Ridewithme38
    Participant
    @ridewithme38

So i went the other day to get a tattoo that ive wanted for the last 7yrs, my daughter name and birthdate above my heart. I admit it was my fault its crooked, i didnt check the stencil close enough. But, i figure i should try to make the best of it. What do gou think of putting a crooked name tattoo in a banner or ribbon to make it look intentional? I kinda like this design, but im not 100% on it.

tattoo-heart-ribbon.jpg

Any ideas on a better design? I’m also considering a these below and just adding the ribbon above them.

And
    image646_cl72a.jpg

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

It would really help to see a picture, to help gauge the size and shape of the existing text.
    That being said, I think the bottom two look hideous. Depending on your existing ink, a traditional heart/banner, however, might look really good.

Ridewithme38
    Participant
    @ridewithme38

Just to warn you, i have some serious man boobs, so if you have a weak stomach you may want to look away

chesttattoo.jpg

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

I have to say, that looks far better “crooked” as you say, than it would have looked perfectly horizontal. It seems more organic to me, especially with the font doing some leaning in the other direction.

I’d say that if you’re going to go for traditional banner/heart over that, it would get really big.

Ridewithme38
    Participant
    @ridewithme38

It just feels like it ‘needs’ something to me, i don’t know, maybe i’ve just got to start working on a half sleeve on the opposite arm(which i was going to use that fatherhood design with a band for…maybe not now)….maybe that will help give it some life

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I would have “Rayden” on a banner being pulled by a small aircraft headed for your right nipple.

Ridewithme38
    Participant
    @ridewithme38

@Sam-I-Am 132676 wrote:

I would have “Rayden” on a banner being pulled by a small aircraft headed for your right nipple.

Put a tattoo of pearl harbor over the right nipple? (i’m from NY it might still be too early for twin towers sarcasm) It does kinda look like Rayden huh? I like the design my tattoo artist did, i think the letters came out VERY clean, but it’s supposed to say Kayden…

Damn that pictures horrible, i really need to do some pushups!

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Kayden. Yep, I see it.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

The flourish should have definitely gone the other way on the “k” .
    I also saw “rayden”

Ridewithme38
    Participant
    @ridewithme38

@jerryatrophy 132692 wrote:

The flourish should have definitely gone the other way on the “k” .
    I also saw “rayden”

I can’t complain, overall its a very clean tattoo and he was very smooth with the tattoo machine, i’m just new to tattooing so didn’t realize the angle was correct for mine. I’m going to go back to him soon to get the Celtic Fatherhood knot put on my right shoulder, i’m hoping, overtime i can morph that into a half sleeve, when time and money allows

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@Ridewithme38 132699 wrote:

I can’t complain, overall its a very clean tattoo and he was very smooth with the tattoo machine, i’m just new to tattooing so didn’t realize the angle was correct for mine. I’m going to go back to him soon to get the Celtic Fatherhood knot put on my right shoulder, i’m hoping, overtime i can morph that into a half sleeve, when time and money allows

Really?

I would go with the heart and the banner that should fix it up real good.

The only time you should ever see that tattooist again is to kick him in the nuts for putting that on you.
    With the amount of uber talented tattooist out there today there is no reason to get a crappy tattoo.

Ridewithme38
    Participant
    @ridewithme38

@buttwheat 132710 wrote:

Really?

I would go with the heart and the banner that should fix it up real good.

The only time you should ever see that tattooist again is to kick him in the nuts for putting that on you.
    With the amount of uber talented tattooist out there today there is no reason to get a crappy tattoo.

Wow, I had no idea it was a bad tattoo, all I was worried about was the angle and I’ve been told that’s the way it should be. What jumps out at you as obviously bad/wrong? I have about $250 in tattoo credit left with this guy, maybe if I figure out the mistakes with this, I can be careful with picking and being more specific with the next.

Do you really think its that bad? Or are you just messing with me?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi,

The positioning of the name is fine. Not all text tattoos have to be straight and it does as previously mentioned have some organic flow across your chest.

What I think that you are really looking for is a way to make it ‘pop’ so that it really stands out against your chest. (It is going to be your most important tattoo really because it is your daughter’s name so I don’t blame you for wanting more).

There are a number of ways that this can be achieved. These are constructive criticisms and suggestions only.

You can go for that traditional heart and banner but it will look massive (full chest) to really get the proportions.

Other suggestions;

You can get drop shading put in and have him run the outer letters with highlights of another colour (white works but it will need maintenance, indigo, purple, light blue, red – if done right you can get it looking really good).

Re-shade to a deeper black. Once the ink is healed you can go over the lettering so it is a deeper black – not sure if photo lighting but the fill does not seem as solid as it could be. This is really easy to do and most ink often needs small touch ups.

You can add floral (roses) around the piece so that the petals rest against the curve of the lettering and have the stems wrap around it.

You can have a smoke effect or even wind bars and lotus theme with the name in the centre.

Buttwheat doesn’t mess about with tattoo thoughts – that said though (without swelling his ego) he is sporting some top rate ink from master artists. My understanding is text is not his fave style.

That said there are some amazing artists who can do some serious justice to that ink and turn it into an incredible piece if you wish.

Just remember it is not a ‘bad’ tattoo – those are pieces of ink that cannot be salvaged for love or money.

Take care
    Matthew

Ridewithme38
    Participant
    @ridewithme38

You definetly given me some things to think about! The rose and the ‘drop shadows’ are both pretty good options!

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

I would love to be proven wrong, but I am afraid that your current tattooist is not up to the challenge of making your tattoo better.

Could you give us a link to some of his work?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.