American Idol
Participant
@american-idol

I would tell a n00b to take not one but several rider safety courses before they think about hitting the street. One safety course is not enough when talking rider safety. For something like this you want to engage ‘layered learning’ as we’re talking a life and death issue. And then when you get a little experience on the street you should go to a racers school. That’s right, take your Harley with extended forks and ape hanger bars and go to a school that teaches racers how to be a better racer. A school like that will be held at a race course. And before you hit the street a prospective street rider has to know what the number one contributing factor that causes a rider to crash. They need to know the answer to that question or they need to research it and if they don’t know the answer then they shouldn’t be on the street. And you should spend your time in Cyberspace with other like minded riders who discuss safety, talk safety, analyze safety and share their experiences because once you start to ride on the street you automatically assume that you’re taking a much greater risk in life, a risk that can or will kill you or seriously injure you, so it would behoove a n00b to pretend their a parent and do what any decent parent would want their son or daughter to do should their child decide to take up street riding. I’ll post two links to a couple of forums where you’ll find excellent info that might prevent a new rider from getting killed or seriously hurt, forums where they talk safety and emphasize safety, especially link #1. Bookmark ’em to your favorite web browser (especially link #1, worth repeating as that site is geared 100% towards safety talk). This is not spam: I’m more interested in preventing a fellow rider from going down and getting hurt or killed AND I want to read what other experienced riders have to write about safety, wisdom that’ll keep me alive and injury free.
Now where are you at this point in your riding career ArniVidar, did you take the leap and are you riding in the street here in April 2010? How’s it going out there? And have you gone down yet if so, what happened? How’s your experience been? I bet your first time out on the street was a little like the first time you had sex: one part confusing, one part exhilerating, all of it a MAJOR head rush.

1) http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/default.asp
2) http://london.craigslist.org/forums/?forumID=1947

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Thanks for the links dude!!

No, I haven’t taken the plunge yet. I bought myself a new dirt-cheap car and the next thing to buy will be a good bicycle and after that I’ll consider starting the whole learning the bike thing. It’s $1500 just to get the permit, about 2x that for the riding/safety gear and then at least 5x that for a cheap and probably half-ruined bike. This, of course, clashes with my tattooing expense, so it’d going to take time to get everything I want 😀

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

Just a quick summary of how much I’ve spent on gear:

Helmets x 2 = $300
Leather Jacket x 2 = $1000
Draggin’ Jeans = $200
Boots = $200
Wet weather / Winter gear = $200
Gloves x 3 =$120
General accessories (scarves, masks, sunglasses…) = $100

I don’t think I’m missing anything there.
Anyway, altogether that’s $2120, just on gear. Not all of it you might think are necessary, but that’s just what I’ve personally spent. Looking back, that’s a lot of money!

Just a quick edit too – Some of the prices depend on the brand too, I know I spoilt myself with a Harley jacket.

American Idol
Participant
@american-idol

Besides riding gear add approximately

>500 USD / 420 GBP for not one but two rider safety courses (two classes is protocol for myself or a loved one, plan it as if you’re going away to fight a war or engage in a battle to the death)
>200 USD / 130 GBP for a couple of good books on safe riding that have garnered many good user reviews at Amazon and for one DVD tutorial on the same subject

In the states the MSF offers rider safety courses as does Harley Davidson lets just hope the HD school doesn’t try and ram their product down a students throat which in my mind would be a distraction and a conflict of interest to a serious student and a play by big business prioritizing profit, don’t care if it is HD.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.