Mr. Complainer
    @

do the aftercare instruction change if while getting my tattoo it DID NOT bleed….i am very thicked Skined….will it scab….this is my second and my first did not bleed either

lindsay_jo_294
    Participant
    @lindsay_jo_294

Tattoos don’t typically bleed much or at all. Your artist should have given you an after care sheet.

Keep bandage on until you are someplace where you can begin proper care, preferably no longer than ten hours.

After removing the bandage: Wash the tattoo with cool water. Cool water is less likely to stimulate bleeding again. When washing the tattoo, water rinse and/or soak. Gently wipe. Take care to get all the little blood beads off. You can wipe it softly; this will not hurt the tattoo. Basic baby wipes work great..

After washing: Apply a very small amount of the Aquaphor to the tattoo. Whatever you can’t wipe into the skin… wipe off! If later it appears dry… it is, so put more Aquaphor on. Use as sparingly as hand lotion. It is better to use very little more frequently, than to cake it on and leave it.

Don’t re-bandage!
    ••• ICE YOUR TATTOO •••
    Note: Putting an ice pack on the tattoo helps to reduce swelling and reduces the secretion of body fluids. Body fluids will only create heavier scabbing, making further care more difficult.

CONTINUE TO WASH every 2 to 5 hours and apply the ointment as described above. If you wake up to what seems like the beginning of scabbing, SOAK IT OFF!

For getting ready for bed: After putting on the Aquaphor, put plastic wrap (Cling Wrap) over the tattoo. Do this for 5 to 7 nights. This step will prevent drying and scabbing from occurring while sleeping. If you see little red dots around the tattoo, you may be using too much lotion..

If you do not continue to wash as above, then you will get heavy and dry scabbing. At this point, discontinue soaking. Perhaps stop in and/or call your artist. Don’t pick your scabs. If you pick at the scabs, we promise you will lose color.

For the first day or two it will seem as though all is well and there won’t be a scab. You’re not done. Continue to follow the washing instructions for at least 7 days. ONLY USE AQUAPHOR!

Remember, it is almost better to do nothing than to do something wrong. We have found many products will draw the color out of the skin. It doesn’t matter what your “know it all” friends have to say, follow your artist instructions.

Keep tattoo out of the sun. This does not just mean lying out!!! No sun means no sun… period. The sun will damage your tattoo. After the tattoo is healed you should use a sunscreen; we recommend 45-50 SPF. Don’t use a sunscreen formulated for baby skin.
    They are meant for b-a-b-i-e-s! Their skin is much different. Sunscreen will keep your color bright and the color contrast of your skin tone the way it was meant to be. We use your skin tone as a highlighted part of our work. If you tan it, highlights will become low lights, and the effect will change.

Allow the skin to heal with out picking, swimming or tanning or whatever unusual thing you can think of. Use common sense when choosing your wardrobe. If you have questions CALL YOUR ARTIST. Don’t think it is a dumb question, just call… You might really feel dumb if you don’t.

nite_angelica
    Participant
    @nite_angelica

Tattoos don’t normally bleed much, unless there is a lot of shadowing and they go over the same area over and over.

Your artist should have instructed you, but the best thing I’ve found is A&D ointment – just enough to keep it moist, don’t have it slathered on there, because you will lose a lot of ink.

Save your money on that crap they try to sell you in the shop.

swoods
    @

youre tattooist should have told you if the after care would be different. but i don’t see why it would. lots of my tattoos didn’t bleed and i just followed the standard aftercare regimen.

antibacterial soap only(did this in my morning shower)
    lotion after the shower, and before bed(non-scented, non-colored lotion–lubriderm works good)

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Your bleeding will depend alot on the setup and use of the needles used dictated by the style of tattoo you are getting and the knowledge of the artist, I must admit I’ve never seen a tattoo ‘not’ bleed at all in 20 years and I’ve seen alot of artists at work and had alot. The idea is not to make you bleed but still get the pigment in there so to do this and beable to judge consistantly enough to not get any bleeding is pretty skillfull or very lucky. The amount of bleeding is often alot to do with the blood supply to the area and your diet the week or so before and general fitness, eg. if you go for a few beers the night before a tattoo then expect to bleed alot, if you are taking asprin or any other blood thinners then the same, if you diet/eat well and take on plenty of water then you are likely to bleed less.
    Again I have never seen a tattoo not bleed at all and would personally be slightly anxious to see if all the ink stayed in after the healing process.
    All in all just treat it the same as you would any open wound/trauma/graze/cut to the skin, keep it clean and make sure appropriate lotion is used to suspend the scabbing but allowing to breath, as said above less is more with lotion. Personally I use vitamin E.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.