AndrewJ
    Participant
    @andrewj

I am wondering about this UV ink, every artist I have asked won’t touch it and say it hasn’t been tested right and can lead to problems in the skin and even maybe poison you!

I watched this programme “Best Ink” and they had to do a challenge using that shit, it looked really thick compared with other normal inks.

Does anyone know anything about UV Ink and if it is actually ok to use? surely it must be if they use it on TV?

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@AndrewJ 128770 wrote:

if it is actually ok to use? surely it must be if they use it on TV?

Really????
    Just ask someone that has had it in their skin for 20 years.

AndrewJ
    Participant
    @andrewj

@buttwheat 128785 wrote:

Really????
    Just ask someone that has had it in their skin for 20 years.

oh ok, have you/ or know some that has had it for 20 years? Sorry I have never seen it in real life and thought that a tattoo forum was the right place to ask………

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@AndrewJ 128787 wrote:

oh ok, have you/ or know some that has had it for 20 years? Sorry I have never seen it in real life and thought that a tattoo forum was the right place to ask………

It hasn’t been around for twenty years that was the point nobody really knows.
    I wouldn’t use and I wouldn’t put trust in things just because it is on TV

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

“As seen on TV”

I happened to catch some of that episode. I don’t see the point in using it unless you carry a cordless blacklight around.

I wouldn’t touch that ink without it being tested and approved by some government agency like the FDA in the US.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I’m pretty sure it’s forbidden in the EU now. Very strict rules when it comes to tattoo ink, and UV ink is just a no-go.
    Clearly you need some pretty hardcore chemicals to make it light up, and the risk involved is just too big.
    And don’t trust what you see on tv. I’ve seen people get tattooed while on the back of a moving jeep, off road, on tv. Doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea! ;P

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I’ve never heard anyone say anything positive about it – It seems to be harder to heal and many people complain of general discomfort in the area for a long time after tattooing. I think it’s a novel idea, but it’s really not even safe stuff to smear ON your skin, much less IN your skin.

Get a real tattoo in a place you can live with, says the social conservative.

AndrewJ
    Participant
    @andrewj

@GrayCatLove 128814 wrote:

I’ve never heard anyone say anything positive about it – It seems to be harder to heal and many people complain of general discomfort in the area for a long time after tattooing. I think it’s a novel idea, but it’s really not even safe stuff to smear ON your skin, much less IN your skin.

Get a real tattoo in a place you can live with, says the social conservative.

Yh I have don’t get me wrong, but I’m always open to something new….. I am getting the Cheshire cat from American Magees Alice and it would be a nice little touch if the face sorta lit up (only a thought)…. its a shame because it could be cool. I only was thinking to add touches ya know. I know the glow in the dark stuff is really bad because it contains Phosphorus….

looks Like I’ll be staying with the normal best option really.

AndrewJ
    Participant
    @andrewj

@poxphobia 128807 wrote:

I’m pretty sure it’s forbidden in the EU now. Very strict rules when it comes to tattoo ink, and UV ink is just a no-go.
    Clearly you need some pretty hardcore chemicals to make it light up, and the risk involved is just too big.
    And don’t trust what you see on tv. I’ve seen people get tattooed while on the back of a moving jeep, off road, on tv. Doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea! ;P

Yh ok well Jackass is a bit different ๐Ÿ˜‰ but ya know it is a tattoo competition show with some fairly famous people in the industry so it was easier to believe it…….

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

The question is why would you want a UV tattoo, I have a few friends who have them. They are shit.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

I know a guy that has it and has had no adverse reactions. But it has started to yellow.
    And its a pita to apply.

AndrewJ
    Participant
    @andrewj

@Wardy 128838 wrote:

The question is why would you want a UV tattoo, I have a few friends who have them. They are shit.

Just as an accent to normal ones, thats fair enough if you have seen them and they are shite, I just was asking cos I was interested but not anymore really, its a cool idea but if they look really shit then whats the point.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Why not just go for some proper white highlights instead? ๐Ÿ™‚
    It is indeed a cool idea, I thought it was rad the first time I saw it.
    And sure, many people have UV ink in their tattoos, and have had no trouble with it. The problem is that we don’t know the long-term effects on the body, and the possibility of slowly poisoning yourself doesn’t quite seem worth the risk… ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@poxphobia 128850 wrote:

Why not just go for some proper white highlights instead? ๐Ÿ™‚

Some of the newer white inks available are supposed to hold up better over time. Good idea.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Agreed with the white highlight thing. I have white ink in an old tattoo and in a newer one, and done right, it’s beautiful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.