Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

I actually posted this in ‘Inked Skin’ forum, yet I see now I should have posted it here. My apologies.

Anyway, I have planned this tattoo for months, I have described to the artist exactly what I wish, I had a sketch I confirmed drawn up, and had a bad tattoo done. I cannot explain how dissapointed and regretful I am, so instead, I’ll just show you my tattoo and anticipate your suggestions for improvement. How can I make the bird look like an actualy bird? Should I have the clouds extended into a full clouds scenery, What will make this piece something I can be actualy proud of and not ashamed?

Anything that can make this experience more pleasent will be truely appreciated.

img0514y.th.jpg

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there Jesse, we need a clearer pic its difficult to determine what the image is K ?,good luck Hoani

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

The concept for the tattoo is absolutely storming and it was a great idea you came up with for a custom piece.

The tattoo itself – yes it does need some more work but to be honest it is not a complete dogs dinner just needs some fine work.

I will break my suggestions down so you can decide what to regard/disregard

Clouds – this is one of the most important parts as forms the background on which the rest of the tattoo is centred.

As you mentioned these need to be externed further up and around the tattoo. They also need some deeper outline and shading to make the look more smoky at the bottom.

You also need to darken the top part of the clouds if that bird is riding the storm then the clouds where it was darkened a little need to look more full and angry.

You can do deeper more billowing clouds at the top to achieve this

Rays – There are 2 things that you can do here.

1. Reshade them to make them more a little more bolder and add some better depth of shading. (I would recommend a sliding depth of shade lighter to darker).

2. Add just a hint of colour maybe white highlights or red/yellow so it really does look like the sun is bursting from the clouds .

Bird _ i get what you mean here it def needs some more work – best way is prob to se a mixture of highlights and bold lining to define the feathers more.

You could maybe have a couple of small feathers being buffeted away on the winds.

Numbers – These are not so bad but if you want a surrealist look you can have an artist add a melting effect by having a dissolving trail from them or echoes in light shading above and behind or even below them like a shadow.

Spears – These def need their line work ixing as a bit wobbly – get them bolded and add soem more shading and will look sweet.

Take Care
    Matthew

Marcus M6
    Participant
    @marcus-m6

Hi

to be honest its not as bad as you are saying it is, Yea the shading needs to be re-done but i wouldnt say its garbage. from the picture you gave i don’t think anyone who sees it will say thats a shit tattoo. If you dont want to go back that artist have it touched up by another.

Dont worry so much
    Cheers
    Marcus

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

First of all, thank you all very much for your replies, this is my first tattoo and It took me almost an year to finalize my concept, thus it is so important for me to have the design live up to my expectations.

Mathew, your repsonse is wonderful and I will definetly use it as referance when explaining to an artist what I want to improve on. I’ll do my best to update the topic as I progress along with it, and would love to hear more suggestions as I take your opinion seriously.

Cheers!

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

i agree highlights would work. i think the main problem with the bird is it doesnt really have much of a head.
    if you had it re shaped slightly and then some highlights it could be a sweet little tattoo

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

Well, I really hope the bird’s head can be redone, seeing as how everything is black, and stuffed together, it might be difficult to reshape things, no?

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

you would be amazed what highlights could do for a tattoo by the right person .

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

Okay, so let me see if I got this right. He is what I should explain to the artist I want improving the tattoo:

I tell him to extend the clouds all around, and improve the shading. Perhaps about a little white highlights over them, would that work? As for the rays, add a hint of warm color to portray a sunset feeling, and for the bird? What can be done for my little, pitiful bird? Would extending her tail into a Swallow like work? Can I completely cover the head with a new one? It’s obviously too dark to give her facial features at this point. What about adding little talons? The numbers, and spears, I am fine with. It’s the awful bird and clouds scene I am worried about.

P.S
    Another thing promised to me by the artist was that the beauty mark won’t be seen once the tat is done (he was too lazy to resketch it for my other arm), yet as you see he was wrong. Is there anyway I can cover it?

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

is it a birth mark or a mole ? normally tattoo artist dont ink over them

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

It’s a simple, flat, medium sized beauty mark. Not a mole.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

I think the idea is great and with a few touch ups as Mathew suggested above you are going to have a killer tattoo!

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

Tattoo was fixed! I think it’s much better now. Still not as I would have hoped for, but I’m satisfied. 🙂

21062009136.th.jpg

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

The highlighting looks so much better and the head of the bird does as well.
    A very sweet looking tattoo!

Take Care
    Matthew

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there, looks good satisfaction guanranteed good luck Hoani

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.