BowsButtons
    Participant
    @bowsbuttons

This is really frustrating! Iwent to a new tattoo parlour today to ask for help covering the horrible tattoo I got when I was 17. The (really hot) guy there asked what I was into, I’m into a lot of different styles at the moment. I love most Japanese stuff (I’m looking at Koi fish at the moment) Surrealism is cool, I really like cute but gore-y arts. Basically I’m just looking for anything to cover this tattoo. It has no reference to any kind of style I’m into. Whatever I’m into..

Help?

Maybe someone could work with me on designing something?

l_3d3dde9614341437613c41525c079e9a.jpg

That shows pretty much all of my right forearm from wrist to inside elbow.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Unfortunately the pic did not work.

My advice is give it some serious thought as to waht you want as you do not want to be looking at a cover up over a cover up down the line.

Trad japanese and surrealism are 2 of my fave areas of art.

The main thing is do not be in a hurry and you will know what you want when you see it. At the moment I get the impression you are just rushing because you dislike your tattoo.

Also all ‘hotness’ aside is the tattooist any good? Do they have plenty of experience in dealing with cover ups?

I am happy to help with ideas but I would suggest narrowing down on what you want first;

Consider

Style Oriental, Fantasy, Horror, Bio-mech etc

Colour of black n shade

Size – just enough to cover the old tatt or a 1/2, 3/4, or full sleeve?

Take Care
    Matthew

BowsButtons
    Participant
    @bowsbuttons

Well through out the course of the day I’ve been researching like maaaaaaad.
    I was looking at some aquatic themes and I thought of mermaids.
    Mermades are pretty symbolic and I like everything they represent.

I did rush with this design, this is the typical peer-preasured-into-it tattoo.
    My other tattoo’s are awesome and all mean something to me except this one.

Also, I’ve heard a lot about the artist I’ve made a consultation appointment with so she must be better than my usual tattooist.

Thanks Matthew 🙂
    I’ll try uploading the picture again..

l_3d3dde9614341437613c41525c079e9a.jpg

If that don’t work…
    http://1.2.3.10/bmi/c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/44/l_3d3dde9614341437613c41525c079e9a.jpg

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

hii

the pic still didnt show and the link failed to open.
    id like to see what your covering up .

BowsButtons
    Participant
    @bowsbuttons

Oh heck whats going on with it?
    Haha, it loads for me..

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=38998685&albumID=1474712&imageID=26007572

Try that 🙂

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

OH , i can see why you want a cover up .

i think the best way is to go down the japanese route .
    a good artist can cover that up with a dragon , carp , maybe even a geesha fairly easily .
    (from what i have noticed from cover up tattoos anyways )

BowsButtons
    Participant
    @bowsbuttons

Thanks, I’ve been looking into mermaids since they have the whole package when it comes to the aquatic thing.. and especially the whole pin up thing.
    I think since the shape of this bow kind of resembles an hour glass figure it would work well..?

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

I think it would be harder to cover up with one , but not impossible .
    If you find the right professional 🙂

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Bows

The mermaid is possible but you would be looking at a half sleeve/big mermaid piece to cover that up.

Mainly my concern is the size of the tattoo as that would have to be a huge mermaid unless you were willing to expand the tattoo with say waves, fish or a coral throne or such.

This would mean that the mermaid could keep their proportions without looking out of place.

That said I think that the tattoo is kind of sweet and could easily be corrected by an experienced artist.

Have you considered getting the outer linework redone and then you could have some drop shading done on the lettering and some colour adding to the buttons.

Your tattoo is not awful by any means and just needs a bit more love and detailing and it will be fine.

You could always get a mermaid elsewhere by a different artist.

Take Care
    Matthew

Lizzeye
    Participant
    @lizzeye

What about a mermaid with some japanese-style waves around it? then you can get the japanese style without a cliche koi fish.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.