Caleson
    Participant
    @caleson

Hi everyone. This is my debut post.

A British co-worker of mine wants to show his homeland pride with a flaming Union Jack tattoo on his forearm. I’m a graphic designer/illustrator, so he asked me to draw up his tattoo. I’ve started sketching some concepts but am uncertain about it. I’m thinking it will be a cross between a tattered flag and flames, but since it will cover his entire forearm, I don’t know if I should make one whole flag for his inner arm and another flag for the outer arm, or just one flag design wrapping around the whole forearm. He wants the flag to be easily recognizable but with a bit of a “flame lick” visual.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.
    Cale

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there Cale,patriotism is a great quality to have is he/she proud of being british, english , Irish, Scottish or Welsh ? I ask this question simply because the Union Jack is made up of the four countries that is the UK, perhaps your friend may prefer a more specific inclusion of his/her country of origin also…who knows give a shot maybe ?. good luck Hoani.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

For the tattoo are you wanting to design a half sleeve (one that covers both the inner and outer forearm) or are you just wanting to focus on the outer forearm?

To be honest if it is a flag I would suggest a singular piece that either rests on the outer forearm or wraps around the forearm rather than 2 tattoos. otherwise it will look rather odd.

(I would lean towards a singular piece that rests on the top or inner forearm rather than a sleeve – this allows full attention on the flag rather than it being wrapped – but both designs can work)

If you are wanting some inspiration perhaps you could check out this link

http://sequencek.com/2007/11/12/TheTrooper_Home.jpg

Whip some flames on that and should be good to go – also need to make sure the Union Jack is the right way up. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Take Care
    Matthew

Caleson
    Participant
    @caleson
    hoani;43259 wrote:
    is he/she proud of being british, english , Irish, Scottish or Welsh ?

Judging by the accent, he must be either British or English. I’ll bring this up if I remember to. Thanks, Hoani.

Sherav;43260 wrote:
    If you are wanting some inspiration perhaps you could check out this link

http://sequencek.com/2007/11/12/TheTrooper_Home.jpg

I’m quite familiar with that art; I even have the action figure based on it. Piece of Mind is an excellent album. ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m not sure if he wants an entire half-sleeve or not. We discussed it briefly a couple weeks ago and the main emphasis was a flaming flag design going up the whole forearm. I’m starting to think I’ll have just one flag along the outer forearm which could maybe wrap into the inner forearm a little. I might scan some of my illustrations to post here before showing them to him. Thanks, Matthew.

scottishbeagle
    Participant
    @scottishbeagle
    Caleson;43273 wrote:
    Judging by the accent, he must be either British or English. I’ll bring this up if I remember to. Thanks, Hoani.

this stuff drives me crazy ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

From the sound of it a wrap would make more sense and look great

Let us know how it goes!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.