anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates

For my second tattoo, I got an Irish claddagh on the outer side of my right foot today. I got it at about 5:30pm, and I noticed tonight, starting at 2am, that some of the lines in it look as if the ink has spread under the skin. The lines were very sharp when the tattoo was first done, so naturally, I am very worried. I have a tattoo in the same area on my left, and have never had any problems with it. It still looks very sharp.

I have been looking online and am familiar with “tattoo blowout.” However, others say that it might just be part of the healing process; it could be excess ink deposited in the very top layer of the skin, and, during the healing process, that ink will disappear. So, which one is it?

I am very concerned because the area where the ink has seeped out into is much larger and darker than the pictures of blowout I’ve seen online. This tattoo hurt less than the one on my left foot, so I find it hard to believe that the artist might have gone too deep when he was tattooing me. Furthermore, I looked at his book, and he is a very skilled artist. I guess I don’t want to believe that he made a mistake.

Demure
Participant
@demure

So that we at the forums can get a better idea of what you’re talking about, you may want to take a picture and attach it to the above post.

anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates

helpy.jpg

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

It is a bit early to tell however the excess ink should wash away within 5 days of the tattoo.

If it has blown looking at the picture it is easily corrected with some extra shading along the lines and within the crest itself.

You really need to give it a couple of weeks and then check it again. Also any chance of a sharper picture?

Take Care
Matthew

anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates

I went to see the artist who did my tattoo today.

When I got the tattoo on my left foot, my artist told me to put a layer of A +D on it 3 times a day. I did that, and that tattoo looks great.

The artist who did my new tattoo, on my right foot, told me to put a thin layer of Aquafore (specifically not A +D, only Aquafore) on the tattoo daily. When I went to see him today, he said that my new tattoo has too much ointment on it. The female tattooist next to him agreed with him as well. He said that it shouldn’t look shiny, even if I have ointment on it, to go home, wash it, let it dry out completely (until it looks a little scabby), and then put a very small amount (pin size) of ointment on it.

He said with a new tattoo, when the saran wrap is put on, it causes the skin to retain a lot of ink. If you put too much ointment on after taking off the saran wrap, the skin will still hold the excess ink in.

He also said that when a tattoo is blown out, the haze around the ink is a very distinct green/blue color. Because the haze around the ink my foot is black, he said it is just excess ink that will come out as the tattoo heals and dries up. The female tattooist next to him also agreed with him on this point. I noticed this morning, while driving to see him, that some black ink was coming off on to my finger when I touched the tattoo, but not enough for the tattoo to no longer have the appearance of being blown out anymore.

I do believe him: he has a very impressive book, has done celebrity work, seems very knowledgeable about tattooing, and etc., but I just wanted to check with everyone in here about it. So, what do ya’ll think? Is he right?

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

He maybe hoping you will just ride it out until it heals…then forget about it. The picture posted does look blown out. Any excess ink would normally come off in the shower, or during daily washing. A blow out is sub dermal and may continue to fade a little as it spreads, but will never dissappear. That being said…
I agree with Sherav, in that fixing the blow out should be pretty easy. I have fixed more than a few blown lines by shading off of it. This will also leave you with a better tattoo imo. A little shading goes a long way.
Aquaphor sucks balls BTW.

anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates

Well, some ink did come off when I came home and washed it a little while ago. The lines are starting to shape up a little bit too.

After it heals, I am definitely going to get it shaded, regardless of if its blown out or not. I want to get white in the background of the shield, and some major detailing on the hands.

Hopefully it isn’t blown out, but if it is, ya’ll are making me feel a lot better about it and I thank you for that. I was about to cry last night when I found out I might have a blow out.

Also, what do you think I should use instead of Aquafore? Go back to A + D? I just want to use whatever will keep it moist enough, but dry at the same time.

I hate this because I am such anxious person. I called Elm Street Tattoo, where Kat VonD’s ex-hubby Oliver works, and he said to come to him in two weeks and get it fixed. Hopefully he can do a good job!

Demure
Participant
@demure

Elm Street Tattoo is full of a bunch of arrogant pricks. Yes use A+D. I’ve had no problems with it. Use a very thin layer. It’s your body, if you have a blow out and it’s clearly a blow out to you, don’t let some douche know it all tell you it isn’t. It’s your body, and he better fucking fix his error. You have to live with his mistake for the rest of your life, not him. Take control of your life; take control of your body. You did the right thing by asking us.

anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates

After almost two months of healing, the tattoo ended up having uneven lines and obvious blow out. I went to Elm Street Tattoo (they couldn’t have been nicer to me, seriously) two days ago and had Bubba fix the blow out. He did a better job than I even had imagined the tattoo ever looking. He shaded in the hands with black, made the arrows larger (which they were supposed to be in the first place), fixed the color, and etc. I’m going to post pictures of it when it has healed and the shading is more obvious. Thanks everyone!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.