Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

I got my first tattoo a week ago as some of you know and I’m planning on improving it soon, but now that I got the first one I feel ready for the next one, which is an Idea that I have had in the back of my mind for a long time. Bear with me, for this is very important to me, and your opinions are valuable.

Being an artistic person, there was a time I tried to explore my inner most feelings and thoughts and write them down. I sort of let myself go, slept entire days away, and all I did at the time was get up at night, sit down in front my computer and write down all types of stories. I became very lonely, even sad, but I loved that time. It was beautiful, and it formed my love for writing. Allthough my stories were very sad, and made many readers weep, they had a beautiful melancholy behind them, just like life itself. The best way to described it, is to quote one my favorites songs which goes by the same name – ‘Misery is a butterfly’.

So a very abstract and early idea for the design is this – Have a sort of tiny wound, maybe evn a trail of blood tattoed on my shoulder (or leg), and have a little black butterfly sit on it, maybe even ‘coming out’ of the wound. To top it off, I’ll add little writing saying ‘Misery is a butterfly’. I know a butterfly tattoo is a little feminine, but I honestly don’t care. The idea behind it is both related to the story I told you about, and also in the sense that I believe every ‘bad’ or painful experience in life is just a path leading up to something beautiful, be it an important lesson, or just a wonderful thing that builds upon that earlier misery.

So, now that the story is over, hoping anyone managed to read it all – What is your opinion?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

I like the idea overall I think it would make a very unique tattoo.

You could consider having the butterfly wings as the wounds in your shoulder. The torn skin with the bloodied outline could make the winsg with the text written across the them.

Take Care
    Matthew

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird
    Sherav;41783 wrote:
    Hi

I like the idea overall I think it would make a very unique tattoo.

You could consider having the butterfly wings as the wounds in your shoulder. The torn skin with the bloodied outline could make the winsg with the text written across the them.

Take Care
    Matthew

You mean that as in a wings shaped wound? That is an interesing idea, although maybe a bit on the gore side. Not to say a wound with a butterfly on it isn’t, but i’ll definetly give that a thought.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Jesse

If you have gentle beading of the blood rather than torn and wide wound this will produce a less gory style of wings.

Just tossing ideas around – keep us posted what you decide.

Take Care
    Matthew

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

Well, I have played around with the idea, asked a lot of people what they think, and honestly I’m getting some awful feedback over the butterfly thing. I am doing this tattoo mostly for myself, of course, but eventually I still want to show it to people and get good responses, so I’m thinking maybe find a different way of expressing the same idea. Any non-butterfly suggestions?

wak
    Participant
    @wak

It sounds as though the written word really is your artistic expression of choice. I’ve seen some amazing tattoos that use typographical elements such as words or phrases or lyrics that can be as poignant as a graphic. Perhaps some of your own prose set in a unique way would get out the feeling you’re trying to express?

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

hey there jesse,nah man stay with the butterfly its far more poignant and indicates the delicate balance between life and death. I would trap the wing in the blood as becomes congealed and hardens. The butterflys wings have a kind of powdery texture that comes away on your hand if you touch it,use that to heighten the effect of the trapped wing ( the trapped wing would become coated and shiney) I wouldn’t make the wound to heavy a long trailing scratch from the point of the shoulder to the small of the back sounz cool to me. The overall angle and shape would be easy enough to add to without it being too imbalanced, good luck Hoani. P.S. hopes this is beyond opinions.

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird

Well, Hoani, All of a sudden I’m a little hesitant with the butterfly concept, even though I think it’s the best way to express the idea. I’ll have to give it some more time to see if I can do it with no regrets.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

I have a butterfly with a victorian style skull as a head with six shooters in its wings on the side of my leg and no one has ever thought it to be feminine

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Jesse Bird;41782 wrote:
    I got my first tattoo a week ago as some of you know and I’m planning on improving it soon, but now that I got the first one I feel ready for the next one, which is an Idea that I have had in the back of my mind for a long time. Bear with me, for this is very important to me, and your opinions are valuable.

Being an artistic person, there was a time I tried to explore my inner most feelings and thoughts and write them down. I sort of let myself go, slept entire days away, and all I did at the time was get up at night, sit down in front my computer and write down all types of stories. I became very lonely, even sad, but I loved that time. It was beautiful, and it formed my love for writing. Allthough my stories were very sad, and made many readers weep, they had a beautiful melancholy behind them, just like life itself. The best way to described it, is to quote one my favorites songs which goes by the same name – ‘Misery is a butterfly’.

Cheer up emo kid.

Seriously, dry those crocodile tears, wipe the mascara off, throw those Evanescence and Jimmy Eats World CDs away, and for God’s sake, stop staring at your navel and go headbutt an Englishman. You’ll feel so much better.

Seriously, you’re giving those of us who actually do art a bad name. More Hemmingway, less bad Emo poetry.

“Slings and arrows, slings and arrows, they always hurl at me slings and arrows!”

Jesus.

Lover. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

My dear KnightHawk

Once again you are pertaining fisticuffs against your betters – as an Englishman it will simply have to be pistols at dawn.

Of course been a Lord and Master I have my lackey to do the actual business of shooting… ๐Ÿ˜€

Seriously though

You want a butterfly then get one – as long as you like it who gives a damn what others think.

If they pay your bills and entertain you then maybe they have a say but when it comes down to it there is nothing feminine about getting a butterfly.

The femininity is in the artwork which can be just as absent as long as you tell the artist how you want it.

My advice is give it all a couple of months and see how you feel about it.

Take Care
    Matthew

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird
    KnightHawk;41840 wrote:
    Cheer up emo kid.

Seriously, dry those crocodile tears, wipe the mascara off, throw those Evanescence and Jimmy Eats World CDs away, and for God’s sake, stop staring at your navel and go headbutt an Englishman. You’ll feel so much better.

Seriously, you’re giving those of us who actually do art a bad name. More Hemmingway, less bad Emo poetry.

“Slings and arrows, slings and arrows, they always hurl at me slings and arrows!”

Jesus.

Lover. Peace. Metallica.

You know, ever since I came to these forums I keep seeing these sarcastic, condescending responds by you. I was kind of hoping you will try it with me. Seriously, if I met you in real life, I swear to god I would kick your ass and stomp you’re negative attidute out of your fucking big head.

Emo kid? Do you even know me? If you could only meet me and say that to my face.
    You think I’m some American boy you can categorize into a stereotype you picked up in highschool?

In any other case, I wouldn’t let your comment get to me or try to prove anything, but you really need to get your attitude fixed up, one way or another. I’m not an emo kid, I’m a soldier in the army with little time to read what you describe as Emo poetry, so no navel or Jimmy eat world here. Try and fit your little world view on someone else, kid.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Oh my gawd.

You are so adorable!!

I could just eat you right up!

Now, on to more serious business, I agree with Matthew’s sentiments. This sounds like a design that could work very well in the hands of a competent artist, and while if done well it will be very elegant, I wouldn’t call it feminine. The two just get confused alot.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Jesse Bird
    Participant
    @jesse-bird
    KnightHawk;41845 wrote:
    Oh my gawd.

You are so adorable!!

I could just eat you right up!

Now, on to more serious business, I agree with Matthew’s sentiments. This sounds like a design that could work very well in the hands of a competent artist, and while if done well it will be very elegant, I wouldn’t call it feminine. The two just get confused alot.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

See? I knew there is a human being hiding behind that sarcastic-non-caring Extravaganza you put up. Thank you for your opinion.

๐Ÿ™‚

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Jesse

I have to correct you on a couple of points;

First of all when he says he could eat you right up – he meant it literally.

KH is a serial cannibal (or is mass cannibal? – he did eat 3 of his friends on a trip to New York).

Also the rumour he is human is false KH simply created himself (some suggest black magic was involved – but who would go that dark??).

๐Ÿ˜€

Matthew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.