vaggerbond
    Participant
    @vaggerbond

Hi,

My name is Jessie and I am 20 years old.

I’ve been thinking about getting a tattoo for the last 4 years. I’ve always wanted to get a personal tattoo that is for me.

About a year ago a friend of mine suggested getting a tattoo with the words “be yourself” because in many ways I am quite different. However, I thought it would look silly to get just the words “be yourself”. A few months ago I stumbled onto the latin phrase “sequere naturam tuam” which literally means “follow your nature” but in a phrase sense means “be yourself”. I thought this was perfect as latin is a language that is very rarely used nowadays and would therefore personalise the tattoo even more as the only way someone could know what it means is if I choose to tell them or not.
    I’m going to get it on the inside of my upper right arm. The reason being that it is not incredibly visible and is therefore more personal and more for me than for other people to see.

picjoq.png

I know the design is very basic but that is exactly what I want. I’m asking for your opinions on this design (good or bad) and also for your experiences – whether you have a tattoo in that place, whether a tattoo like this has effected job opportunities (my mum is worried about this for me), and also whether you feel that by having a tattoo people have treated you differently.

Thanks.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

I like the design then again I believe “simplicity is genius”

Since it is on your upper inner arm I can’t see anyone future employer having a problem with it.

Just stay away from neck, hand and face tattoos!

Phat_Goddess
    Participant
    @phat_goddess

I really like it. It’s simple and has meaning to you. I think having a tattoo there isn’t really going to affect potential job opportunities too much. It’s easily hidden. Since having a tattoo no one really has treated me differently. Mine’s very visible since it’s on my inner right forearm, and generally is used to open up conversation lol.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

i think it will make a nice tattoo

vaggerbond
    Participant
    @vaggerbond

Thanks for the replies guys. Also i’m planning to go into my local tattoo shop to get a price for this but anyone got a very rough estimate of what I can expect to pay for this?
    Thanks

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Anywhere from $80.00 on the low side to as much as $200.00 on the high side. Of course that is prices in Texas. It might differ wherever you are.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

she is from london
    how large do you want it done ?
    i would guess if you was to have it the size you posted about 50+
    london prices could be more ? i never been in a tattoo shop in london so i dont know :rolleyes:

vaggerbond
    Participant
    @vaggerbond

I want it maybe a bit smaller than the pic the shop i’m going to has a £50 minimum spend and i’m a student at the moment so i’m hoping its around the £50 – £80 mark so I can rustle up the money to get it done! It’s really annoying cos i’m not back home in London until Tuesday next week so I have to wait until then to go and enquire at my local tattoo shop!

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

I’m going to differ from the crowd and tell you that text only tattoos are almost universally lame, and while they look good on paper, often look like crap on your skin. I’ve only seen one exception, and in that case the lettering was so large, flowing, and subtly shaded with green and black that it became more of a design than text anyway.

Besides, the upper arm is some prime real estate for tattoos–why waste it on such on unimpressive piece?

In the end, it’s your skin, so do what pleases you, but for my two cents, this ain’t such a great idea.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

well not everyone is into large tattoos . this is going to be your 1st isnt it ?

vaggerbond
    Participant
    @vaggerbond

It is my first yes. I was at first looking into getting an image but I couldn’t find anything that would fit with the message or with what I liked. Plus i’m not planning on getting more than maybe 1 more tattoo and not for a very long time so i’m not bothered about taking up prime space. Thanks for your opinion anyway though because that is what I asked for!

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

If you are near camden i would recommend Evil From The Needle – some very talented artists there.

The tattoo will look sweet.

The cost is gonna be at London prices about £75 to £120 or so depending on size if quite small I reckon £80-£90 for a med size and less for a small.

Take Care
    Matthew

vaggerbond
    Participant
    @vaggerbond

Hi Matthew I live really near to Camden. I’ve had a look at their website and their work looks great I think i’m gonna go in and talk with them about prices and an appointment. Thanks for the recommendation as i’m not too sure about my local tattoo shop regarding its experience. Have you had work done there before?
    Thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.