ArniVidar
    @arnividar

A bit belated, but Happy Birthday Dan! 🙂

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I had my berries of twig and berries fame ultrasounded today. Kinda weird having some strange lady foundling my junk.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

@buttwheat 141844 wrote:

I had my berries of twig and berries fame ultrasounded today. Kinda weird having some strange lady foundling my junk.

When i had one swell up to tangerine size i had that. Humility goes out the window when your ball might pop.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Deep question time.

What do you think has had a bigger impact on the industry:

The rise of social media? Or miami ink?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Is Miami Ink still on?

All the tattoo shows have an impact. Some ways good, some ways bad.

More people are receptive to people with tattoos. on the other hand, tattoos now have to have special meanings, and there are many more scratchers out there to make money off of the boom.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

I legitimately dont know the answer to this question. But i see the art shared so freely and artists guest spotting around the world. It makes me wonder, was the tattoo industry this interconnected 25 years ago?

Was there a consensus that tattoos were nothing more than art….before….miami ink?

When did the collector movement really start to pick up steam?

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

I just met Chris Nunez a few weeks ago while I was getting a tattoo (from another artist). He seemed like a nice guy and was certainly well liked by the other artists that were around. And super patient and friendly to all his tv fans that kept stopping by and asking for pictures with him (as was Dan Smith) . It was almost non stop.

I watched a clip of an old episode the other day and he was SO YOUNG back then. The young believe that they can change the world but I bet when it was all happening back then he never thought about the impact it would have on the industry.

Between the tv shows and the rise of social media it was like the perfect storm blowing in from two directions, and like you said that brought both good and bad. But I know that in the end I benefitted, by seeing what is possible in tattoos now. And by giving me access to artists from around the globe. Thank you instagram … and “reality” t.v.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Well I got my first tattoo a bit before Miami Ink etc came around and also worked a bit in a shop back then(I was a very happy kid!) – And the same idiots came around 😉 Trends took longer to spread, back then I believe it was stars, tramp stamps and gothic letters. They’d stick around for years. Now it’s changed more, as a popular pintrest picture will be super popular for 2-3 weeks of booking, if a celebrity gets it, maybe a year, depending on how likeable it is. Some trends still stick around for years, though. But I’m pretty sure 10 years ago you wouldn’t get 8 girls by in two weeks asking for the exact same picture, to then hardly ever seeing it again.
    But I think Miami Ink and Social media helped make it more accessible, people now believe all tattoo studios are so welcoming, warm and will absolutely LOVE your idea no matter how fucking stupid it is. Which in turn also means that people expect their tattoo artist to behave like a waiter – The customer is always right and so on. Which I can confirm quite a few artists are having a hard time dealing with 😛 (So did I, I was raised into the industry by old school guys, taking shit for 18yrs olds who wanted impossible things were never my strong suit as manager…)

I think Miami Ink etc made it more accessible, social media made it more accepted in general, because you see them everywhere and on everyone now. To me it def made high quality art easier to find, but tattoo magazines have been around for a long time, but it was more of an effort to find the amazing artists and art before.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Had a random drug test today.
    I wish I could have studied I don’t know to pronounce most of them let alone spell them.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Would you drive 3.5 hrs (one way) for a consult?

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@jerryatrophy 142080 wrote:

Would you drive 3.5 hrs (one way) for a consult?

For the right artist I would.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

@Call_me_Lola 142083 wrote:

For the right artist I would.

Same here. If I drove, that is. But easily. I do 15hr trips for the right artist.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Its just a long ride for a 10-15 minute consult. Appt (if booked) would be 9-10 months out.
    Im pretty sure im going to do it. Daphne alabama, Sean Herman.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

I am officially sick of waiting on emails. This clearly isnt working.
    Time to start calling. Lol.

charliesnike
    Participant
    @charliesnike

Meditation, because some questions can’t be answered by Google.

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 754 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.