jackarmy1688
Participant
@jackarmy1688

Hi, I have booked my first 4 hour session for a Religious Sleeve, My artist wants me to take him references before we start.
I am thinking of having a life like Jesus as the center peice with clouds, sunrays and shading to start off. This will be on the upper arm.
Looking for any Ideas for what else I can include and also If there are any good websites available to find pictures or paintings of religious images. Any help Welcome, Thanks Scott B! 😮

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

you could probably try photobucket, google, ummm just a plain ole word search may turn up something.

religion doesn’t come into my tatts to often (I design my own) but from what you are describing yours will look pretty cool. Make sure you post before, during and after pics! I’m curious to see what you come up with

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

they is a brilliant website for religious tattoos but i can’t remember it for the life of me :rolleyes:

Im sure Matthew will know which one im thinking of and post you a link to it !

mugwump
Participant
@mugwump

What about something like the Gates of Hell by Rodin? whole bunch of angels / demons dancing around the archway…

nb – saw it in person a few years back in Paris – HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!! epic doesnt begin to describe it…

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

This site has some great ink for inspiration on religious tattoos

http://www.religioustattoos.net/Other_Tattoos/index.php

You could also consider the art by Thomas Blackshear perhaps his most famous is the ‘Forgiven’ oil on canvas

http://purgatorio1.com/wp-content/pics/forgiven.jpg

Just as a side note the hands are deliberately larger than normal as this represents the fact that Christ had the strength to carry the weight of the sins of all those around him.

The hammer and nail is the fact that everytime the guy pictured does something wrong he is metaphysically driving it into the flesh of Christ who still supports him (out of love) and the lilies obviously represent the death and resurrection through blood.

Even as a person who is Jewish I find the piece to be very moving artistically and philisophically.

Take Care
Matthew

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

the 1st link is the site i was trying to think of 😉

good old matthew :p

jackarmy1688
Participant
@jackarmy1688

Thank you all for the help. Very much appreciated 🙂
I have plenty of refreance for insparation now, great stuff.
My first sitting is in just over a month so I will keep you all posted on how it goes

Thanks All, Scott 😀

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

show us what you end up having done 😉

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

going completely against what youve said, jesus etc. etc. i think the angel michael, or gabriel, or both, or a scene of some sort of battle between good and evil fallen angels, st. christopher is also a really nice piece of art when hes done right.

jackarmy1688
Participant
@jackarmy1688

Cool the Angel Michael looks like a good tattoo peice! killing some demons
So many options!! ahhh!! lol

jackarmy1688
Participant
@jackarmy1688

Hay all, thanks very much for your help in this thread, it had a big influence in what I chose to get.

Last tuesday I finally got my first sitting for my religious sleeve, 4 and a half hours later I am delighted with how it has turned out.

After all the great help and fantastic ideas I got on here I finally Decided to go for the S.t Michael slaying the Devil idea.

My next sitting will be to add clouds above with sun beams coming down and also a cliff edge at the bottom.
Here is a pic of it so far.

Thanks again for help so far folks, will be asking for more ideas for the sleeve in the future 😀
(I am clueless what to have inside and at the back of the hand) lol

ArniVidar
@arnividar

You are posting a link to your Facebook page, which is closed to any but your Facebook friends. Try http://www.imageshack.us/ or use the album feature for your account in these forums.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.