbucks with a tattoo behind her ear and she has to wear a band-aid over it every time she works. I would think about how it may limit your job obtions. Just keep that in mind.

I would be more inclined to get a small tattoo like that on the foot, especially if it’s your first.

Scissors
Participant
@scissors

Yes it will hurt, but it will pass. If you’re too afraid of pain you shouldn’t do it. But once you’re sitting there it will feel okay, like something you can overcome. The pain is extremely temporary. The healing is worse, in an annoying way.

If it’s a good idea for a first tattoo? Only you know really. It seems like it’s something you really want and have thought a lot about and that’s always a good sign. Then it’s not only a spur of the moment. Although you should be prepared that it will show. You can’t hide if forever. One day you might want a new hair style or get caught in a wind… No matter what you think 😉 If that’s okay, then go for it. It seems like you’ve already made up your mind anyway and just want a push through the parlour door.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.