beatlejohn
    Participant
    @beatlejohn

hi all
    im new here. just got a cool tattoo of john lennon on my forearm about a month ago its totally healed i just wanted to know wat the best moisturizer to use to keep it looking good? and is it possible to put too much moisterizer on it? theres alot of diff messages going round some say yes some say no.
    any help would be great
    cheers

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

johnsons baby oil kept my colour nice and bright .
    only need a tiny bit as it goes a long way and only use it once the tattoo is fully healed

@sesso

I like lubriderm cuz it has no smell

BeesKnees
    Participant
    @beesknees

I used Bepanthan, there’s a special one for tattoo aftercare. I dnt think it matters if you put to much on. I started putting it on the day after i got it done, and every single day after that until it had healed. You just have to be really gentle.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

I still to this day (after tat has healed) moisturize. It’s a good thing to keep doing to keep the brilliance of your inks and skin. I use Jergens Shea Butter because it has a very gentle scent and I’m hypo allergenic. This means I’m allergic to most everything, but I’m not allergic to this. It also helps for razor burn, stretch marks, and scars. It’s a good multi-purpose lotion.

sevanace
    Participant
    @sevanace

Aveeno in the blue label…..everyone has their favorite that’s mine.I use during healing and beyond ..

Sailor_Emma
    Participant
    @sailor_emma

Savlon works really well. I’ve used it with all my tattoos.

Calandryll
    Participant
    @calandryll

just be sure that whatever moisturizer you use it does not contain any of the following ingredients:

anything from the Benzophenone family – Can can trigger an immune system response that includes itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering of skin.

Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) – These chemicals have been nicknamed the gender benders because they mimic the female hormone estrogen. Estrogen mimics are thought to be partly responsible for the decrease in male fertility and rise in testicular cancer observed since the 1950’s. BHA can trigger an immune system response that includes itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering of skin.

Ceteareth-12 and Ceteareth-20 – Possible contamination with cancer causing residues. It is a penetration enhancer which alters the skin’s structure, allowing other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin, increasing the amount of other chemicals that reach the bloodstream (as well as making your tattoo blury)

Glycolic acid (AHAs) – AHAs can trigger an immune system response that includes itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering of skin. They are penetration enhancers which alter the skin’s structure, allowing other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin, increasing the amounts of other chemicals that reach the bloodstream. AHA’s are photosensitisers, with potential to increase risk of sunburn and skin cancer by intensifying UV exposures in deep skin layers. AHA is also toxic to the liver and kidneys.

Propylene glycol – Can cause contact dermatitis, irritation to eyes, skin and mucous membranes.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – Eye irritant, can cause eczema, skin irritation and dry skin.

Sodium olefin sulfonate – Can cause contact dermatitis, skin & eye irritation, dry skin

Triethanolamine (TEA) – Can cause severe facial dermatitis and contact dermatitis. Thought to possibly cause cancer in humans. Also potentially contamination with cancer causing residues.

there are many more, but those are the big ones that you can find in most lotionbody care products. Remember, that even your shampoo that contains SLS when it runs down and gets on your tattoo it can cause eczsema (its like a really bad rash under your top layers of skin).

Note – anything that causes an immune system reaction can be harmfull to your tattoo, as to your body, the tattoo is a foreign body, and the immune system if triggered in the area of your new tattoo, may attempt to attack the tattoo as well as the chemicals in the lotion.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

And your citations for all of this information are? (I’m not doubting, but it would further help your accountability with links and research notes and what have you.) Otherwise, the general reader has to take your word for it, or assume you know what you’re talking about without actually knowing you.

P.s HAPPY 100th post to ME!!

Calandryll
    Participant
    @calandryll

as with everything you should research it yourself if you have any doubts… you can search for “chemicals in lotions” or anything like that and get a million results… They all say pretty much the same things…

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

truth be told.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.