Bryt Tepes
    @

My tattoo artist instructed me to use “Polysporin” on my tattoo while it healed, but I have been told be friends and have seen on other artist’s websites that it is very bad for the tattoo, and will cause it to heal inproperly or make the tattoo look bad.

Has anyone else had problems with this?

freespiritinsc
    @

I have two tattoos and I used Neosporine on both of them and they both still look great! But don’t get the Neosporine with Pain Relief in it, just get the usual one.

BluRey
    @

poly means many, sporin means antibacterial. so you are just putting on an antibacterial on which is good, the other thing you might want to put on is a moisturizer.-blurey

Wes
    Participant
    @wes

I have two tattoos and have used antibiotic ointment or lotion each time. I highly recommend it.

lindsay_jo_294
    Participant
    @lindsay_jo_294

Polysporin and A&D ointments pull color out of the tattoo. It’s best to use Aquaphor. It doesn’t pull out the ink.
    LA Ink reccommends it:
    http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/la-ink/kat_corner/tattoo-tips/tattoo-tips.html
    My artist does as well:
    http://www.smoothfx.com/Instructions_tattoo.html

ufoshit
    @

Please use Aquaphor for 3 days. then switch to uncent lotion for 3 weeks or until heal.. you will have no problem.

ufoshit
    @

Please use Aquaphor for 3 days. then switch to uncent lotion for 3 weeks or until heal.. you will have no problem.

pinkiesue
    Participant
    @pinkiesue

so it is ok to use poly on a new tattoo as i just got mine friday april 17 2009 and it is looking a little pink around the edges .

Marcus M6
    Participant
    @marcus-m6

Who ever your artist is that is recommending polysporin, you should stop going there. Polysporin is for infection and clearly a tattoo is an open wound. It ends up taking colour out of your tattoo. Actually to be perfectly honest you dont even need to use and moisturizer during the healing process, it will heal fine without it.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

The answer is somewhere inbetween.

Polysporin can lift ink (as can any other anitbacterial or antiseptic cream).
    That said it will only lift ink if used in too much abundance.

The reason that tattoo artists suggest this stuff also A&D and Savlon etc for teh first couple of days is because you have an open wound on your arm.

Until that tattoo scabs over/seals shut you are highly open to infection. That is why it is suggested that a sterile-non stick dressing is applied for the first 12-24 hrs.

The best way to use polysporin etc is with extreme care.

For the first 2-3 days apply a small amount just enough to cover the surface area. Do not slather on half a bottle/tub. You need only apply it once in morning and once at night.

This keeps the bacteria out of the cuts and when the scabs form you can swap to a moisturiser of choice such as tattoo goo or aquaphor, (or whatever non-scented lotion you prefer).

If you swamp your tattoo in antiseptic cream after it has scabbed then it will lift ink. This breaks down the scab which contains the pigment that is being held in developing scar tissue.

Hope that helps you decide whether to use it or not.

Take Care
    Matthew

pinkiesue
    Participant
    @pinkiesue

hi ty you for the info i have been doing just what you said but i cant use goo since i am allergic to it ( i have sensitive skin) and the cream i do use sorta stings after a bit so that is why i was asking if it was ok to use poly now that i have a scab on my tattoo i will just have to bite my lip and deal with the sting .

vdub 007
    Participant
    @vdub-007

i’m using webber cream right now. it’s only some vitamins (E) and the base is like the polysporin. kinda greasy.

mohawk19
    Participant
    @mohawk19

The reason polysporin ‘pulls ink out’ is because it’s petroleum based. So is bepanthen. Although antibiotics are good, you can keep the wound clean at all times to help avoid infection & not use the petroleum products. Savlon and bepanthen also both contain paraffin (a wax used to make cheap candles) and it’s known to clog pores which can be problematic during healing. Some waxes are fine but paraffin is definitely not.

So use an antibiotic very sparingly if you must like matthew said, but after day 2 or 3, a quality unscented lotion or a Hemp stick (natural healing ingreds) is all that you’ll need. I’m new here, but I’ve researched the ingredients in all of these products until my eyes cross. I put a LOT of thought & planning into my ink and I want to take care of it.

iNKYBITS
    Participant
    @inkybits

Anti biotoc cream should only be used if infection is there and should never be used on the first day. Check what a doctor has to say about Polysporin etc on Wikipedia. Hope this helps, keep in natural if you can and use nothing wiht paraben preservatives, they could cause you problems later in life. They may have for a lot of ppl already. 😮

dwg20
    Participant
    @dwg20

Polysporin is anti-bacterial, but can lighten the color of your tattoo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.